BT to True Telecom by PERSON NOT AUTHORISED to do so!

yan1
yan1 Posts: 55 Forumite
Hi,
Up until a few days ago I had line rental, broadband and call package with bt.
It turns out this is no longer the case as my wife had a cold call from True Telecoms offering great services and prices. She gave the go ahead for the transfer of line rental and calls. I have only just found out the full extent of the great, or rather not so great offers. I am also still in a contract with bt for broadband and now have a sky high price compared to its original price due to the package being separated.

It's now past the cooling off period with true so not so simple to get out of their contract.
But, my question is as follows; the bt account is solely in my name as is my business. True call my wife and she is able to self authorise herself to transfer providers. To top it all off the new account is put into my business name!! Surely this is not allowed?

As it stands, the contract with true has my business name and my wife as the account holder.

Any advice on how to proceed, or if I even can, with getting away from this contract??
Thank you

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you ended up being better off , would you still wish to follow the proceedure? Somewhere along the way, you would have had to give them authority to swap you over, moral, don't buy from cold callers.
  • yan1
    DUTR wrote: »
    If you ended up being better off , would you still wish to follow the proceedure? Somewhere along the way, you would have had to give them authority to swap you over, moral, don't buy from cold callers.

That's a good point, I'm not going to answer though;)
    Nowhere along the way though did I give authority for the swap, let alone to put my business name onto the account! It's a sole trader business in my name only.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Write to them and tell them that this order was given by an employee without the authority to do so and ask them to cancel and take it from their reply.

Though how did it get past the cooling off period before you woke up?
  • yan1
    Quentin wrote: »
    Write to them and tell them that this order was given by an employee without the authority to do so and ask them to cancel and take it from their reply.

Though how did it get past the cooling off period before you woke up?

It certainly would appear as though I have severe narcolepsy!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I would have thought that the main conversation you should be having about this is one with your wife?
    You are a sole trader, so does she normally make decisions about your suppliers for you-without even mentioning it afterwards?
    Did you not receive a 'sorry you are leaving' message from BT?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • yan1
    Thanks macman! You have recognised the absolute issue here in that it could have been the bloody cleaner (if we had one) that took the phone call and swapped providers on my unknowing behalf. The letter from bt arrived over the Christmas period whilst we were away so was not able to act quick enough on our return.
    Unfortunately my wife's belief in the good of people far outweighs her ability to say NO!!
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    yan1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately my wife's belief in the good of people far outweighs her ability to say NO!!
    I am very surprised that others less kind than me have not (yet) posted some very amusing and/or unkind replies to that!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • yan1
    Heinz wrote: »
    I am very surprised that others less kind than me have not (yet) posted some very amusing and/or unkind replies to that!

Ready and waiting.
    Meantime back on the subject of the post, I'm writing my letter to True Telecom to inform them that they are the proud owners of a Phantom contract that my business has no knowledge of and was activated by an unauthorised person, so therefore is null and void. Will transfer back to BT pronto.
  • Protopia
    Protopia Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 October 2014 at 7:54PM
    yan1 wrote: »
    Ready and waiting.
    Meantime back on the subject of the post, I'm writing my letter to True Telecom to inform them that they are the proud owners of a Phantom contract that my business has no knowledge of and was activated by an unauthorised person, so therefore is null and void. Will transfer back to BT pronto.

How did you get on with True Telecom?
  • Just had a cold call from True Telecom with details of a seemingly money saving alternative to my current phone/Broadband shambles of a service with BT. Having told the guy it all sounds good and he should send me the details in e-mail/hard copy for me to review things took a different direction---he insisted that I had to provide full bank account details in order for them then to be able to send out the paperwork
    DUH!!!!! I don't think so!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport