IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

LBCCC options (ParkingEye, Leeds Aire Street)

Hi all,

I have received a LBCCC notice, dated 4th October - so I guess I have a couple of days to work out how to proceed, in order to get a response sent back in time.

Basically, last November I entered a car park and stayed for 17 minutes. It was tea time and dark, and I got out to go and pay but for whatever reason I couldn't (incorrect change, whatever). I got back into the car, attempted to find a way to pay, couldn't, so left.

I got the £100 fine from ParkingEye, and sent them an appeal. It was rejected and I was given a POPLA code.

I attempted to appeal to POPLA and was rejected again. I can't remember the basis of my appeals as these were both about 8-9 months ago, but I used the advice from forums like this.

Which brings me to now and my LBCCC. I've had a bit of a browse and as far as I can tell I have three options:

1. Attempt to have the charge quashed by the landowner. The car park is not adjacent to a supermarket or anything and as such I have absolutely no idea how to find out who the landowner is. I can find the car park on Google Maps but I do not know the exact address or postcode. 'Aire Street, Leeds' is all I have.

2. Offer to settle with ParkingEye without prejudice. Paying £100 because I sat in a car park for 17 minutes is absolutely ridiculous. Ideally, I don't want to be locked into months and months of back and forth contact with ParkingEye - and as such I am prepared to offer them an amount to settle this. Given the length of the stay, what would be a suitable amount to offer and how would I go about this in order to have the best chance of success?

3. The big, long, correspondence battle. This is the one I didn't want to do as it looks long-winded and likely to last a long time. However, if there's no chance of either of the above, then I will do it. For this option, I'd like to know, as clearly as possible, what the first step is in replying to my LBCCC. Obviously I have a few days to do this step and would prefer to get it done and think about the next step after that.

Thanks for reading guys and hoping someone can help.

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,447 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I think (3) but be aware this won't just be correspondence, it will be a court claim to defend.

If you go for settlement the best you are likely to get is £40 - £60 if they will...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • I'd be happy to offer 40/50/60 I think.
  • Coupon-mad
    Start at £45 maybe...email them like here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5539549

Head the subject line 'Without prejudice, save as to costs - offer and response re PCN ref xxxxxx/xxxxxx'
  • If I do this, do I still have to reply to the LBCCC acknowledging my receipt of it?

Also, if they turn down my offer can I still proceed as usual with option 3?
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 11 October 2016 at 9:14PM
    Yes and yes. Your offer (if rushing to make one now, which you do not have to) needs to combine a response to the LBCCC, like in the other thread exactly the same right now that I've replied on both.

But you do not have to come out with an offer yet, you could email a response to the LBCCC asking questions/ask for a copy of the contract sign and PCN, and asking them to put the case on hold (like I told the other poster). Then decide when you get their response.

In fact you have grounds for defence (dark signs, no contract agreed, 17 minutes is a reasonable grace period in the dark, etc). Seems to me in your case, you have good reason to consider defending a claim and fighting it - a Red Letter Day experience!

Oh, and do not reply to any private message from a poster with less than 1000 posts to their name here. We deal with these issues openly on the forum and any pm could be from anyone at all (even the parking firm) and any private message about this is not recommended to be replied to/read.
  • Elysander
    Elysander Posts: 99 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2016 at 9:31AM
    In answer to OP's point 1, I have included a link below from Leeds City Council's website which gives details of a recent application Parking Eye made regarding retrospective planning permission (August 2016) for signage etc at Aire Street. From reading the application document dated 8th August 2016, it would appear that the landowner is Bellavale Ltd 32 Gallowgate Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Parking Eye always include a poor scan of the 'contract' at POPLA stage which is with a company called Elite Parking who presumably lease the site from Bellavale. PE have repeatedly lost cases at POPLA as assessors aren't able to read the 'contract'

https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?previousCaseType=Property&previousKeyVal=LCEDNYJB05B00&activeTab=summary&previousCaseUprn=000072695902&previousCaseNumber=LCEDNKJB05B00&keyVal=OBDW36JBIVW00
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I wasn't aware that retrospective application for advertising consent was allowable. Not having advertising consent, as I understand it, is a criminal offence. Period!

If you're up to it, challenge the LA on this. Then if you're stonewalled, involve the LA Ombudsman.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Start at £45 maybe...email them

On the ParkingEye website, the only way of contacting them is to fill in a form headed 'make an appeal'.

Is there an alternative email address I can use or shall I do so through this form?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    On the ParkingEye website, the only way of contacting them is to fill in a form headed 'make an appeal'.

Is there an alternative email address I can use or shall I do so through this form?
    I gave you that exact email addy by showing you the other thread like yours...I thought the instruction 'email them like here' didn't require me to type the email addy out! When links are supplied they are there to assist.
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Start at £45 maybe...email them like here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5539549

Head the subject line 'Without prejudice, save as to costs - offer and response re PCN ref xxxxxx/xxxxxx'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure