Is the cash withdraw limit e.g. £300.00 really the limit?

Hello,
Something interesting I was told by a Llyods remember of staff:
You can in effect double the limit. If you withdraw money over the counter e.g. £300.00 then you can also withdraw another £300.00 from the ATM machine, as they work on a different counter system? All within the same day.

Anyone heard about this?

Also can you give notice to withdraw more than the £300.00 limit? Like if you give them a days notice? I'm talking about a current account

Thanks
"Not setting your clock forward and arriving an hour late to work is no excuse" The Boss' words - not mine!

Comments

• pre-reg
    pre-reg Posts: 576 Forumite
    i thought the cash withdrawal limit was just for the cashpoint.

Over the counter you can withdraw as much as you like.
  • MrSafeGaz
    MrSafeGaz Posts: 151 Forumite
    When I closed my Abbey account the other day, I was allowed £500 over the counter and £300 from the cash machine. Whether it differs slightly for other banks I am not sure.
  • looby-loo_2
    looby-loo_2 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    At A&L you can withdraw £250 at the cash machine outside then go inside and get another £250. The cashier can overide the limit. You can't do it the other way round ie inside first then the machine. Also, some very nice cashiers will give more if I ask. I've done this if I need to make a cash payment into Barclay's to stay in credit.

(the limit might be more - I don't do it often)
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,044
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The limit only applies to the cashpoint. I have a £1000 limit but to get that you have to do it in a maximum of £200 at a time IIRC. There is no limit on the counter unless you happen to have a part time branch that may not have a large safe or your transaction really is beyond the norm (typically over £10k).

Building societies and ex building societies are the ones that tend to have counter limits. The traditional banks do not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • thebeak
    thebeak Posts: 69 Forumite
    Ah I see what you mean about the limit being for the cash machine...Can you give a building society say a days notice and withdraw more than the daily cash limit over the counter or are they not moving on their 'limits'?
    "Not setting your clock forward and arriving an hour late to work is no excuse" The Boss' words - not mine!
  • looby-loo_2
    looby-loo_2 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    thebeak wrote: »
    Ah I see what you mean about the limit being for the cash machine...Can you give a building society say a days notice and withdraw more than the daily cash limit over the counter or are they not moving on their 'limits'?

Yes - you can 'order' the money
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    There is no limit on the counter unless you happen to have a part time branch that may not have a large safe or your transaction really is beyond the norm (typically over £10k).

I bank with First Direct and recently took a "largish" sum out over the counter at my local HSBC.
    I rang beforehand and all they wanted was for me to bring my passport or photo driving licence with me.
  • someone
    someone Posts: 823
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    From memory in Abbey you can take up to £500 out as long as you use the cash machine inside Abbey and do 2 transactions.
    I think the idea is to reduce queuing time for the cashers and if anything fishy is going on they can check the cctv of the bank to see if it was or was not you taking the money out.
  • debbie42
    debbie42 Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    It's £600 (without advanced warning) at my local Halifax branch counter service.
    Debbie
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Last time I tried to take cash out over-the-counter at HSBC they refused point-blank to do it at all.

One of the many reasons I'm leaving the scum ASAP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure