Switching from one Fibre Broadband provider to another

2»

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I have a feeling that, somewhere, I read that there is a charge every time you change fibre provider (whereas with ADSL it depends on the provider).

Is this so ?

How is that relevant to the OP. He has VM and BT options both totally separate from each other. If you cease a BT / Openreach line then a £30 charge could be made by the ISP for either service.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    geezzz You have been on here since 2006 and pay 2 lots of line rental. and from the 2 most expensive companies.

I bet your Gas is billed by British Gas too. ;)

Do you use the BT or VM phone as your main phone?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There will be no recabling work required at the property. Your new provider will use an OR fibre line from exchange to cab, and the existing copper pair onwards from there.
    VM is normally referred to as a cable service, not a fibre service (though it is fibre optic cable).
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 September 2017 at 11:54AM
    The only problem will be if the OP uses the VM phone as the main line, and has several sockets/wired phones around the house.

These will stop working when VM is cut off

You may have sufficient BT sockets around the house, and simply need to unplug phones from VM and connect to BT sockets

or worse case employee someone yourself to resolve it.
    I guess a cordless phone would be cheaper if the BT socket is near a mains socket outlet (3 pin plug)

well I hope the main big BT socket is anyway, as that is where the router needs to go.

OP this may all sound scary, but well worth getting it sorted now, for long term ease and affordability
  • dvtrv
    dvtrv Posts: 186
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks to all
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    How is that relevant to the OP. He has VM and BT options both totally separate from each other. If you cease a BT / Openreach line then a £30 charge could be made by the ISP for either service.
    I didn't say it was relevant to the OP, but thought it a good place to ask the question, as it may help someone reading the thread's title.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,021
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    There will be no recabling work required at the property. Your new provider will use an OR fibre line from exchange to cab, and the existing copper pair onwards from there.
    VM is normally referred to as a cable service, not a fibre service (though it is fibre optic cable).

VM is only fibre optic to the cab, it's a coax cable to the house , unless the OP is in a VM FTTH area, and that's not very likely
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure