MSE News: Royal Mail to start leaving post with neighbours

"Royal Mail is now allowed to leave certain items with a neighbour when consumers are not at home to receive them ..."

Comments

• I think it's a great idea - but that's because I have great neighbours and it'd cause no problem- we do it now anyway. Not sure though how I'd feel if I didn't like neighbours . Suppose we'd just refuse to take delivery?
    :) Moxxy - girl :)
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There is something called Local Collect, where you buy online, and they send to your nominated Post Office, and you pick it up there.

I don't particularly want my neighbours to take in my deliveries,
    some of them just don't answer the door bell, for whatever reason. Once in their door, it's quite hard to get the parcel out again.

I am much happier with Local Collect.
  • Like you say, o.k if you have good neighbours but a potential nightmare if you don't.

I can see trouble ahead. Not everyone will get to hear about this until it all goes wrong and a neighbour takes a parcel and then refuses to hand it over.

Why should we have to get a sticker to opt out of the scheme. It should be the other way round and you should have to opt in.

What's the point of sending something to a specific address if the Postman can then leave the parcel where ever he likes?
  • danothy
    danothy Posts: 2,200
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What's the point of sending something to a specific address if the Postman can then leave the parcel where ever he likes?

How did you get from 'with a neighbour' to 'where ever he likes'?
    If you think of it as 'us' verses 'them', then it's probably your side that are the villains.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,230
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Our posties have been doing this for at least the last ten years and I was amazed to learn that it wasn't already the 'norm' !

Of course there might be problems if you don't get on with a particular neighbour but all of our delivery staff have at some point discussed this.

But I'd certainly support the idea that 'opt-in' rather than 'opt-out' should be the norm (indeed I said just that on the OFCOM consultation page). All RoyalMail need to do is to deliver a sticker to every house with a space for you to write in your preferred substitute address (or of course "take back to depot").
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Pincher wrote: »
    There is something called Local Collect, where you buy online, and they send to your nominated Post Office, and you pick it up there.

I don't particularly want my neighbours to take in my deliveries,
    some of them just don't answer the door bell, for whatever reason. Once in their door, it's quite hard to get the parcel out again.

I am much happier with Local Collect.

Local Collect 2 is only available if the retailer offers & pays for it
  • our postie used to leave large parcels,recorded etc in an agreed safe place until a couple of months ago = he's not allowed to now as one of the other posties 'safe place' seemed to be his own house so the whole fleet were banned from leaving things - I wonder how this will work now in our branch - it would be so much easier for them to leave it as our sorting office is only open until 1.
  • I got my sticker a couple of weeks ago.

I'm still annoyed that this has been rubber-stamped by the regulator as an opt-out rather than an opt-in scheme.

I really doubt that Royal Mail will bother wasting much time and effort on a "less visible" solution - I think that is just lip-service aimed at giving the illusion that the negative comments that were no doubt submitted in the "consultation" were acknowledged (if they had been truly acknowledged this would have been opt-in and everyone except Royal Mail would have been happy).
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It would be useful if the article wasn't so superficial and said what Ofcom's position was on cases when the neighbor that allegedly signed for the item later denies everything. Whose problem would it be: RM's or the recipient's?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 27 September 2012 at 4:03PM
    moxxy-girl wrote: »
    I think it's a great idea - but that's because I have great neighbours and it'd cause no problem- we do it now anyway. Not sure though how I'd feel if I didn't like neighbours . Suppose we'd just refuse to take delivery?

Same here and we've been doing it for years, I only generally take in post for 1 or 2 neighbours and 1 neighbour mostly takes in anything for me and hes ok doing it and so am I.

I agree it should be an opt in option rather than opt out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure