Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Rosie
    • By MSE Rosie 5th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 29Thanks
    MSE Rosie
    MSE News: HSBC and First Direct offer cashback credit and debit card schemes
    • 5th Sep 17, 6:32 PM
    MSE News: HSBC and First Direct offer cashback credit and debit card schemes 5th Sep 17 at 6:32 PM
    First Direct has become the latest bank to offer cashback incentives when you use its credit or debit cards at selected retailers - just a month after sister bank HSBC launched an identical scheme...
    Read the full story:
    'HSBC and First Direct offer cashback credit and debit card schemes - are they any good?'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Page 2
    • flyingflea
    • By flyingflea 8th Sep 17, 11:42 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    flyingflea
    Has anyone else tried this at an Esso station with a Tesco Express attached to it?

I'm not sure I trust the store locations list as it is merely made up of a Google Maps search for "Esso"
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 9th Sep 17, 6:08 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    Terry98
    Have you now actually got the cashback?? Has anyone had the cold hard cash from these offers??
    Originally posted by aadil79
    I got a credit on my account within 5 days of purchase. Maybe not cold hard cash but as good as!

This is very similar to the Nationwide scheme which I have also used a few times. I have had a problem only once when for some reason the purchase did not track but I did query it with them and they paid in the end. By the way these schemes are run by Visa so you direct any problems to them rather than the bank.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 9th Sep 17, 6:11 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    Terry98
    Has anyone else tried this at an Esso station with a Tesco Express attached to it?

I'm not sure I trust the store locations list as it is merely made up of a Google Maps search for "Esso"
    Originally posted by flyingflea
    Somebody didn't get their cashback from Esso/Tesco Express in the link I posted earlier on in this thread.
    • flyingflea
    • By flyingflea 9th Sep 17, 7:22 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    flyingflea
    Somebody didn't get their cashback from Esso/Tesco Express in the link I posted earlier on in this thread.
    Originally posted by Terry98
    I know. It might have been a blip though hence why I was wandering if anyone else had tried. With the Esso cashback on Amex, it worked fine at Esso with Tesco Express
    • andi2
    • By andi2 9th Sep 17, 2:33 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    andi2
    £10 cashback from First Direct for spending £40 in Lidl last week (where I shop anyway). £10 cashback pending for hubby using his card to do the shop this week
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
    • flyingflea
    • By flyingflea 11th Sep 17, 4:09 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    flyingflea
    I asked VISA if the Esso offer can be redeemed from Esso with Tesco Express and they said yes:

Thank you for your query and for using HSBC Visa Offers.

We can confirm that the offer can be redeemed at all Esso branded petrol station, including the ones with Tesco Express attached to it.

Kind regards,

HSBC Visa Offers Support | Visa | visaeurope.com
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 11th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    Rich2808
    I signed up - but it looks very similar to the simply rewards scheme Nationwide have had on their visa credit cards for years.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 12th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    zerog
    I know. It might have been a blip though hence why I was wandering if anyone else had tried. With the Esso cashback on Amex, it worked fine at Esso with Tesco Express
    Just depends on how the store is coded on visa merchant systems
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 12th Sep 17, 5:01 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    youngretired
    Does anyone know if you can get the same deal on each card i.e.using both a HSBC and 1st Direct card?

I know when Nationwide first launched their scheme you were restricted to only being able to register 1 card. But considering these are 2 separate banks but under the same group will it allow a person to be rewarded with the deal twice or will the retailer prevent the cashback.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 12th Sep 17, 9:32 PM
    • 10,694 Posts
    • 6,984 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Does anyone know if you can get the same deal on each card i.e.using both a HSBC and 1st Direct card?

I know when Nationwide first launched their scheme you were restricted to only being able to register 1 card. But considering these are 2 separate banks but under the same group will it allow a person to be rewarded with the deal twice or will the retailer prevent the cashback.
    Originally posted by youngretired
    How do you use two cards for one transaction?
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 12th Sep 17, 10:19 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    youngretired
    By doing 2 purchases, as the deals are on for a while.
    • flyingflea
    • By flyingflea 12th Sep 17, 10:59 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    flyingflea

Originally posted by youngretired
    Yeah I redeemed the Lidl and Esso cashback on both my HSBC and First Direct cards. You can register as many different cards as you like, you just need to register each one individually with its own email address.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 13th Sep 17, 5:54 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    Terry98
    You can register as many different cards as you like, you just need to register each one individually with its own email address.
    I think you can have more than one card on each account eg Credit and Debit but as you say you do need to register for each bank separately.

The Nationwide scheme is the same as HSBC and First Direct and as far as Lidl is concerned they only appear to offer one redemption per bank and they don't seem to offer it again.
    • Newway
    • By Newway 14th Sep 17, 12:12 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Newway
    This may be asked before, is first direct and HSBC considered different banks?
    e.g. If I switch from HSBC to First direct or vice versa, would that be consider a bank switch?
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 20th Sep 17, 8:07 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    sausage_time
    Are people getting the cashback they expect in a timely manner? For three transactions, one (Boots) was notified and paid within days. Two others (Esso, using his and her cards). For one of these, transaction on the 6th Sept, email confirmation on the 11th, but no cashback yet. The other Esso was on 8th - not heard a thing! I'll give it a bit longer before complaining, just wondered what others were seeing.
    • keiran
    • By keiran 20th Sep 17, 10:30 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    keiran
    What is the situation if I registered and used for 2 offers both an HSBC debit card, and an HSBC credit card?

The site does allow for the registration of up to 5 HSBC cards - I can't see any reason for having more than one registered unless that was the purpose.

I did make 2 separate purchases from Boots, qualifying in all respects for the offer and using the different cards. Now waiting to hear from hsbcvisaoffers as to whether I get one or 2 cashback rewards
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 21st Sep 17, 5:45 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    Terry98
    What is the situation if I registered and used for 2 offers both an HSBC debit card, and an HSBC credit card?

The site does allow for the registration of up to 5 HSBC cards - I can't see any reason for having more than one registered unless that was the purpose.

I did make 2 separate purchases from Boots, qualifying in all respects for the offer and using the different cards. Now waiting to hear from hsbcvisaoffers as to whether I get one or 2 cashback rewards
    Originally posted by keiran
    Most of the offers say 'Offer valid for one purchase' and 'Available on all registered cards'

By that I would say you can only redeem the offer once using any of your registered cards but it will be interesting to see how they award your Boots purchases.
    • qsk
    • By qsk 21st Sep 17, 12:32 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    qsk

Originally posted by keiran
    I hope you registered them to two different accounts/emails. Otherwise, I expect you will only receive one lot.
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 21st Sep 17, 2:01 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    sausage_time
    Two cards on one account - his and hers. Which as far as I understand is allowed.

From the on-line help on the website:
    Can I register more than one card?

Once you have successfully registered with one card and signed in, you can add up to 4 more first direct Visa cards in 'My Account'
    • qsk
    • By qsk 22nd Sep 17, 11:20 AM
    • 242 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    qsk
    Two cards on one account - his and hers. Which as far as I understand is allowed
    Originally posted by sausage_time
    Yes, it is definitely allowed. No argument there.
    However, cashback is based on the account you register with visaoffers.eu, rather than cards. Each account can only have one pot of cashback, no matter which card you registered on the account is used.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,193Posts Today

6,565Users online

Martin's Twitter