PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does Meringue Freeze??

With mum being so poorly at the moment and therefore not really being able to make a decision about where we spend Christmas this year, I was thinking of things I could do ahead of time and take with me or use at home.

If I make homemade meringue for the base of a pavlova can I freeze it and if so for how long??

I always make a cake a couple of months in advance anyway, so that's fine, but if you can think of anything else I'd appreciate it.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    According to posters on Saint Delia's website - a bit dodgy but possible... sort of...

Anyway to make your own mind up ---> Click Here
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Hmmm, does sound a bit dodby doesnt it. :(

Back to the drawing board on that one then!!

Thanks anyway.
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • cath-w
    cath-w Posts: 132 Forumite
    Just checked my Mrs Beeton's cookbook. She says that 'Provided the cooked meringues are dried out throughly, they will keep for 2 weeks in an airtight tin'.

By 'dried out' she means cooked. I would make two meringues. The one you want to save and a small taster one. When you think they are ready then you can check the smaller one to see if it is cooked through and dried. That way you will not ruin the large one. Just remember that the large one will take a bit longer to dried out though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure