PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

When to give notice to landlord

Hi. Am currently renting, in process of buying. Solicitor is waiti for a response from vendors solicitors and council on a couple of points. Everything else is done.

Solicitor says completion is feasible for end of september.

i need to give 4 weeks notice.

My concern is if i give notoce now and theres a delay can my landlord force me out???

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you give notice and don't leave the landlord can charge you double rent. And apply for possession.

1) are you sure it's 4 weeks notice? Is your tenancy Contractual Periodic? And/or do you pay rent weekly?

2) you should not serve notice until you've Exchanged Contracts on your purchase.
  • Only with a section 21 (etc) and a court order. But you would technically be due to pay double rent for any period of overstay.
  • G_M: Would a section 21 (or 8 etc) be required, or is the tenant's notice sufficient to apply for a possession order?
  • Where does the double rent for overstay rule come from? Is it in most ASTs?
  • G_M
    juniordoc wrote: »
    Where does the double rent for overstay rule come from? Is it in most ASTs?
    Yes all ASTs.

It's an old statute but still in force:

Distress For Rent Act 1747 S18
  • hi,

Following this thread with interest because I have to give two months notice on my rented house, we are only just at the beginning of the house buying journey (found house/got aip/offer accepted/waiting for full mortgage offer) and I am thinking it likely I will have to pay both rent and the new mortgage for a couple of months!

I guess the advantage is that we won't need to move all our stuff from one house to the other all in one day!

anonmum
  • G_M
    andrewjb3 wrote: »
    G_M: Would a section 21 (or 8 etc) be required, or is the tenant's notice sufficient to apply for a possession order?
    I'm not sure...

My belief was (just been reviewing) that the Notice ends the tenancy. Only a tenant, or a court, can end a tenancy so if the tenant serves (valid) notice, then the tenancy ends.

This thread here adds some confirmation. And some doubt:

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/forum/residential-letting-questions/1003420-tenant-giving-1-months-notice-and-then-rescinding-it-2-weeks-later
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    anonmum wrote: »
    hi,

Following this thread with interest because I have to give two months notice on my rented house.
    Are you certain of this? Unless it is specifically in your contract the law stipulates two months for the LL and one month for the T.
  • Chris_P wrote: »
    Hi. Am currently renting, in process of buying. Solicitor is waiti for a response from vendors solicitors and council on a couple of points. Everything else is done.

Solicitor says completion is feasible for end of september.

i need to give 4 weeks notice.

By the sounds of it, you haven't even exchanged contracts? Why not ask for 4 weeks between exchange and completion? That gives the surety of you actually moving, offers plenty of time to pack and sort everything out and minimises your costs by not have much of an overlap between purchase and end of renting. If your rent is a calendar month, then you may wish to set the completion date a few days before the end of the following month since giving your landlord a months notice in the middle of the month might mean you're still liable for rent to the end of the calendar month.

Don't forget there will a short delay in getting your rental deposit back.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • martindow wrote: »
    Are you certain of this? Unless it is specifically in your contract the law stipulates two months for the LL and one month for the T.

I will check on this - would make it far easier (and cheaper!) if it was just 1 month! Thanks for the info :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure