Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    custardy wrote: »
    Why would you feel the car I'm driving would matter? Why would it differ from when I drive the Picasso?

It doesn't, he just wants more "ammo" for his cyclist bashing
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kmb500 wrote: »
    Hate cyclists in the city. They are OK (for the most part) in the countryside where I live, aside from some visibility issues. But when I go into town its insane. They race in and out of traffic, complete danger to everyone on the road. They don't indicate, they don't go in the cycle lane, they go the wrong way down one-way streets...
    Cyclists should have to pay road tax imo. And dangerous cycling should be enforced by the police just as much as dangerous driving should be.

As for what to do about them... I drive a convertible, if my roof is down I will shout at them while I drive past and tell them to stop being dangerous.

Hello KMB, you mention visability issues, is this because of bad weather, the cyclist not wearing bright/reflective wear, speed or something else?? Are all the cyclists in town cycle in that manner, or do you see some good cyclists as well? The old chest nut of going down the wrong way on a one way street - I can relate to that one!!

In regards to enforcement, more police at pinch points??? Not sure if I agree about shouting at cyclists, however I do completely understand your frustration also, as there does not appear to be any accountability for cyclists, especially as they are growing in numbers.

When you challenge cyclists on the street, what reaction do you receive?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    custardy wrote: »
    Ah,a good meaty answer.
    So your list of issues with (all?) cyclists.
    What does this fabled road tax do to change that?

I see you use a black box insurer. So how long have you been driving?
    Oh the other thing is, they don't bother using lights so you can't see them, plus they fly through red lights.

If they had to pay tax they would be more responsible. Maybe even insurance would be a smarter idea - and if we made them actually liable for accidents rather than it always being the car's fault. Cyclists can and do cause accidents.

I have been driving for 3 years. I know not the longest time but I drive perfectly safely and I know the highway code. Cyclists do not seem to be aware of the rules of the road. They are clueless, especially the ones who exclusively cycle and do not drive.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Oh the other thing is, they don't bother using lights so you can't see them, plus they fly through red lights.

If they had to pay tax they would be more responsible. Maybe even insurance would be a smarter idea - and if we made them actually liable for accidents rather than it always being the car's fault. Cyclists can and do cause accidents.

I have been driving for 3 years. I know not the longest time but I drive perfectly safely and I know the highway code. Cyclists do not seem to be aware of the rules of the road. They are clueless, especially the ones who exclusively cycle and do not drive.

how does this road tax equate to responsibility?
    So a new driver. Me with 25 years driving experience. More years cycling.
    Yet apparently I'm clueless....
  • kmb500
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Why should cyclists pay a tax that doesn't exist?

You'll find the majority of cyclists also have cars and thus pay VED (which is NOT a fund to use the road or build / repair roads). Many cars pay £0 VED and yet cause more wear and tear to the roads than bikes!

All the bad points you raise about bad cyclists are valid but doesn't mean all of them do. Just like not all BMW drivers don't know where the indicator is nor do all white van men drive while on the phone and tailgate etc
    What do you mean "tax that doesn't exist"? I pay £300 road tax a year I am fairly sure that exists. I know that there are cars exempt from it, which I think is wrong. Imo all road users should contribute to it. I think it's ridiculous that "green" cars pay little or no tax, but that's a whole other issue that I won't go into.

Obviously not all cyclists are like that... I'm not suggesting they are. But it's a huge proportion of them as far as I can see. Far more dangerous cyclists than dangerous drivers. I seldom see drivers driving through red lights or going the wrong way down one way streets, or having their headlights switched off.

I just think cyclists should take more responsibility for their actions, and be more aware of their behaviour on the road. I don't see many ways of doing that other than policing or taxing.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,596 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Probably something like this
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/driver-jeremy-vine-cycling-rant-video-arrested-police-282468

But a motorist being arrested for attacking a cyclist doesn't quite fit your agenda does it now?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Hello again KMB, wow, your very brave to exercise that view point on this thread, especially as most contributors on here are cyclists and will react to your views.

your right, there are cyclist who dont fit lights to their bikes, i never really understand why, but they dont, however, I do see a lot of responsbile cyclist on the road, who have the full cycle gear, clothing, crash helmet, flashing lights etc... which is good.

Again, i completely understand as a motorist, sitting at a red traffic light, to find a cyclist fly pass on the left or right, and fly through red lights. But then I have seen responsible cyclists also.

Yes, maybe a contribution from cyclists might work, however I think that would never happon, as the government / local authorities are constantly promoting cycling due to the constant influx of car ownership, policies on saving thew planet, pollution, human health etc....

Insurance for a cycle, i dont know how that would work, but not something i have ever thought about so interesting view point.

You mention cyclist dont appear to be aware of the rules of the road, i think there are examples i see on the road which do exercise these rules, its just the idiots who seemly see the rods as a play area.

I cant agree that all cyclists who only cycle are clueless, I think that is going too far!!

thank you for your contribution though, and please, dont react to the expected abuse you will receive from cyclist on this thread, happy driving
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,596 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Obviously not all cyclists are like that... I'm not suggesting they are. But it's a huge proportion of them as far as I can see. Far more dangerous cyclists than dangerous drivers. I seldom see drivers driving through red lights or going the wrong way down one way streets, or having their headlights switched off.

Totally disagree. The number of examples of bad driving massively outweigh the examples of bad cycling that I see. Routinely on my journey to work I will see a fair number of drivers on their phone, not indicating, cutting dangerously into traffic, jumping lights. The difference is that I don't brand all drivers as being unsafe.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • kmb500
    Hello KMB, you mention visability issues, is this because of bad weather, the cyclist not wearing bright/reflective wear, speed or something else?? Are all the cyclists in town cycle in that manner, or do you see some good cyclists as well? The old chest nut of going down the wrong way on a one way street - I can relate to that one!!

In regards to enforcement, more police at pinch points??? Not sure if I agree about shouting at cyclists, however I do completely understand your frustration also, as there does not appear to be any accountability for cyclists, especially as they are growing in numbers.

Visibility - sometimes down to no reflections, sometimes they don't have lights or not very powerful lights. Cyclists should be equipped with very powerful lights just as cars are. I think it's awful how many bikes there are that I do not see until I am 10m behind them.

Yeah some cyclists are OK, probably most of them, but there are so many more dangerous cyclists than drivers that I see.

When I say shouting - I don't mean rude. I have to shout over the engine noise. Maybe it is rude, but someone needs to tell them. They don't go on safety courses like any driver must, they don't really have any accountability at all. The reactions I get are usually angry - they flip me off, tell me to F myself, and actually last week after I told a guy he shouldn't go the wrong way down the street he turned around and chased me through town!

Its probably not the most productive measure but it's simply a matter of letting someone know when they're doing something wrong. Just as I would flash/beep a dangerous driver, and I would hope that if I did something very dangerous, someone would let me know!
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 18 October 2016 at 10:01AM

If they had to pay tax they would be more responsible. Maybe even insurance would be a smarter idea - and if we made them actually liable for accidents rather than it always being the car's fault.

Motorists pay motoring taxes. This doesn't stop them killing thousands of people every year. Insurance covers liabilities, it doesn't apportion blame. In your opinion you drive perfectly safely.
    They are clueless?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport