PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help please - no viewings :(

Comments

• Placitasgirl- thanks these are great suggestions. We have a 6 seater table and chairs already in that room and in use - it really is a lovely big space but the pictures are naff!

The £1k buyer incentive is an EA thing (apparently it helps them to sell?!) - I'll ask them to take it off when we change the price.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My gut feeling is that it always comes down to price in the end!

It always does. Even with naff photos, if the price is right people will take a look to see the potential in person. The fact that people aren't even bothering to take a look at your place suggests the price is set so high (especially given the price guide silliness) that it's simply not worth doing even that.

If you can't take £117, knock it down to £119,950 with no guide price and no buyers' incentive then you might get somewhere. And sort out the photos and other comments others have made - personally I regard any ad which doesn't show the exterior of the house as the first shot as if the buyer's trying to hide something....
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Photos are bad - clearly they've had a fiddle around with a few filters and tried to make them look pretty and saturated but it doesn't help that they're taken from weird angles (peering round the corner of wardrobes etc) and none of them show off the full size of your rooms.
    It's also odd that the listing begins with the living room instead of the exterior.
    Garden looks pretty bleak - maybe tidy up a bit out there (is that a recliner in the garden??) and put a few pots of plants out there.
    It looks like a pretty nice house but isn't presented as well as it could be.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'd definitely say that you would benefit from some better photos. Before having them taken I personally would suggest that you:

1) Remove the frying pans and aprons from the rack on the kitchen wall and the papers on the side of the fridge freezer for new photos. This will help to make the space seem less cluttered.

2) Make your beds more neatly for photos and viewings - although they're not exactly "unmade" they could be a lot neater for the photographs and viewings.

3) I'd turn around the bed in the "green" room so that it was under the picture on the wall and not right under the window. I think this would "open up" the room.

4) If you're calling a room a kitchen/diner you really ought to be showing as a space you can cook and also eat in. Consider putting in a table and chairs even if it's only the green set you currently have in the garden. At least you're then selling the idea that two people could enjoy meals in the kitchen diner.

5) Put away some of your garden chairs for photos and viewings to de clutter the garden a little.

6) Borrow or rent a power washer to clean off the green moss from your garden decking and patio slabs. This will help it look brighter and more attractive to buyers.

And if all that fails, just drop the price.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'd definitely say that you would benefit from some better photos. Before having them taken I personally would suggest that you:

1) Remove the frying pans and aprons from the rack on the kitchen wall and the papers on the side of the fridge freezer for new photos. This will help to make the space seem less cluttered.

2) Make your beds more neatly for photos and viewings - although they're not exactly "unmade" they could be a lot neater for the photographs and viewings.

3) I'd turn around the bed in the "green" room so that it was under the picture on the wall and not right under the window. I think this would "open up" the room.

4) If you're calling a room a kitchen/diner you really ought to be showing as a space you can cook and also eat in. Consider putting in a table and chairs even if it's only the green set you currently have in the garden. At least you're then selling the idea that two people could enjoy meals in the kitchen diner.

5) Put away some of your garden chairs for photos and viewings to de clutter the garden a little.

6) Borrow or rent a power washer to clean off the green moss from your garden decking and patio slabs. This will help it look brighter and more attractive to buyers.

These are all the same things I was going to suggest. I'd also add - consider putting some planters or hanging baskets into the back garden so there is a bit of colour - it looks really grim at present, not somewhere you'd want to spend any time at all!

I'd also take the rug out of the living room so it looks larger (and clean the poor fish's bowl, for the fish's sake, as well as to make it look better!)

I would also suggest that you get the agents to re-order the photos so that they start with the outside of the house and then move logically through, rather than jumping at random from inside to out and from one floor to another.

I personally would suggest putting an asking price rather than 'guide price' or 'offers over'. If you want to achieve (and are advised that it is reasonable to achieve) £120K then put it on at £125K. People will almost always expect to haggle so if you market at £120K, unless you are in an area with very high demand, you are likely to get offers below that.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Thanks for all of your suggestions - they are greatly appreciated and really constructive. It's funny what you don't see when it's your own home (but I would definitely notice when looking on rightmove for potential houses to buy!!).

I've called the agents and asked them to take away the guide price and market at £120k, to re-order the photos and find one that shows the table (even if it's not a great shot) as a priority.

Next steps are to do a bit more de-cluttering and tidying and do some more photos taking on board your suggestions.
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 July 2017 at 1:34PM
    Ok well I am not a designer/speailist but we buy houses some we keep and some we sell.

The first thing that you have to start to do is to remember that this is no longer your house. This is an investment. You are not selling your way of life you are selling an idea of a way of life. So for example your children's bedroom it is ok to have one or two teddies as it shows that the house is a family home but the rest has to be clear and out of site. E.G The next owner may not have children and may be thinking how much work it would take to change it into a study. Do not wish to be nasty but de-kiddy it.

If you can store some of your belongings for a while fantastic. It is not nice but you have to start to think plain jane, space and light.

Kitchen- clear the top and have some green, plants herbs etc. You want to show fresh, clean and practical. When you sell someone may not like a certain type of paint or wallpaper but they will not mind as these are relativity cheap to change. You do not want them to walk in and think that they have to change a kitchen or bathroom as this is expensive. You need the next owner to walk in and not need to think that changing the bathroom or kitchen is something that they need to do straight away.

We sold our family home( yes it is very different when it is your own ) in a weekend and got top money. Not because I am a amazing but because for a couple of weeks before we had, cleaned, emptied and freshened up everything. ( in November ) Take any family or personal items off the walls. De-personalize everything. I know my daughter found this hard to begin with but it is a means to an end.

Right move Photos sell. If someone is looking on line your photos have to jump out enough to make someone want to book a viewing.

If you are not happy change EA. They are working for you and it is your house and your money so no hard feelings just do it.

This is not your home this is your bank account and you have to make sure that you get the most out of it as you can.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    BJV wrote: »
    Ok well I am not a designer/speailist but we buy houses some we keep and some we sell.

The first thing that you have to start to do is to remember that this is no longer your house. This is an investment. You are not selling your way of life you are selling an idea of a way of life. So for example your children's bedroom it is ok to have one or two teddies as it shows that the house is a family home but the rest has to be clear and out of site. E.G The next owner may not have children and may be thinking how much work it would take to change it into a study. Do not wish to be nasty but de-kiddy it.

If you can store some of your belongings for a while fantastic. It is not nice but you have to start to think plain jane, space and light.

Kitchen- clear the top and have some green, plants herbs etc. You want to show fresh, clean and practical. When you sell someone may not like a certain type of paint or wallpaper but they will not mind as these are relativity cheap to change. You do not want them to walk in and think that they have to change a kitchen or bathroom as this is expensive. You need the next owner to walk in and not need to think that changing the bathroom or kitchen is something that they need to do straight away.

We sold our family home( yes it is very different when it is your own ) in a weekend and got top money. Not because I am a amazing but because for a couple of weeks before we had, cleaned, emptied and freshened up everything. ( in November ) Take any family or personal items off the walls. De-personalize everything. I know my daughter found this hard to begin with but it is a means to an end.

Right move Photos sell. If someone is looking on line your photos have to jump out enough to make someone want to book a viewing.

If you are not happy change EA. They are working for you and it is your house and your money so no hard feelings just do it.

This is not your home this is your bank account and you have to make sure that you get the most out of it as you can.

Not any more.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 12 July 2017 at 7:34AM
    more than 50%(11/19) of 3 bed within 1/2mile upto £140k are SSTC so stuff is moving.

3bd+1/2mile+SSTC

go talk to these guys that have had an offer(GUIDE PRICE £130,000 - £135,000) to find out what they really got.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57471940.html

more SSTC
    A 4 bed @ 130

this was on at 140-150 so people are maybe paying a bit more looks a bit bigger

you also have 2 <1y real sale prices
    £130k Dec 16 different style

£121K Sept 16 same style

and this one nearby
    £125k April 17

edit : should have added, not a lot to go on but £120k looks ballpark about right certainly not excessively top heavy but is local market slowing may be a waiting game if you can get the people through the door, 11/19 SSTC suggest supply/demand is matched but maybe both are slow.

Guide X-y seems to be common locally with more than just WHB.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    For me,'buyer's incentive' means there's something wrong with this property or we're desperate - certainly not for something new to market.

Photos - I am no photographer but surely these are dire - no 'full rooms' , everywhere looks poky and awkward with an air of what are they hiding at the other end of the room when, from the dimensions, they're actually fine.

Guide price to me also has an air of desperation at this end of the market, like an auction or distressed sale.

Sorry, but looks like agent has some weird ideas and a rubbish photographer - certainly for my area they would be.

Usually photos are meant to flatter a place and pull you in, not the other way round.

Cosmetics - agree with others, you could clean up a bit (garden and fishbowl) and remove a bit of clutter for more instant eye appeal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure