PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Comments

• Well, DS was just reading over my shoulder and spotted Allexie talking about cinnamon and raisin bread, so guess what I've been instructed to make tomorrow, and it has to be ready just in time to cut into when he gets home from school, but still slightly warm in the middle :rolleyes:

So, you better tell me where I can find this yummy recipe of yours :D ... or have I missed it up thread somewhere, or, is it on that wonderful site that was posted back up there? ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    This was in me Morphy Richards recipe book... :D

Raisin Bread

Large loaf - setting 2

Water 1 1/8 cup
    Skimmed milk powder 2 1/2 tbsp
    Butter 2 1/2 tbsp
    Sugar 1/4 cup
    Salt 1 1/4 tsp
    Cinnamon 3/4 tsp (think I'd be inclined to add more!)
    Strong white flour 3 cups
    Dry yeast 1 1/4 tsp
    Raisins 5/8 cup

*I hate 'cups'...why can't we have proper measures!!!*
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• You're an absolute star hun, thankyou! :A :T

He's been nagging me for the last 10 mins to see if I'd mananged to get a recipe for it yet, so he can now go to sleep and dream of cinnamon bread till the cows come home :rotfl:
    ~

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The one in my book has three teaspoons of cinnamon put in at the chuck the ingredients at the pot stage and add three ounces (75g) sultanas at the beep.

It works very well indeed :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • paul_h
    paul_h Posts: 1,072
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    From another thread, people seem to have problems with the Morphy Richards Fastbakes, certainly due in part to the fact that the recipe booklet is rubbish. I posted a basic 2lb white loaf recipe, here it is -

1 1/2 cups Lukewarm water (mix cold and boiled)
    4 cups bread flour
    2 tsp milk powder
    4 tbsp sunflower oil
    2 tsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 sachet dried yeast

Put the wet ingredients in the bottom and the dry on the top, then set it off on basic program. If it rises too much and hits the top, reduce the sugar a bit... my only tip is - use new yeast, and keep it cool...
  • squeaky wrote:
    Slightly over a pound and a half plain loaf.

460g flour
    260g water
    2 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp milk powder (optional)
    2 tbsp oil or butter or lard
    2 tsp salt
    1 sachet (7g) active yeast

:j I tried this recipe out earlier on in the week and have to say it is fantastic, one of the best white breads I have ever made (and I have made loads) I have come to the conclusion that it must be the quantity of water.... all the other recipes I have come across have way too much water (never weighed water before, is that your idea Squeaky, since it makes the recipes so easy to remember?) Have already made this bread three times this week ....next time I make it, I will cut down the salt too.....So thanks Squeaky..... you are a star

:confused: Spurred on by the above wonderful results, today I followed your recipe for Pitta bread..... it has turned out a complete disaster.... totally sticky and impossible to roll out, an absolute nightmare. I followed the recipe posted on here, but maybe I am just not very good at using cups to measure things? Will have to go back to my usual pitta bread recipe

BTW do you use the top recipe when you make your cinnamon and raisin loaf?

Mega
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh dear! I'm sorry about the pita bread but pleased you liked the standard loaf. If a dough comes out on the sticky side I just flour the board quite heavily and just work the dough on it for a while until it settles. It doesn't usually take too much work - it's surprising how little difference in flour or water can make a dough sticky or dry.

And yes, that mix is my standard loaf mix that I add the cinnamon and sultanas to - though I usually halve the salt for this one.

Edit: Forgot to say - since one mil of water = one gram it's as easy to weigh a quantity of water as it is to measure it... so I just weigh it :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Is Onion Powder the same as Onion Salt?????

I wanna make some cheese'n'onion bread and my MR book sez to use 3 tbsp of onion powder to 3 1/4 cups of strong white flour. Have searched the supermarket tonight but can only find summat called 'onion salt'...is this the same thing does anyone know...if not, where can I get onion powder?? :confused:

Just in case the MR recipe is rubbish (has been known :rolleyes: ) does anyone have a favourite recipe for cheese'n'onion bread*???

TIA icon7.gif

*Oh heck, is squeaks gonna come along and tell me orft for not looking in the thingummy-do index??
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Allexie wrote:
    Just in case the MR recipe is rubbish (has been known :rolleyes: ) does anyone have a favourite recipe for cheese'n'onion bread*???

TIA icon7.gif

*Oh heck, is squeaks gonna come along and tell me orft for not looking in the thingummy-do index??

:rotfl:

:naughty::p

I'll have a look in my books and see what it says ;)
    ~

• Ok, just as I thought the recipes on my book say to use fresh onion finely chopped, about 50g for a loaf :confused:

I've made an onion and garlic one before using fresh onion and it turned out fine :)
    ~

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure