PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Save Money Good Food ITV

Did anyone see this tonight?

It was an almost carbon copy of BBC's Eat Well For Less. Get a family who have no idea what they're spending on the weekly shop and show them how to be smarter with their buying choices, stop throwing away food, and how to cook meals for under a fiver.

They did an Indian "feast", dhal, chapattis, pork curry, spiced roasted cauliflower and rice, which they reckoned cost £5.

I'd like to see the costings, because I don't believe that came in at £5.

Comments

• Gigervamp wrote: »

It was an almost carbon copy of BBC's Eat Well For Less. Get a family who have no idea what they're spending on the weekly shop and show them how to be smarter with their buying choices, stop throwing away food, and how to cook meals for under a fiver.

They did an Indian "feast", dhal, chapattis, pork curry, spiced roasted cauliflower and rice, which they reckoned cost £5.

Certainly not with that slab of pork used and the cauliflower. When that was filmed cauliflowers alone were over £1 each
  • Certainly not with that slab of pork used and the cauliflower. When that was filmed cauliflowers alone were over £1 each
    Depends where you buy.
    The caulis at the Asian shop are half the price of supermarkets. Plus, the might have bought on the reduced shelf or from a market.

Supermarkets in general are over-priced rip offs.

Not sure about the pork as I didn't see it so don't know what cut it is. But pork is very cheap.
    Dahl cheap, chapattis, cheap, rice cheap.

I think it is easily doable for a fiver
  • Pork was shown as £3.06 a kg, they had at least that Cauli was fresh out of the supermarket,mans it's only now they have dropped in price since Christmas so we can say 99p.

What they showed was what they spent at the supermarket for that meal, pork, Cauli, bulb of garlic, large bar of chocolate , bag of flour, an onion

What they didn't count in were the herbs and spices , tinned tomatoes, the bananas , the pomegranate

It was pretty misleading tbh. Sure when you have store cupboard ingredients things do start to cost pennies per a meal , the the initial outlay can be very expensive. One meal they made to be very cheap had saffron and arborio rice

Now us oldstylers who cook from scratch more then likely have these ingredient so can knock up a meal for pennies. Yet this family supposedly spent nearly £200 a week on convenience foods before they were shown the error of their ways
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Gigervamp wrote: »

I saw Susanna Reid touting it on Good Morning and thought it sounded the same - so I gave it a miss.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It wasn't just the store cupboard things which didn't get factored into the cost of the meal, they also used main ingredients from their fridge and freezer which needed using up (i.e. the broccoli and some frozen chicken) so it was very misleading.
  • Totally agree it was like the BBC show.

TBH it didnt look like the family needed to save money, lovely house, smart Audi 4 x 4.

I did like some of the recipes though and may well make the fritata and jewelled couscous with chicken but I am another one very sceptcial about that Indian meal for less than a fiver, the meat alone would have been more IMO but I am very fussy and will only buy ethically sourced meat so rather than cheap meat I would have made a veggie option.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Looking at the Twitter feed for the show, it seems that the recipes are only available in the book.

A lot of people were comparing it to the BBC show, and were also complaining that the family featured obviously didn't need to save money. There were similar comments to the ones that were on the Eat well for less thread on here.
  • BB15
    BB15 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    And saffron was used for goodness sake. Hardly a cheap ingredient!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I didn't know it was on until I'd missed it.

When I look around supermarkets these days I've realised it's almost impossible to buy "food". They don't sell "food" any more - they sell brightly packaged products.

Years ago you'd go into a supermarket and there'd be, say, an aisle that had ready made food .... a treat, the unusual. Now it's a struggle to track down ingredients/food ... indeed, a lot of "common ingredients" are simply no longer stocked as they pump out more "products" at people.

This means that the generations coming through will have less idea of the difference between food and products.

Food: a spud with dirt on it ...maybe spuds in a plastic bag.
    Products: cellophane wrapped half baked jacket potato with cheese.

Then the gentrification of the product. It's no longer a jacket potato with cheese that's the product on offer - now they're offering organic hand raised award winning potato topped with organic hand strained cheeses blended with an award winning cream....

Spud's gone from 30p for a spud and a lump of cheese to £4.50 for two halves of a spud with cheese and the printed words "organic" all over a box.
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Totally agree it was like the BBC show. They totally ripped it off.

i will look forward to the recipe book.

I tried to cook the egg/omlette/fritata thing that they cooked tonight and my family would not eat it. That is why we have waste but the dog does nicely out of it!

The family would not have most of their food waste problems if they shopped at Aldi.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure