PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Moving house after a severe trauma, options & costs

I don't want to put too much detail here about what happened but the jist of it is that I feel the need to move home after a severe trauma happened there. I no longer feel I can stay, I have tried and simply panic, I'm in therapy at the moment and the majority of the time I am back with my parents, but need my independence.

I don't want to loose my flat but am left with no choice since i simply cannot live there anymore. I have decided to try and find another 1 bed flat of the same value in the same development. However, I am tied down with a Help to buy loan, I have spoken to them and I am not allowed to port my loan which i would of thought would be the easiest option but I can sell up, pay them the 20% back and then purchase another applying for the 20% loan again. This could all work out fine but I still need to consider all the buying and selling fees which I cannot afford, and not sure if they will allow me to buy what is technically not going to be a new build.

I decided to add the stamp duty to my mortgage, but will still incur solicitors, estate agents and help to buy admin fee. Which at it's cheapest will be £3000 dead money.

I just wondered if anyone else had any other ideas and options, or know of anyone that can help in unusual circumstances like these?

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Which help tto buy scheme? Equity Loan?

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/
    Equity loans are available to first time buyers as well as homeowners looking to move. The home you want to buy must be newly built with a price tag of up to £600,000.
    You won’t be able to sublet this home or enter a part exchange deal on your old home.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    movingon29 wrote: »
    I don't want to put too much detail here about what happened but the jist of it is that I feel the need to move home after a severe trauma happened there. I no longer feel I can stay, I have tried and simply panic, I'm in therapy at the moment and the majority of the time I am back with my parents, but need my independence.

Obviously it depends on the nature of the event, but have you considered (and perhaps discussed with your therapist) how you might feel about things in the future? It is understandable not to want to be in a place where you have suffered a severe trauma, but sometimes (depending on the circumstances) the actions we take in response to a trauma can later become part of the trauma itself.

Let me explain in a more neutral way. A friend moved in with a boyfriend in a house they purchased together and did up. They got married and had children. The relationship went badly wrong, they got divorced, the neighbours were friends with the ex-husband and made life even more difficult for my friend. She was so distressed by the situation that she was ready to hand the keys to the mortgage company and walk away. The house now held many bad memories, was financially contributing to her problems, and the neighbours made life hell on a daily basis. I persuaded her to stay because levaing would have a serious financial impact on her and remove the one thing which offered her and the children security and a kind of stability.

With hindsight she is so glad she stayed - even though the neighbours are still ****holes. For her one of the most important factors is that leaving the house would have made her situation worse and the loss of the home would have compounded an already bad situation. It would have added another thing to regret and be angry about to the long list she had.

There are some kind of traumas where you know that nothing will ever change the way you feel about something, in that case the decision becomes almost obvious. But try and take a step back and think how you might feel in a couple of years if - while still suffering - you made a decision which in hindsight has made your situation worse. Having a home is one of the most important things there is for our emotional stability - if you haven't already then perhaps you'd benefit from talking to someone about how you might feel in future if you go ahead and sell with financial consequences and some loss of your independence.

If you need more time to think about it, perhaps you could consider renting the flat out and using the income to rent elsewhere? That may not be an ideal situation, but it could give you some space and time to think.

I hope whatever you decide it works out well for you, and you are able to return to a happy and settled life :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • I do understand why someone would associate a particular home with a trauma that happened there.

Reel back to many years ago living in "Grotty Bedsit-land" and several things happened that shouldn't have in "Grotty Bedsit No. 1" and 4th "bedsit's fault problem" later and that was it. I was not going to give that bedsit the chance to cause me any more problems. Four in three years - that was a lot!

So - I moved to Grotty Bedsit No. 2 and was there about 3 years as well and that bedsit didnt cause me any problems in that time.

So - I do see where you are coming from and sometimes it really is down to a particular place that one has had a problem - rather than something that would have happened wherever one was living.

Good luck!

What I would say is that = whatever you are promised by anyone re keeping your existing terms - MAKE SURE YOU'VE GOT IT IN WRITING. They can't then renege on their promises to you.

Fingers crossed for you.
  • I am surprised that you want to move to the same type of flat in the same development, Surely it would still be a reminder? I think you are stronger than you realise if you are considering this, as most people would want to move away from the area that it happened.

To save you money is there anything you could do to make your flat look different or change the atmosphere in it. It is going to be a big expense to move not far away in an identical looking flat which may not change your way of thinking.

However, if a person was involved in the trauma who is still living nearby then yes I would want to move.

Hope you find peace what ever you decide
  • I am surprised that you want to move to the same type of flat in the same development, Surely it would still be a reminder? I think you are stronger than you realise if you are considering this, as most people would want to move away from the area that it happened.

To save you money is there anything you could do to make your flat look different or change the atmosphere in it. It is going to be a big expense to move not far away in an identical looking flat which may not change your way of thinking.

However, if a person was involved in the trauma who is still living nearby then yes I would want to move.

Hope you find peace what ever you decide

This is a potentially great idea. For the £3000 'dead money' you could get a gorgeous bathroom or most of a kitchen, for example.
  • Hi OP

I had a shared ownership home I sold during a period of ill health as I didn't feel strong enough to stay there and there was a bad neighbour who shot someone outside my home (in a very nice area) which made me feel like I lost control over my home.

4 years later, I do wonder if I should have kept it still.... as a shared owner I couldn't sub let (similar to you in help to buy i imagine) but once I felt stronger, a good year to 18 months after leaving, I did wonder if I should have kept it.

I would talk to your therapist about it.

I think you may lose out financially, and as HTB is only available on new builds, I don't think even in your circumstances you will be able to buy a new home in the same estate unless, it is, new. I do agree that the only minor difference, will likely not be as much of a help as you think to helping you move on, and instead time, and renovations, may help you disassociate the event with the apartment. However, don't let losing money hold you back if you really feel that home isn't making you well and won't give you joy in the future. No amount of money is worth your health and sanity.

If you are still recovering from the trauma, you may not be able to make a balanced decision right now, if you have the financial ability to take the time to give yourself time to think, make sure you don't push yourself to make a decision now you are not ready for.

I have actually stayed at home for 4 years following my illness, and saved money instead, after everything that happened to me when I sold my house. At first it felt like a lost of independence, then I adjusted, and decided to make the most of the experience (travelling and further education). I have focused on living life in other ways.

I have saved knowing I have a nest egg waiting for me when I am waiting to go back on the property ladder.

The travel and education I have treated myself to have been fundamentally the most important things in getting myself better, and perhaps maybe now isn't the right time for you to live alone again, but a time to surround yourself with the love and support of your family and do something to make you feel good about yourself and life again.

Sorry this is a bit of a ramble, but hopefully you get my point

Take care of yourself first, try not to make decisions until you know you are in the right mind frame to and make sure when you make the decision, you do whats right for you. You can always make more money, but you cannot make another you

Hugs and I hope you get stronger and better soon.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Could you spend the money you'd lose on moving expenses ona serious redecoration of the place? Make every room look different ?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you go for the same design and orientation, you could well wake up one morning and think you are back where you started from, though redecorated, so it's probably best to spend on making over the current one.
  • Thank you so much for all the replies, i'll try to address everything. Unfortunately the incident was much more serious and physical than relationship problems which is why i feel the need to move. It has been a little while since it happened so i tried the whole buy new stuff, completely changing the inside of the flat, such a good idea but it's not working. The same layout and the fact that there is no escaping thats where it happened still keeps preventing me from moving on.

I wanted to stay in the same development as thats the place i chose to live and waited years to get into, it's such a good location. I should correct that I would like a different layout flat, but still a 1 bed in the same price bracket.

I did speak to my therapist who believes the move will be very good for me due to the circumstances.

I heard back from Help To Buy again who are allowing me to purchase with the loan as a second time buyer, they can port loans for certain circumstances but decided to decline mine, god knows what has to of happened if this was declined. However, the catch is that admin fees still must be paid and they will not allow me to move home like you usually would in one transition where solicitors deal with the money of paying off loans, getting new ones out, transferring money to sellers etc. They want me to do it as 2 completely separate events, which seems impossible.

This would mean I have to sell up and pay them back, new people would move in and i have nowhere to go with all my furniture, wait for something to come available and then purchase another property. They basically gave me an option but made it virtually impossible to do, I will only just scrape the money of solicitors and agents fees.

So needless to say i'm feeling very upset, trapped and helpless right now.

The renting idea was great that one of you suggested, however after giving it some thought I wouldn't be able to due to still being tied down by help to buy. You are not allowed to rent out unless you pay the 20% back.

i'm so stuck!
  • I know you say you want to stay in the same development, but it sounds like logistically it's going to be very difficult to organise.
    You'd be better off selling up and starting again in a new neighbourhood - is there no where else you would consider moving? Or would selling and then renting be an option?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure