Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 24
    • andyt8
    • By andyt8 12th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    andyt8
    Watch out for Cashplus changing your charges
    Hi,

Watch out is all I can say ~ as this has happened to me.

I applied and got a "Cashplus Freedom" card which was in the best buy section of some other money website as it came with no monthly fee and no charges for purchases or cash withdrawals.

Seemed ideal for me for a card I would use to save up money for birthdays, christmas purchases etc by paying in a regular small amount and only occasionally use for purchases

However, watch out. They changed me over to their standard "Cashplus" card after 12mths which has a £4.95 monthly fee. This is a lot considering I rarely use it for payments but do pay a small amount of money in each month by standing order.

They claim they sent me an email advising me of this change - but I dont remember getting it and cant find it in my archived emails even. I phoned them to complain and they say that according to their terms and conditions this is all they have to do - inform you at least 60days in advance of any change by whatever means they choose. So no letters to your registered home address.

I am planning to withdraw my funds and go elsewhere. Any suggestions for a pre paid debit card with low fees that would suit my usage as above.
    • Superbird
    • By Superbird 13th Sep 17, 3:52 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Superbird
    All fine until I attempted my first purchase online. I received an email saying that the transaction had been declined by my credit card company (Pockit). I contacted Pockit using the contact form on their website asking why the payment had been declined - and after seven days they replied via email. They said that the web site I placed my order on uses 3D Secure authentication - and Pockit are not yet enrolled into this scheme. As the 3D Secure box pops up briefly on several sites I order from, the Pockit card would be of little use to me
    Originally posted by Hertsteve
    There's something funny going on, then, because my ISP uses 3D Secure and I've never had a problem making payments to them with my Pockit card. It's a Mastercard card and they have Mastercard in the card type dropdown and that seems to be good enough.

I was surprised to see all the negative comments about Pockit in this thread because I've had no hint of such difficulties.

The only problem I've ever had with the card is that the local paypoint shop's till throws a wobbly when they try to put it through and says the expiry date is invalid. This is a bug they have known about for two years and haven't fixed yet. The workaround, as posted on the Pockit website, is to type the card number and expiry date in by hand. I've been in with it enough times now though that most of them have remembered how to do it

The only dissatisfaction I have is not Pockit's fault but the bloody government's. Some new regulation that came out a few months ago means I now can't put more than £200 a month through it. In practice, though, I never want to, so it's not a serious limitation.

The only complaint I have is that they insist on sending emails only as text/html without a text/plain part, and picking out the few words of actual content from the great soup of tags is difficult and annoying.

Apart from that it's fine.

Never had anything go missing (paypoint only)

Never had anything fail (at least, that couldn't be got to work by trying it again)

Never had to contact customer service

And the point which greatly disposes me in their favour is that they seem to be the only prepaid card outfit around who are not liars. They said you could get a card without providing any ID and it was actually true. Every other outfit I'd tried - and there were quite a few - conned me into signing up by claiming to not require ID, sent a confirmation email to say they'd received my signup fee and would send the card soon, and then a few days later sent another email saying that actually they'd lied about not requiring ID and they did require it after all. And of course kept the fee. I was astonished and delighted when Pockit turned out to be actually telling the truth and my card arrived and started working with no trouble at all.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 13th Sep 17, 8:10 AM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    And the point which greatly disposes me in their favour is that they seem to be the only prepaid card outfit around who are not liars. They said you could get a card without providing any ID and it was actually true.
    Originally posted by Superbird
    You're correct, but if they can't identify you there will be restrictions on your account; you'll only be a "simple limit" account holder, instead of a "full limit" account holder. That's why you can only deposit £200 per month. If you were a full limit account holder you could deposit £5,000 per month.

https://www.pockit.com/fees/
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 14th Sep 17, 11:07 AM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    eDicky
    I am planning to withdraw my funds and go elsewhere. Any suggestions for a pre paid debit card with low fees that would suit my usage as above.
    Originally posted by andyt8
    Try Loot, no fees (including overseas) except £1 per cash withdrawal after the first two per month, gives you a sort code, account number, and can send and receive to/from any other UK account:

https://loot.io/
    • Superbird
    • By Superbird 14th Sep 17, 9:53 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Superbird
    You're correct, but if they can't identify you there will be restrictions on your account; you'll only be a "simple limit" account holder, instead of a "full limit" account holder. That's why you can only deposit £200 per month. If you were a full limit account holder you could deposit £5,000 per month.
    Originally posted by EarthBoy
    Yes, I know, but my point was that although lots of outfits claim to work like that, only in the case of Pockit is the claim actually true. Hence I was actually able to get a Pockit card in the first place.

Everywhere else I tried that made such a claim (if they didn't, I wouldn't have bothered applying) waited until they had got my signup fee and only then emailed me to say that actually they'd lied and without ID I got nothing - not the "simple limit", but just no account at all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,371Posts Today

6,050Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin