PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread

Options

Comments

• Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Icing sugar. I have about half a packet taking up valuable cupboard space - and occupying a lock'n'lock box I could use for something else.

I don't do cake decorating any more, simply cba, and we've found that since Mr LW retired, if I make a cake, we eat it as dessert rather than as "extras" and don't need the extra calories icing would involve.

So any ideas to use the stuff up in recipes would be welcome. I do already have the pastry made with icing sugar recipe, but I rarely make sweet items that require pastry, so if it only gets used for that, it'll be kicking around for quite a while longer.
    I'm the same, have quite a stock of 'baking ingredients' but feel quite guilty about eating cheese scones etc so have them occasionally as a 'guilty pleasure!'
    I'm using up icing sugar by adding a spoonful to frozen berries as they defrost, just stir them a couple of times. Takes the sharpness away and thickens the juice.:)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Excellent idea about stirring it into berries; I occasionally add berries of one sort or another to apple crumble if the Bramley I'm using is on the small side, so maybe adding some to the those would work well. Thanks!
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the Icing sugar tips everyone, I also have a full packet of it in the cupboards.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sesame seeds - found 5 half opened packets when clearing out some tupperware. We already have 2 (1 large, 1 small) packs in the cupboard.

Any ideas?

We use them on bread rolls, sausage rolls, in flapjacks, and sprinkled onto chicken when having a chinese style night. I wondered if anybody can think of another use or way to use them.

TIA
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had a superb salad when we were in Berlin that was greens (not sure what but might have been spring greens even) with sliced red peppers dressed in a dressing that contained sesame oil and with toasted sesame seeds and it was delicious.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Another vote here for OLIO. I just joined our local group. Can't think of a better idea to use up lurking ingredients. Let other people use them up for you.
    And I've discovered that they also do non-food items too, so it ends up like freecycle with food. People are happy to take half-used packets.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • mamashaz
    mamashaz Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    Probably not as obscure as some things on here, but I have a jar of Genovese Basil Pesto that we got in a gift food hamper some time ago. I think the BB is summer 2015:o Since then we have had one of our household become vegetarian, so I'm sure it can be used up, I just don't know what to do with it.

Pesto stirred into mashed potato is yummy!
  • mamashaz
    mamashaz Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Chris25 wrote: »
    sesame seeds - found 5 half opened packets when clearing out some tupperware. We already have 2 (1 large, 1 small) packs in the cupboard.

Any ideas?

We use them on bread rolls, sausage rolls, in flapjacks, and sprinkled onto chicken when having a chinese style night. I wondered if anybody can think of another use or way to use them.

TIA

If you run out of ideas for using them, the birds love them!
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any suggestions for using up Puff Pastry?

I have 2 x 500g frozen puff pastry blocks. I'll be honest, I lack confidence around pastry of any description which is why I have avoided using them before now.

Any simple 'any idiot can do this' suggestions, either sweet or savoury, would be much appreciated.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    roll it out to a rectangle about 15" x 12" like for a Swiss roll, spread a generous amount of butter over it leaving a 1" edge on one of the shorter sides so you can damp it down and seal the pastry. Mix 4oz of brown sugar with 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 3oz of chopped pecan nuts and sprinkle this over the butter giving it a little press down with a light hand to set it and then roll up from the short side you haven't left the 1" margin on, damp the 1" with water and roll the roll over it to seal it well.Cut into 12 even sized pieces and lay them cut side up on a lined baking tray (use parchment/greaseproof paper) then pop into a 190/200 deg C pre heated oven 170/180 deg C fan oven and cook for 25/30 minutes (check after 20 in case your oven runs hot) and you will have almost Danish pastry cinnamon and pecan whirls. Enjoy!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure