Climbing the Mountain

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Fingers crossed you get the tax credits thing sorted ASAP - how ridiculous that they can just stop it like that without giving even a months notice - and they wonder why people find themselves in a mess?!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Thanks Dolly and EH. Unfortunately there has been a mistake on their part and we have been overpaid since last May. They are now taking the money back, basically by withholding all payments until we are caught up which will bring us to the end of the new financial year. Things were already very tight and now this... :(

I'll need to bring in much more money each month to help cover basic expenses and am not sure how to make it happen, but I know there is an answer out there somewhere. I fear money from selling the hobby bits will need to go on rent etc. rather than replacing the equip, which is frustrating as my best chance to bring in more money is by expanding that side of things. I am trying to be optimistic and think creatively as I do know in my heart that things tend to work out for the best even if we can't see it at the time.
  • That is shocking.

Fair enough they may have overpaid you but they should give you the option to pay it back over a period of time rather than just stopping your benefits.

Dxxx
  • Misty, that's shocking! How awful. Is there any way you can appeal? There must be some way that a payment plan can be arranged instead?
  • I was pretty shocked myself. The man on the phone said that withholding the amount was the only repayment option and seemed to have very little sympathy as we have been receiving more than we should have. I felt like I was being accused of fraud. The ironic thing is that I gave them all the correct numbers last year and they are the ones that made the mistake.

I didn't realise I could appeal something like this - once he explained it to me it was clear that we were getting more than we should, and they now had the correct amount allocated to us which would be withheld to repay what we owed. I just assumed that there is nothing more to be done. I will look into appealing it but it doesn't seem logical that they would give me money I'm not due? Or do you mean appeal the repayment schedule?
  • I was pretty shocked myself. The man on the phone said that withholding the amount was the only repayment option and seemed to have very little sympathy as we have been receiving more than we should have. I felt like I was being accused of fraud. The ironic thing is that I gave them all the correct numbers last year and they are the ones that made the mistake.

I didn't realise I could appeal something like this - once he explained it to me it was clear that we were getting more than we should, and they now had the correct amount allocated to us which would be withheld to repay what we owed. I just assumed that there is nothing more to be done. I will look into appealing it but it doesn't seem logical that they would give me money I'm not due? Or do you mean appeal the repayment schedule?

I mean appeal against them stopping all the money, didn't think they could leave you with nothing. That just doesn't seem fair especially as it's their fault in the first place x
  • EssexHebridean
    I think there is a board on here relating to benefits etc Misty - I'd suggest you post over there and see what people say - it seems implausible to me that they can leave you in financial hardship like this.

On the sale of the hobby stuff and use of money - I think perhaps you actually need to be taking a longer term approach on your spending here - although it is a bit of a vicious circle I know. Realistically though, you HAVE to replace the equipment as, as you say, it's your way out of the hole you're currently in.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • Thank you EH I will have a look on the other board and see what info is there. We are down to the bare bones as it is, keeping the heating off, doing without things we need, canceling dentist appointments, stopping pocket money, no gift buying, not using the car at all and spending under £30 a week to feed the four of us and pup. There isn't a lot of wiggle room in our budget. Hub is trying to get more hours at work and so am I, but everyone is in the same boat with needing more hours and both of us are close to the bottom of the priority list, having been among the last people hired.

I am going to go through our belongings again to see if there is something I haven't yet thought of to sell aside from the hobby items. Mainly to make sure we have the rent this month but also to start saving for the new equip. I knew I would rue the day I sold it as it will cost twice as much to replace unless I can find it used, which is not likely. Needs must and all that, no use regretting what has been done. :p
  • I've been reading posts and it seems that the situation isn't very unusual but also isn't right, so I will write a few letters to try and sort something out.

Today and tomorrow I'm finalising the two projects. I am spending more time on them than truly necessary but I want them finished to a very high standard. It's quite exciting to know I could one day be doing this full time and actually earn a living wage from it. :)

I have a couple of easier weeks after Monday so will get back into a stricter daily routine and spend a good chunk of the day cleaning up the hobby bits and listing them on fb, gumshrub and evilbay. Things seem to be in chaos at the moment, I need to take back some control.
  • EssexHebridean
    Good work and positive attitude there Misty - well done! Fingers crossed the letters get the desired effect.
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business