Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • matilda.cs
    • By matilda.cs 1st Sep 17, 2:41 PM
    • 199Posts
    • 45Thanks
    matilda.cs
    New mobile phone contract with ongoing DRO
    • 1st Sep 17, 2:41 PM
    New mobile phone contract with ongoing DRO 1st Sep 17 at 2:41 PM
    Hi,

I have recently entered a DRO and Iím left with around £30 a month spare cash.

My mobile phone has just broken, though. And I essentially use it as a laptop as itís small enough to put in my pocket, yet powerful enough for all my work needs.

I recall seeing a letter which states that I cannot obtain credit for over £500 without informing the lender.

How does this work with a phone contract? Would I be allowed to get a contract phone? (Assuming a provider was willing)

Thinking of an iPhone 7 which I can get for about £15 a month on top of my current phone budgeting, and within my spare cash.

The alternative is to get a contract in my partners name, but Iíd rather be independent - I just donít want to break the rules of my DRO

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 1st Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 12,468 Posts
    • 11,861 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 1st Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 1st Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    Its exactly what it says on the tin, if you apply and are accepted, which may be doubtful, but if you are, the creditor does a credit check on you, thus they should be aware of your DRO status, hence you are complying with the terms of your DRO.

As long as it can be fitted within your existing budget you will be fine.

But to be honest, you may not be accepted anyway, you may have to look at buying a second hand phone instead.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • cookie1989
    • By cookie1989 30th Sep 17, 4:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cookie1989
    • 30th Sep 17, 4:20 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 4:20 PM
    Sadly, I couldn't get a phone contract so I am the only 28 year old I know with a pay as you go phone!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 30th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 12,468 Posts
    • 11,861 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 30th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    Sadly, I couldn't get a phone contract so I am the only 28 year old I know with a pay as you go phone!
    Originally posted by cookie1989
    There is a company who will accept anyone for a mobile contract.

I believe you have to make the first 3 monthly payments before the phone is dispatched to you, i`m not completely ou fair on how it works, but may be worth checking out.

I don't want to be accused of posting spam links, so i will spell out the name for you, the big orangy thing in the sky that gives us warmth, then, shine, then, mobiles.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 30th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 30,290 Posts
    • 19,163 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 30th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 30th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    Originally posted by cookie1989
    No your one of many who has a payg phone.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 1st Oct 17, 10:13 AM
    • 8,128 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Buzby
    • 1st Oct 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1st Oct 17, 10:13 AM
    Why do you need a contract? Buy a cheap s/h handset you like and a PAYG SIM. You’ll save even more and not have to suffer the possibility of rejection.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,755Posts Today

8,007Users online

Martin's Twitter