My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Poppy1984 wrote: »
    Hiya one broke lady, I've just read your diary from the start and subscribed. You're doing so well! I completely feel your pain on the not sleeping for worrying. I love that you panic bought crumble and puddings on the way home you sound like my kind of person :) x

Hi and thanks for reading and subscribing to my diary,I read it back from the beginning a few days ago and I can see my progress,I’m not worrying half as much as I was ,I am a worrier though so I’m not presuming it will be plain sailing from now on,I am however enjoying this worry free period, I’m ok while I’m busy but it’s always in the night time that worries seem to overtake,I suppose it’s because you actually have time to think while lying in bed trying to sleep
    My visit to the supermarket was quite funny,there were all these bewildered people wandering round looking hopefully at the empty shelves,those two puddings and crumbles were the last two on the shelf and I nabbed them straightaway :rotfl:
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hope you have a lovely lunch with your daughter.
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Hope you have a lovely lunch with your daughter.
    We had a lovely time thankyou :)
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 4 March 2018 at 7:04PM
    Options
    Just got back from DD birthday meal and we are all stuffed,I fell asleep just now while reading someones diary, the day was very frugal too,we used some Tesco vouchers so the bill only came to £24 in the end DD whole birthday has come in completely on budget which is a first for me,I have forgotten that its mothers day next Sunday though so need to sort out a card and present for my mum,she likes to read and Im not seeing her before mothers day so will be buying her a book voucher and posting it,Ive got to go into town on Tuesday so will do that then,its not budgeted for but I have spare money in the bank that is going to the emergency fund so I will just have to use £20 of that,it still leaves me £134 to put into emergency fund / Xmas savings pot
    I still havent opened a savings account yet but if I can do it online I might get that done later tonight,then I can pay the money in on Tuesday,I cantmake up my mind whether to put all my savings in one account and just divide it up so its part emergency fund and part Xmas savings or whether to open two accounts so its all separate,I think this would be safer in the long run as I would be able to see exactly how much I have and I wont end up accidentally dipping into the emergency fund when Xmas comes around
    Tonight for the rest of DD birthday we are having a movie night at home,so we have popcorn and Maltesers to munch on and we are saving money by not going to the cinema,plus the weather here is awful at the moment so I really dont want to go back outside again,its absolutely chucking it down and most of the snow has gone,its weird as there was still loads yesterday,I had to help some people out on the road last night who were trying to get out of the road opposite me in their car,it was sliding about all over the place,I took my trusty garden how down and scraped away enough snow and ice for them to get out in the end
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When we were really struggling I put my savings where we couldn't easily dip in, so a passbook only account with a branch in the local small town. I could transfer in online, but not out and i couldn't see it online. I never got the passbook updated so it showed £1 balance. This really worked for me as I did a weekly round down of the current account balance to it. It also meant it wasn't with the same bank as any of the debts so it couldn't be seized by them.

When we first really hit the problems there was a months mortgage sat in that account. The only difficult bit was explaining to OH why I had hidden money in the first place :o
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    When we were really struggling I put my savings where we couldn't easily dip in, so a passbook only account with a branch in the local small town. I could transfer in online, but not out and i couldn't see it online. I never got the passbook updated so it showed £1 balance. This really worked for me as I did a weekly round down of the current account balance to it. It also meant it wasn't with the same bank as any of the debts so it couldn't be seized by them.

When we first really hit the problems there was a months mortgage sat in that account. The only difficult bit was explaining to OH why I had hidden money in the first place :o

I’m sure it will be safe so long as it’s in the bank, I’ve just moved my current account to a bank that is separate from my old bank as I owe them money, I’m finding that seeing the savings grow is encouraging me to want to save more,when Xmas finally gets here I’m not going to want to spend any of the Xmas fund :rotfl:
  • Poppy1984
    Poppy1984 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi and thanks for reading and subscribing to my diary,I read it back from the beginning a few days ago and I can see my progress,I’m not worrying half as much as I was ,I am a worrier though so I’m not presuming it will be plain sailing from now on,I am however enjoying this worry free period, I’m ok while I’m busy but it’s always in the night time that worries seem to overtake,I suppose it’s because you actually have time to think while lying in bed trying to sleep
    My visit to the supermarket was quite funny,there were all these bewildered people wandering round looking hopefully at the empty shelves,those two puddings and crumbles were the last two on the shelf and I nabbed them straightaway :rotfl:

I'm also a worrier and I totally agree night time is the worst!! I've not slept properly for weeks now it's beginning to take its toll!

Haha I can imagine! Hopefully we will have see the last of the snow now and panic buying puddings :rotfl:
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,113 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow, Onebrokelady, I've just read your diary through & you are really making progress..Half of it is the attitude shift, isn't it? Well, it was for me.....suddenly understanding the link between my own poor money habits & never having any spare money......because what wasn't being frittered was being spent on debt repayments.
    Impressed at your ability to sort out a boiler condenser pipe. I shall know what to do if we have the same problem.now!
    I think savings can be made learning simple repairs/maintenance. I can remember back before the LBM, my downstairs loo blocked badly. I didn't fancy getting down & dirty with it myself so called the plumber. It wss a £45 callout charge plus hourly rate. This is what he did:
    1. Came in, had quick look at loo.
    2.Went out to van.
    3. Came back in with huge plunger.
    4. Did 2 plunges of loo, which cleared.
    5. Charged me handsomely.
    Next day, I went to the funny little indie hardware shop on our high street & asked if they sold very large plungers for unblocking loos. They did. I bought one for future occasions. It cost £3.
    Defo a lesson learned there! I'm not sure how to subscribe to a diary, but will pop in & see how you are getting on.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    I can remember back before the LBM, my downstairs loo blocked badly. I didn't fancy getting down & dirty with it myself so called the plumber. It wss a £45 callout charge plus hourly rate. This is what he did:
    1. Came in, had quick look at loo.
    2.Went out to van.
    3. Came back in with huge plunger.
    4. Did 2 plunges of loo, which cleared.
    5. Charged me handsomely.
    Next day, I went to the funny little indie hardware shop on our high street & asked if they sold very large plungers for unblocking loos. They did. I bought one for future occasions. It cost £3.
    Defo a lesson learned there!

Lol, to paraphrase my FiL, 'That's a pound for tightening a screw, and £99 for knowing which screw to tighten!'
    foxgloves wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to subscribe to a diary, but will pop in & see how you are getting on.

Go to the top of the page: there's a 'subscribe' button that takes you to a page with another button to click on, and then redirects you back to the page you just came from. Once subscribed, if you go to your profile page there are a series of tabs for unread posts, most recently viewed, etc. so you can try to keep up with them all. HTH :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 6 March 2018 at 10:47PM
    Options
    Poppy1984 wrote: »
    I'm also a worrier and I totally agree night time is the worst!! I've not slept properly for weeks now it's beginning to take its toll!

Haha I can imagine! Hopefully we will have see the last of the snow now and panic buying puddings :rotfl:
    To be honest it doesnt take much to make me panic buy puddings:rotfl:
    I am sorry you are worrying so much its affecting your sleep,I bought some Boots own brand sleeping remedy in the end and that did help for the short term,Im not worrying as much as I was now Ive started my DMP,its really taken the pressure off,I hope you manage to get some sleep soon because it really makes you feel rubbish forgot to say Rescue Remedy spray is also very good if you are feeling panicky,I also use it at bedtime,4 sprays under the tongue,it tastes a bit alcoholic but its not too awful
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback