SiL, House and seperation issues

Hi there

My SiL is looking like separating with her husband. They have been married for about 5 years. Prior to marriage he owned a shared ownership 1 bed flat. She was never put on the deeds but contributed to the mortgage and running costs. Now he want to kick her and the 2 daughters out.

Does she have any right to remain in the flat?

Cheers.
{Signature removed by Forum Team}

Comments

• Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    She needs to see a solicitor. I'm fairly sure he can't 'kick her out' just like that. Are the children his?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Yes and no. Yes he could change the locks and she would need to go to court to get an order allowing her to re-enter.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Are the children his or from a previous relationship?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    gt568 wrote: »
    Hi there

My SiL is looking like separating with her husband. They have been married for about 5 years. Prior to marriage he owned a shared ownership 1 bed flat. She was never put on the deeds but contributed to the mortgage and running costs. Now he want to kick her and the 2 daughters out.

Does she have any right to remain in the flat?

Cheers.

Yes. As they are married, she has matrimonial home rights which gives her as much right as him to remain in the property until a financial order is made in the divorce proceedings.

She should register a Matrimonial Home Rights notice at the Land registry.

She also needs to speak to a solicitor.

Neither of them has the right to kick the other out - a court order would be needed. However, with 2 small children it doesn't sound as though a 1 bed flat would be very practical so it may be sensible for her to start looking for alternative accommodation.

The equity in the flat will be part of the matrimonial assets so she may be entitled to a share of that, whether or not she remains in the property, but registering the MHR notice helps to protect her against the risk of him trying to sell or remortgage it before things are finalised.

How the financial assets are ultimately split will depend on a range of factors including both parties financial needs and resources, and the needs of any children. She needs to talk to a solicitor to get a clearer picture of her options.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,495 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The kids are his.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts