Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• Thanks SG. I'll definitely look for them. Have a geat day :)
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • DH and I have decided that next Monday is the day that he will ring the final creditor to try and negotiate a deal. I already feel impatient for Monday to arrive :). That will be six working days since it was posted. I suspect if we waited for them to get back to us it would take about six weeks:(.

It's frustrating because you don't get to talk to the decision maker :mad:. The person DH has been speaking to can only pass on information to her manager. So we'll make an offer and she'll ring us the next day with an answer. It creates a lot of delay and frustration for us, particularly if you're not there when they ring back :mad:.

Today is my big weekly shop, but first a walk and some work to be done. Have a good Wednesday everyone.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I tried value tea bags ages ago and decided that they were a no for us. Other value items that got tried and rejected were coffee (MrEH sticks resolutely to his Nescafe but we only ever buy on offer) and Washing Up Liquid - the liquidised fairies all the way for me, thanks! (And again only ever got on offer!) Also not a fan of value loo paper and not convinced it works out any cheaper anyway as you have to use SOOOOO much! :rotfl:

I'd say "hurry up monday" but there is a weekend in the way there before I can do that - I'm allergic to wishing weekends away! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,088 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    That's so frustrating about not been able to speak to the decision maker :mad:

Hope you manage to stay in budget with the food shop!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,239 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    When my DS was at college he seemed to miss the bus an auful lot :rotfl:

Hope negotiations go well.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • I tried value tea bags ages ago and decided that they were a no for us. Other value items that got tried and rejected were coffee (MrEH sticks resolutely to his Nescafe but we only ever buy on offer) and Washing Up Liquid - the liquidised fairies all the way for me, thanks! (And again only ever got on offer!) Also not a fan of value loo paper and not convinced it works out any cheaper anyway as you have to use SOOOOO much! :rotfl:

I'd say "hurry up monday" but there is a weekend in the way there before I can do that - I'm allergic to wishing weekends away! :D

Well I have to agree with you that value coffee is pants :rotfl: Like you DH will only drink Necafe and I also buy it when it's on offer.

However value washing up liquid and loo roll works for me. We get through nearly 6 rolls a day of the value toilet roll :eek: I'm not kidding!

I tried spending the same amount of money and getting better quality loo roll and we ran out halfway through the week :eek:. I wouldn't believe it if it wasn't happening in my house :rotfl:
  • jwil wrote: »
    That's so frustrating about not been able to speak to the decision maker :mad:

Hope you manage to stay in budget with the food shop!

I spent £76 on food so only £2 above target, although I put a couple of things back at the till :D
  • beanielou wrote: »
    When my DS was at college he seemed to miss the bus an auful lot :rotfl:

Hope negotiations go well.

Dreadful aren't they! They find it so difficult to drag themselves out of bed at their age. I wish I could lie in but I always wake up early early even when I don't have to :mad:
  • I'm pleased with my grocery shop as it came to £76, only £2 over budget :T

I did have some additional spends though as it's DS3's birthday on Friday. He will be 20 so no longer a teenager :eek: We've already clubbed together with my parents and got him a new mobile, as his old one had broken. So I got him some Tesco jeans (he's very short of clothes), a bottle of fancy beer and a birthday cake, which came to around £24 :mad:. Still, it's only once a year luckily (for him anyway!)

The vat return has been submitted and paid (early) and I did a survey on PA and earnt £4. Although it was very hard and made my head hurt :rotfl: I think I'm getting stupider as I age :o

Have a good evening everyone.
  • DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Well done with your food budget! It sounds like you have had a productive day today. I joined PA today, heard lots of good things so I'm hoping I get some surveys through soon.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure