PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Keeping scrambled egg in fridge

I am making my poor old dog scrambled egg for breakfast everymorning, of course in the interests of fairness and harmony, I also have to make some for my not so old dog too.
If I have to be on an early shift they give me guilt inducing looks so I end up egg scrambling rather than lunch packing! ( they could wait for OH to get up, but it's there, the guilt, I go to work wondering if he will remember, the dogs will lie and tell him they've not been fed, ever! etc:o )
So, if I have my organised head on, I make two days worth when I am not at work. ( then hope OH doesnt feed it all to them on the first day)
How long does scrambled egg keep in the fridge so I could make several days worth? The dogs aren't fussy about how it tastes, but I dont want to give them iffy tummies. Im also fed up of washing out eggy pans every day.

Thanks

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Can't you just zap a couple of days worth in the microwave? Much quicker, dogs not fussy about texture and washing up is far easier.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Real scrambled egg (despite the washing up), has a nice texture - I expect it would be OK (even microwaved for temperature) on another day. Expect doggy "looks" if found to be cold & not as preferred steaming from freshly cooked to order.

However, dog should not dictate *your* feeding & OH can microwave an egg for dog If Needful.
    Love yourself first!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    If covered, well, wrapped and air-tight, I'd expect it to last 3-4 days in the fridge... after that time I'd just "not fancy it", but dogs can't tell when it was cooked or how long it's been in the fridge :)
  • Grumpysally
    Grumpysally Posts: 790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Real scrambled egg (despite the washing up), has a nice texture - I expect it would be OK (even microwaved for temperature) on another day. Expect doggy "looks" if found to be cold & not as preferred steaming from freshly cooked to order.

However, dog should not dictate *your* feeding & OH can microwave an egg for dog If Needful.
    Love yourself first!

I don't normally pander to pets, or partners, but Poor Old Dog is at the stage where every morning he is able to greet me with a wag of his tail and make it downstairs to the kitchen, is a bonus. So I'm spoiling him, he's not likely to be around much longer. Then Not So Old Dog will have to go cold turkey.

I find microwave scrambled eggs more time consuming than done on the hob, and the dish is harder to wash than the pan.

Big myths from the 1980's, Scrambled eggs are a doddle in the microwave. CD's are indestructible. ..... Oh and some woman saying that the pound in our pocket was safe with her! ( though that could have been late 70's )
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,664 Forumite
    Leave the washing up to other half as his contribution to Poor Old Dog's wellbeing? :)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Ah, in that case, cosset Poor Old Dog & cook as your heart suggests & bid OH do similarly, on the understanding that when they, too, are old you will make them scrambled egg every day.

You may want to consider making & freezing sandwiches that can defrost to edibility for lunch (I'm told ham is good for this) and/or consider the use of a slow cooker so you can do several platefuls in one cooking. Possibly out of dog reach, that latter?!
    Sounds like judicious meal planning would give you more time with dog & OH & still get you all fed & well daily. Often MS as well! More time reading here may pay off?
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    I may be being a bit thick here, but should you keep the scrambled egg cooked or uncooked?

I always seem to let eggs go past their use by date, so am trying to think of a way of keeping them. Would the uncooked scrambled egg freeze and defrost successfully?
  • Grumpysally
    Grumpysally Posts: 790 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2017 at 1:44PM
    Ah, in that case, cosset Poor Old Dog & cook as your heart suggests & bid OH do similarly, on the understanding that when they, too, are old you will make them scrambled egg every day.

You may want to consider making & freezing sandwiches that can defrost to edibility for lunch (I'm told ham is good for this) and/or consider the use of a slow cooker so you can do several platefuls in one cooking. Possibly out of dog reach, that latter?!
    Sounds like judicious meal planning would give you more time with dog & OH & still get you all fed & well daily. Often MS as well! More time reading here may pay off?

I've spent ten years reading here and still not got the hang of meal planning so I suspect I'm a lost cause in that respect, maybe that's where I'm going wrong. Less time on here more time feeding my family :-)
    Who say's we are not well fed anyway? I dont recall anything about that in my original post.
    I think we are getting slightly off piste here.
    Anyway I shall give a big batch a try for about 4 days and leave a sticker on it to prevent double rations being given.

JK0 not sure about using frozen for scrambling, but I think you would be able to use them in recipes. Recipes that call for egg yolk or white only, often say to lightly whisk the left over portion and freeze.
    I do find though that eggs are quite OK for a while past their best by date. Do the floating egg test if you are unsure.

Edit: just remembered, froze raw scrambled egg last year to take camping, with cooked bcon and mushrooms in. Worked OK, but took forever on camping stove because they were still partly frozen and I was frightened of poisoning us with the bacon.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Feed dogs as you are currently doing and leave dishes in to soak, for OH to wash up. ;)

Fwiw, I think you are doing a Good Thing making Old Dog's remaining time as good as it can possibly be.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • carriebradshaw
    carriebradshaw Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    can't you just do them the night before?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure