Tax due May 1st - no reminder again!

Options

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I would let the DVLA know your not getting a V11. If that's not turning up regularly then all sorts could be going missing.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    Options
    Have you considered setting up a direct debit?

The DVLA will take the payment on the first working day of the month the tax is due.

Provided there is enough money in your account to cover the direct debit, you don't risk a fine.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pay by direct debit, then it all happens automatically and you don't have to remember. Don't understand why anyone paying yearly would do anything else to be honest, as it avoids having to deal with reminders and forgetting.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    Don't have a smart phone, but I do keep a daily diary, so will put it in there as well.

Whatever you are typing on likely has a calender function.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you considered setting up a direct debit?

The DVLA will take the payment on the first working day of the month the tax is due.

Provided there is enough money in your account to cover the direct debit, you don't risk a fine.

I was hoping that may be the case, as I have had a DD set up for a couple of years.
    Do I get an email confirmation, or shall I go to the GOV site to make sure it is taxed OK?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-direct-debit/renewing

Vehicle tax Direct Debit payments
    2. Renewing your vehicle tax

Your vehicle tax will renew automatically when it’s due to run out.

You’ll get an email or letter telling you when your Direct Debit payments will be taken.

You won’t be sent a vehicle tax reminder letter (V11).
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't have a smart phone, but I do keep a daily diary, so will put it in there as well.

How do you remember your MOT? Can you use the same method for tax? Alternatively setup a DD and you won't need to worry
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I setup a DD for my VED when I got the first renewal for my new car (salesman did the first year when registering it) and received an electronic mandate confirming this.

The email stated

"Your vehicle tax will automatically renew unless you notify us of any changes. We will send a new payment schedule at the time of renewal."

Sure enough 12 months later I got another email from them confirming it was paid

Ensure directdebit@taxdisc.service.gov.uk is not going to your spam folder and that you have the correct details entered online
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    Options
    I was hoping that may be the case, as I have had a DD set up for a couple of years.
    Do I get an email confirmation, or shall I go to the GOV site to make sure it is taxed OK?

I received the email below on 17/3 and the money was taken from my bank account on 3/4.

(I have taken out the personal parts)
    Thank you for arranging to pay the vehicle tax by Direct Debit.

Please can you check that the details below, and your payment schedule are correct:

Account name: xxxxxxxxx
    Account number: xxxxxxxxx
    Bank sort code: xxxxxxxxx

If any of the above financial details are incorrect please contact your bank as soon as possible.

However, if your details are correct you don’t need to do anything and your Direct Debit will be processed as normal. You have the right to cancel your Direct Debit at any time. A copy of the Direct Debit Guarantee is included with this letter.

Enclosed is a schedule of your Direct Debit payment showing the amount and date for collection. We recommend that you retain this schedule for your records. You do not need to wait for the first payment to be taken before the vehicle is used on the road.
    For your information, the collection will be made using this reference, and this is how your payment will be detailed on your bank statements:

DVLA Identifier: xxxxxxx
    Reference:xxxxxxxxx

Your vehicle tax will automatically renew unless you notify us of any changes. We will send a new payment schedule at the time of renewal.

Yours sincerely

You can also check on the GOV site.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

and contact them if your car is showing as untaxed.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    I setup a DD for my VED when I got the first renewal for my new car (salesman did the first year when registering it) and received an electronic mandate confirming this.

The email stated

"Your vehicle tax will automatically renew unless you notify us of any changes. We will send a new payment schedule at the time of renewal."

Sure enough 12 months later I got another email from them confirming it was paid

Ensure [EMAIL="directdebit@taxdisc.service.gov.uk"]directdebit@taxdisc.service.gov.uk[/EMAIL] is not going to your spam folder and that you have the correct details entered online
    Would this work when the tax due is £0,00? You still have to appley for tax.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure