December Debt Destruction!!!

Comments

• This made me smile. I don't mean to shout when I use capitals, I must stress that. I just simply want people to realise where all the money goes.

I am just about to add one more thing to the list - which is to keep a list of what your money is spent on... a very thorough list... even that 75p for a card or something from a charity shop..

Your names speaks volumes - you are Determined. Thats all I ask.

WELCOME on board ladies. You are all numbered!

I know your not shouting I'm teasing you :-) its good to have someone motivated on here to round troops up... You are our ddd Sargent :rotfl:

The list is the one thing I started 2 days ago actually!

I'm missing my salad at work already :-( :(
    Started again 25th December 2017
    Current tracking - £7,955.84/ £18,282.25 to pay off. (31.12.19)
  • Kat
    In regards to the homeless person, I must say I don't think I have ever seen a homeless person around here?? Can I maybe buy some food for the pets at my local sanctuary or feed a stray?

Okay I like the stray idea! Do that instead!
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".

• Determined
    I have had to stay out of the canteen due to macaroni and cheese heart palpitations...
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • I have taken a photo of the bullet points... Will print this out tomorrow x3.. One for my fridge, one for purse and one for desk! Eeeek
  • I am completely excited for this - bring it on! I already have my money tin at the ready :D

Candy
    x
  • Siouxsie32
    Siouxsie32 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier

• On one of your NSD’s find a homeless person and buy him/her a tea / coffee out of your budget. Don’t assume either, talk to the person and ask what they prefer.

Nice touch! Reminds me of one time I was in New York and I had just bought two slices of pizza (one wasn't quite enough, two too much but I was hungry so went with two). Anyway, I saw a homeless man and felt a bit bad so I gave him one of my slices. As I walked away I heard "Hey lady, you forgot the pepperoni". :rotfl:

I've seen those money tins in the pound shop. I bought one a few years ago and my tin opener wouldn't open it because the metal rim was too high. Had to attack it in with a chisel in a moment of desparation!

Spending diary? Geekily I have a column in my spreadsheet for spends!
  • I have got 4 of the big money tins and 1 small one lol I'm on a mission in 2013 I mean it!

Small = £2 challenge
    Big 1 = 20p challenge
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    rising_from_the_ashes Posts: 12,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 27 November 2012 at 11:24PM
    Wow! I'm out (again!) as can't stick to some of the bullet points :(booger as I've been holding off declaring a NSD target on the December thread as I was waiting to see what it was ....
    • Food budget must decided upon before the commencement of this challenge then slashed by £30. I am assuming you have started Christmas food shopping and won’t need too much more – yes?
    Nope - Christmas food shopping not started:eek: ...... normal food budget still way more than normal as still on this really restricted diet!
    • All money needed for the month for food or spends is to be withdrawn and placed in envelopes clearly marked for purpose.
    No way of achieving this - I buy everything on my c/card (paid in full each month) and budget wouldn't allow a full month withdrawal of cash as work 2 weeks in advance / 2 weeks in arrears due to c/card cut off & pay dates
    • Set a petrol allowance and stick to it. When in doubt walk.
    Nearest town is 7 miles & use a walking stick .... sorry but just not feasible

A couple of wee questions ....
    • An NSD does not include petrol, car maintenance, medications, household bills and travel to work.,
    What about things from other budgets - eg pets stuff comes from their pot (which has already been set aside in a separate account) - is like having money in an envelope?

On one of your NSD’s find a homeless person and buy him/her a tea / coffee out of your budget. Don’t assume either, talk to the person and ask what they prefer.
    Bit confused .... how can you buy tea / coffee if it's a NSD or am I being really stupid :o (probably!)

Glad I've not failed on everything .....
    • Call 5 friends / family members / acquaintances / work colleague / virtual stranger’s – and tell them you will not be buying gifts this year.
    Already don't buy!
    • DO NOT enter any secret Santa at work or anywhere else.
    Done!
    • Those of you who are new to this challenge clear your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more food. You DO NOT NEED reems of food for Christmas Day. Buy very CAREFULLY. What do you always buy each year that NEVER gets eaten?
    Freezers inventoried & need to use up some of the stuff lurking in there!
    • Down-shift some “essentials” to Supermarket Own Brands…get the family used to it now!!!
    Do this anyway - where possible (food restrictions)
    •• NO ENTRY to any sales in the month of DDD. Unless you have a planned budget and have been saving for a specific item PLEASE do not go to the Boxing Day Sales. I just put a dress from NEXT on eBay that I bought last Boxing Day and never wore. Its temptation you can’t handle to buy tat you really don’t need. STAY AT HOME!!!
    Happy to & honestly can't imagine a worse way to spend a day!:o I HATE shopping
    • Buy one of these. Start filling it. You will not be given access for 1 year. Once its full you start another one.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=money+tins
    Already started!:)
    You can also get tins in places like £land, £stretcher for those who need some (really need to get to somewhere like that but can't just now & it's really frustrating - keep looking for stuff online that I know I can get there cheap & it's way more expensive!

Spending diary .... done it for years!

mmmmmm wish you luck again .... and will be there supporting you and cheering you on from the sidelines :T

Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Siouxsie32
    Siouxsie32 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    I'm in the same boat as CandyCupcake, I only buy gifts for my immediate family so can't cut out 5 people so what i propose instead is that I make the money from somewhere for all their gifts (eg sell something on ebay). Does that work? 6 kids to buy for and there would be tears if I left 5 of them out :eek:
  • WOW!!!! What a challenge! :j/:eek: (at the same time)
    Some of it I have been doing on/off for years...spending diary, money tin...there must be more I am sure...
    Not doing secret santa this year (decided today at work)...not need any toiletries in the month of December (or much longer)...can do homeless people any time, it just tickled me(wanting to do this for a very long time out of feeling very lucky to have a roof over my head/food/work/?money/smile and warm heart to make these people a bit special and also noticed), so a good one KAT :T. I think I can do all of those bullet points, better print them out :rotfl:so I won't forget.
    I want to start baking (mainly bread as I can only eat gluten free stuff), but I have no baking tins or other baking equipment. I need to buy them on my SD and budget for it first. Not sure if the home made bread works out cheeper than the one from any supermarket. Any idea/experience on this one anybody? :undecided
    No Xmas presents this year, my family is a sensible one and I won't see them until after Xmas/New year anyway. If I go shopping I have the vouchers/gift cards to spend so it should not break my account. :j
    So Kat, count me in.:j:snow_laug:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:
    DMP started 2/2007
    DMP Mutual support #136
    DFD July 2013 May 2024 Oct 2017 Feb 2017 April 2017...t's complicated :eek::eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure