Gunk in taps/shower - where is it coming from?

Hope someone can help... :confused:

We bought our first house in January and since then have noticed that there is some kind of black gunk coming out of the bathroom taps and showerhead as well as inside the toilet. It seems to be much more noticable in the cold taps that the hot and there is only a little bit at a time. It leaks out when they are not being used but when the taps are turned on the water runs clear. We thought it may be mould so have made sure we ventilate the bathroom well during and after showers etc. However, I noticed yesterday that there is also some coming from the kitchen tap. We don't have a cold water boiler just a combi boiler for the hot water so we don't have a clue what this stuff is or where it's coming from. It didn't worry me too much in the bathroom because I have just made sure I clean it regularly but since noticing the same thing in the kitchen I am worried what is in my drinking water. :eek:

If there are any plumbers here or anyone that has experienced this before that could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Old enough to know better, too young to care! :p

Comments

• TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Have a word with your water supply company, they may have come across this before and can offer some advice.

We live in Wales and we had black slimey stuff coming out of our shower head. We cleaned it thoroughly but it still kept coming out. OH phoned water company and they explained that we have VERY soft water here and it is quite a common problem. They recommended Milton rather than bleach to clean the shower head. We did end up buying new shower head and hose though, I didn't like the thought of a blob of black gunge landing on my head and me not realising :eek:
  • evilgoose
    evilgoose Posts: 532 Forumite
    Yes some parts of wales have very soft water (hense popular site for cosmetic factories, like Revlon & Lorel) soft water makes good shampoo!!

We had a problem in the past where some of the insulation around the cold tank had fallen in and was giving some gunk! However we now got a combi and we do get some gunk around the shower head - so now know its most likely because of soft-water. thanks!
  • Pinklady_3
    Pinklady_3 Posts: 152 Forumite
    We are in Birmingham - not sure if it's a soft water area or not so I will ring the water company and ask, thanks. :T Glad it's not just us!
  • evilgoose
    evilgoose Posts: 532 Forumite
    I'd be inclinded to say that I think Birmingham has fairly soft water - most of it been supplied from South/Mid Wales (Elan Valley Dams).

I suppose another way to tell is if you have much trouble with linescale on taps etc. if its softwater then you wont.
  • Pinklady_3
    Pinklady_3 Posts: 152 Forumite
    I checked Severn Trent's website and we have soft water - there are also tips on there for cleaning taps etc so will try those. Thanks very much to everyone for your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport