What's the most cost effective way of staying warm whilst working from home?

Hi.
I went freelance this year which means working from home all day in a single room. As the winter approaches it has struck me that I will be in a dilemma regarding house warmth this year.
Do I whip the heater on all day, every day and heat the whole house or is there something else I can do? I only need one room warm all day and it would seem a waste of money the whole heating system on for the house just to keep one room warm.
Any suggestions? The house is Victorian and has draughty sash windows (saving to have them replaces) so insulation is poor.
I don't mind spending out on some things that may help me save money in the long term as I don't envisage my employment situation changing the in the near future - I'd just like to be a bit more savvy with my energy expenditure...
Regards
Andy

Comments

• reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    andyward82 wrote: »
    Hi.
    I went freelance this year which means working from home all day in a single room. As the winter approaches it has struck me that I will be in a dilemma regarding house warmth this year.
    Do I whip the heater on all day, every day and heat the whole house or is there something else I can do? I only need one room warm all day and it would seem a waste of money the whole heating system on for the house just to keep one room warm.
    Any suggestions? The house is Victorian and has draughty sash windows (saving to have them replaces) so insulation is poor.
    I don't mind spending out on some things that may help me save money in the long term as I don't envisage my employment situation changing the in the near future - I'd just like to be a bit more savvy with my energy expenditure...
    Regards
    Andy
    Difficult to answer without more info. If others will be coming home from school or work in late afternoon or evening then maybe turn down the c.h. After breakfast and turn it up at mid afternoon but rely on local heating e.g. Oil filled electric radiator for your work room during the day. The alternative is to go round adjusting all the radiators morning and afternoon but maybe life' too short for that.
    Generally I'm not in favour of reducing a central heating system to one room heating ....I remember the bad old days of one coal fire with the rest of the house freezing ....but in your case as you appear to be confining yourself to one room for many hours per day then it could be worthwhile.
  • Thanks. I have a lodger who comes in at about 6.30.
    I think based on what you said I'll have it timed for 7-8 (before I get up) then a couple of hours around mid-day then a few in the evening after perhaps...
  • Gizmo247
    Gizmo247 Posts: 492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    This may not be suitable for your house but I'll share anyway.

I work from home 90% of the time. I have a Honeywell Evohome heating control installed with each room setup as a separate zone so I can heat each room independently. Rooms are completely turned off that are not occupied and I only heat my office during working hours.

It is expensive to install but has more than paid for itself over the last 4 years.
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j
  • Ah I was just thinking about looking into something like that. I'll have a look a that today. Thanks. :)
  • May I ask how much this system cost to install? It seems like exactly what I'm looking for!
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I start with a jumper, slippers, and if necessary a cosy blanket. If it gets colder than that, I'll shut the door and put the heating on only in the front room where I work. If it gets colder than that, it's time for hot chocolate and Baileys. :)
  • Gizmo247
    Gizmo247 Posts: 492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    It's around £600 to install. Did it myself.

Recently had a new boiler installed as the old one was on its last legs. I could either have 10 years warranty with their own "whole house" thermostat or 8 years using my Evohome. No competition - chose mine. Once you have gone multi-zone, nothing else will do.
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j
  • That's not so bad at all mate. I'll definitely look into it. I have a couple of spare rooms, etc that hardly ever need heating - seems crazy that this kind of system isn't commonplace!
    Thanks again.
    Andy
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    We get many similar questions.

Surely it is not too onerous to switch the radiators off/low in the morning and turn up when required?
  • Well, some time ago I had a problem with my 'motorised valves' apparently and the solution at the time was to take off all the valves on the rads and run the system that way (don't ask me why). I've had the boiler replaced since then so I suppose getting a load of valves and popping them on would be the easiest thing to do...

Mind you, that's 9 valves I'm going to have to go around three/four times a day adjusting...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure