PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    QUICK STORECUPBOARD THAI VEGETABLE CURRY

This is quick in that it takes 10-15 minutes to chop everything, storecupboard in the sense that I always have vegetables of some sort, especially carrots, onions and peppers and the curry paste and coccnut keeps for ages in the cupboard.

From cupboard you need:

Half a jar THAI GREEN CURRY PASTE
    1 block CREAMED COCONUT

VEGETABLES as available, for example:

2 medium ONIONS, cut into large slices
    2 PEPPERS, cut into large pieces
    2 CARROTS, cut into sticks
    1 stick CELERY, cut into pieces
    1 POTATO, diced
    handful SLICED GREEN BEANS

METHOD:

1) Heat a tablespoon of oil and quickly fry the onion, adding the rest of the veg as you chop it, add a coupleof cloves of crushed garlic at the end if you have them.

2) Tip veg into slowcooker. Using pan you friedthe veg in, heat up the curry paste and coconut together. Stir into the veg and cook for ... well, I cooked mine for six hours.
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Now I have a slight problem................................has anyone seen or got a vegetarian cook book for a slow cooker please. I've printed off the five recipes on the indexed thread but friend doesn't like two of them. Not good:(.

I said I would buy her a small slow cooker for Christmas as she is on her own and wheelchair bound. She'd love one providing............................I can find some good recipes for her and I've failed so far :eek: but I won't be beaten :p .
    So if anyone can point me in the right direction/recommend a book to me I would be very very grateful! Thank you.

There doesn't seem to be many recipes for vegetarian's around and she would like to cook a big pot and freeze it.
  • Hi Lara

Try This Site for vegetarian recipes for your slow cooker. I also found a recipe index for slow cookers on Google you should find some veggie alternatives there!

HTH!

ps Squeaky I have added the website to the mega index!
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    This week I bought some porK ribs from Tesco, about 10 ribs for £1.46. Yesterday morning, put them straight into the slow cooker (from fridge) and poured boiling water over to cover. Cooked on slow all day, about an hour before we wanted to eat, took them out and put in a meat tin in the oven on low to keep warm, and get rid of that 'boiled look'-the meat was just about staying onto the rib!
    Put the water from the slow cooker into a pan and boiled it, until it reduced by half, with some chinese all-spice, and a splash of soy sauce.

Turned up the oven, poured the juice over the ribs, and cooked for a further 20 to 30 mins, spooning the juice over the ribs every 10 mins or so.

The result was sticky, yummy ribs-better than a take away stated hubby, with the meat so tender it melted in the mouth.

Served with HM savory rice, using up lonely pepper, mushroom, carrot, and onion etc.

Definately on the menu again-nice Saturnday night infront of the TV meal!!
    :j
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    wow toozie! that sounds delicious :T
  • kit
    kit Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Hi

I have had my slow cooker put away for ages - I was planning on selling it until I found this post!

So cooker now out of storage and I'm planning on adapting a recipe I have been wanting to try out.

Its sweet potato, pork and orange. Basically put sweet pots, veg and pork together and cook in orange juice....... add other flavors to taste (ie garlic, ginger etc).

My question is......... is it safe to cook with orange juice in the slow cooker?

Oh, and also while I'm here....... do i cook on low if I want to leave it all day and high if I want it done in a few hours??

2012 wins approx £11,000 including 5k to spend on a holiday :j
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    yes it's safe;)
    why would it not be :rolleyes:
    and yes, low all day and high for a few hours, you are right.
    HTH :)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    by the way that is SUCH a cute baby!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • kit
    kit Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Thank you :A
    Not sure who she takes after 'cause I don't look that cute!

On a similar note - she loved the pork and orange thingy I did in the slow cooker :beer:
    2012 wins approx £11,000 including 5k to spend on a holiday :j
  • kbarty
    kbarty Posts: 634 Forumite
    My MR 6.5l slow cooker arrived today :D (all paid for with Amazon vouchers from Rpoints so double :D ) and I'd like to make some porridge in it. But, how do I do it with such a large pot (I have 2 adults and 2 kids who'll eat the porridge)? I think I saw somewhere something about putting a casserole dish in with water round it. Is that how? And also for porridge, daft question probably, but do I just stick the quantities in as I normally do when cooking it on the hob?

Sorry for all the questions, don't want to do anything wrong.
    Debts - [STRIKE]£9925.64[/STRIKE] £8841.88 :T Aiming to get below £9k by the end of Oct. :D:D:D November aim - sub £7.5k! :cool:
    Just Say No November - Challenger 19 ~ Groceries £0/£160 ~ NSD's 1/25 ~ Money made £6/£80
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure