Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 3
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 23rd Jan 13, 4:58 PM
    • 20,264 Posts
    • 12,510 Thanks
    dacouch
    Where do they hide the opt-out for direct marketing clls? MSE says it's hard to find in the article but don't say where it is (a modification needed to the text there, folks). I can usually find these things but cannot get locate it here.
    Originally posted by targaid
    MSE owned or about to be owned by Moneysupermarket
  • Aaron
    MSE owned or about to be owned by Moneysupermarket
    Originally posted by dacouch
    See the footer. Do you think MSE will improve the Moneysupermarket epic fail website, or will Moneysupermarket drag MSE down to its level?
    • passau91
    • By passau91 5th Mar 13, 10:18 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    passau91
    I'm trying to get a quote from Moneysupermarket, but it asked me to sign in, which I did as I had previously obtained quotes from this site, but now it keeps going round in circles - it has not retained any previous details, and when I try to click on 'Get a new quote', it just takes me back to my account, where it won't let me proceed other than in that same circle. The lesson is, don't sign in!!!
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 26th Sep 14, 6:22 PM
    • 9,596 Posts
    • 6,995 Thanks
    Crabman
    On a car insurance quote from MoneySupermarket, a customer can opt-out of all the marketing options by ticking/unticking various boxes.

However, when you try to submit the details for a quote and you've missed something out or entered something incorrectly, the page refreshes and whilst all the other details remain the same, the site reinstates the tick boxes, thus reversing the customer's wish to opt-out. It is easy to miss this and inadvertently opt-in.

No other comparison site I've used has used that sort of tactic...
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• teecee90
    • By teecee90 8th Feb 15, 11:30 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    teecee90
    The website is completely unusable. I have been trying to get a quote. A number of my details have changed (home phone number, employers business, under 16s in the household etc.

I have tried about a dozen times to update my details but as soon as I enter the date of my renewal it reverts all the details I just changed to their previous values. So frustrating - I will take my business elsewhere.
    • condoghost
    • By condoghost 7th Apr 15, 4:07 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    condoghost
    MSE you are #Ace Absolutely - no doubts on that front.
    This year Home Insurance and now Car Insurance. It is so easy to open each of the links in a new tab, sign-in to each, review/update my details, press that magic button, and off we go.
    Everything we need to see across the board - okay, not exactly "across the board" - but then you go down each list to find the first in each with ticks in every box, compare that price with the others above with their extras added, and you see exactly what you want within minutes.
    CompareThe Market, MoneySuperMarket, Confused.com, GoCompare + 1, 2 or 3 not on the comparison sites + any attractive Hot Deals comparisons miss.
    30-minutes work if you've not registered with them all before; 10-minutes otherwise scroll-and-review. Half way through you've already decided which is the best for you this year but never mind, you keep going for peace-of-mind.

This year again it is MoneySupermarket that comes out top with it's easy simples across-the-board tick tick tick though there are times you'd like that header to stay where it is to remind you which column is which but hey, why be picky when that's the case with all of them

What's so great with MoneySuperMarket is that you can clearly see what-is-what there at the top of the page and then down the list of quotes they provide you. You know you're comparing Apples to Apples right there on the page

I've saved £107=00 compared to the "Thank-you for choosing ---- Car Insurance for the last 12 months" auto-renewal letter that hit my floor this week!
    Wish List: A moderator approving links submitted by newbies like me
    • dummie
    • By dummie 16th Aug 15, 11:27 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dummie
    MoneySuperMarket
    The application was easy to fill in - the outcome as expected. Insuring my son for driving my car which I am using for commuting and business as well, remains unaffordable.
    But I enjoyed the ease of opting out of further marketing contacts. Let's hope it works as easily as it was to un-tick the boxes.
    • OldDIYer
    • By OldDIYer 27th Jan 16, 2:57 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    OldDIYer
    Car Insurance Quote - nothing happens!
    Updated last year's quote but it kept saying something's wrong review your answrers, but nothing was highlighted and nothing was missing - apart from the quotes.

Waste of time!
    • jm2k
    • By jm2k 22nd May 16, 11:39 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    jm2k
    MSM More Expensive!
    Trying to insure a Nissan Terrano 4x4 2004! Sadly I cannot afford annual cover.

Confused, Go Compare and Compare the Market, all identical results with 1. AXA £398 and 2.Swift £399, but total monthly cost is £478/£479!!!)

Quotezone: same position: 1. AXA £415 and 2. Swift £420.

MSM is exactly same position, but most expensive: 1. AXA £419 and 2. Swift £420. (£499/£500 monthly!).
    • johnstoneg
    • By johnstoneg 28th May 16, 3:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    johnstoneg
    Always more expensive
    I use at least 3x comparison sites every time I renew my insurance, and MoneySupermarket always comes out more expensive than the rest.

Latest quote for Comprehensive/Business cover on a new car is almost £100 more from the same provider (with what appears to be the same criteria/conditions) than through Confused.com, which are the cheapest overall.

I'm now at point I'm not going to use MoneySupermarket as they are always so expensive.

Anyone else experiencing the same disparity bewteen quotes from same provider across different comparison sites? If so, does anyone know the underlying reason (commission paid to comparison sites, general price hikes due to popularity of specific sites?)
    • khris210
    • By khris210 8th Oct 16, 5:26 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    khris210
    MSS? I don't think so!
    I had the same experience as Old DIYer back in January, and not for the first time. It says 'please review your answers', but gives no indication of what they consider wrong. As far as I'm concerned, all my answers were right. I tried both for myself and for my wife. Another half hour of my life wasted.
    • gimmethemoney
    • By gimmethemoney 13th Sep 17, 10:57 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    gimmethemoney
    Moneysupermarket
    Got a list of quotes Moneysupermarket. Churchill was the cheapest so i went to the Churchill website and got a quote from there and saved another £20.
    • Chrisblue1962
    • By Chrisblue1962 30th Oct 17, 8:29 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 1,814 Thanks
    Chrisblue1962
    MoneySupermarket - a waste of space
    Filled in form only for site to refuse to give me quotes - button on website would not accept "click" command - totally pathetic
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - £18,499
    26th October 2017 -
    £14,642.00 - 20.8% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!!
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,131Posts Today

6,496Users online

Martin's Twitter