New Xbox out by the end of the year

Comments

• jpowell123
    jpowell123 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Project Scorpio better be the best system its released to compare with the switch whatever Sony puts up at E3.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Looking at the specs I'm definitely not getting one plus the cost is putting me off considering imo it isn't much of an upgrade.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Looking at the specs I'm definitely not getting one plus the cost is putting me off considering imo it isn't much of an upgrade.

Price will put people off just like with PS4 pro and ps vr. I am sure whichever out of Sony and Microsoft was last in deciding to make an upgrade console only did so because they heard the other was going to.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The scorpio is decent - 4k 60fps natively with 6 tflops just for 4k rendering (putting it on par with high-end pc GPU), 8 core processor @ 2.3ghz, and although they're planning on their own VR headset (or "mixed reality as they call it), theres a lot of talk Occulus or HTC could have their headsets supported on it.

Downside is the £450 price tag. Sure the PS4 pro isn't as good (4k 30fps natively with 4.2 tflops & 8 core processor @ 2.1ghz) but its £100 cheaper. That being said, PC gaming proves there are people willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money just for slightly improved graphics/performance so no doubt both consoles will have their buyers.

Must admit I am thinking about upgrading but I'm still running the vanilla xbone & ps4 so would be more of an upgrade for me than someone who's already upgraded. I'm not desperate to upgrade though as outlay would be £1000 (for console & 4k tv as I dont have one presently, would be over £1500 if including VR!) and personally, there has been a lack of noteworthy games released thus far. If that changes then I might be more motivated.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • donnajunkie
    Forumite
    The scorpio is decent - 4k 60fps natively with 6 tflops just for 4k rendering (putting it on par with high-end pc GPU), 8 core processor @ 2.3ghz, and although they're planning on their own VR headset (or "mixed reality as they call it), theres a lot of talk Occulus or HTC could have their headsets supported on it.

Downside is the £450 price tag. Sure the PS4 pro isn't as good (4k 30fps natively with 4.2 tflops & 8 core processor @ 2.1ghz) but its £100 cheaper. That being said, PC gaming proves there are people willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money just for slightly improved graphics/performance so no doubt both consoles will have their buyers.

Must admit I am thinking about upgrading but I'm still running the vanilla xbone & ps4 so would be more of an upgrade for me than someone who's already upgraded. I'm not desperate to upgrade though as outlay would be £1000 (for console & 4k tv as I dont have one presently, would be over £1500 if including VR!) and personally, there has been a lack of noteworthy games released thus far. If that changes then I might be more motivated.
    Did you know the vr headset can be used to watch movies also. I believe it gives the illusion of watching on a big screen. So it's not just about games. Having said that they are still too pricey.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Did you know the vr headset can be used to watch movies also. I believe it gives the illusion of watching on a big screen. So it's not just about games. Having said that they are still too pricey.

Could get the same effect by sitting too close to the telly and sticking a blanket over the tv & myself :D

Well, not quite. But still, as you say - pricey. Especially for the content available for them right now. I think its got good potential but then so did the kinect - it just wasn't used or developed to its full potential imo. Little more than a voice remote in most cases. Even thats kind of pointless for me because half the time it doesn't understand my accent. Admittedly its better than nintendos voice recognition though.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Billy101 wrote: »
    Nah man. Be it scorpio or One S. Xbox sucks for me. I will never spent any dime on this machine ever.

I've never owned a MS console, but I also haven't bought into the PS4 yet. I don't play games often, so PS3 has years of life left for me. The biggest annoyance now is UHD bluray, if Sony had supported them then it would be a no-brainer.

With XBox One X supporting UHD bluray and being more powerful, means that as soon as they are cheap enough then I'll probably buy one.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite

While technically it's possible to watch films in VR, it's pretty much useless - the resolution of the VR headset is in practice very low because the screens are right in front of your eyes so it's like watching a film on a very low resolution budget device. Also the current VR headsets are bulky and not comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

John
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Like the PS4 Pro, the weak processor looks like it will hold Scorpio back as it's only had a small bump in speed compared to the GPU. This means the likes of Gears of War 4 which is getting an 'X' update to 4K for the new console is still locked at 30fps for Horde compared to 60fps on the PC and it's a very noticeable difference.
  • donnajunkie
    Forumite
    Could get the same effect by sitting too close to the telly and sticking a blanket over the tv & myself :D

Well, not quite. But still, as you say - pricey. Especially for the content available for them right now. I think its got good potential but then so did the kinect - it just wasn't used or developed to its full potential imo. Little more than a voice remote in most cases. Even thats kind of pointless for me because half the time it doesn't understand my accent. Admittedly its better than nintendos voice recognition though.

I thought the issue with Kinect was if people wanted a workout they would go to the gym. I dont think people want playing games to be like a workout.
    I believe there were some vr games featured at e3.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure