Options

Comments

• EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 July 2017 at 9:50AM
    Options
    tusk wrote: »
    I've been looking at A.J.BELL, SELFTRADE, X-O and SVS ...
    If you want the freedom in future to change platform on price hikes then I would suggest avoiding AJ Bell.

Over the past three years or so AJ Bell have twice raised prices in ways that for some customers resulted in a 4x to 6x increase in annual platform fees. On each occasion they refused point-blank to allow limited time fee-free transfers out to other platforms.

(As it happens, on the first of these price hikes I fled AJ Bell Youinvest for Interactive Investor. No complaints so far. Given what I hold in my SIPP -- tracker funds/OEICs, so different to your ETFs -- my cumulative saving over Youinvest is now approaching £1k.)
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 4 July 2017 at 5:27PM
    Options
    tusk wrote: »
    Reading the TD website it now seems certain they are moving to II's pricing structure, I've sent an e-mail to both platforms but just received waffle in reply so, I holding only ETF's am on my bike. I've been looking at A.J.BELL, SELFTRADE, X-O and SVS, with X-O and SVS coming out the cheapest, followed by SELFTRADE and A.J.BELL. Has anyone had any experience of these brokers.
    The OH moved from SelfTrade to TD Direct when SelfTrade was bought by Equiniti.

Having just reviewed their charges they do seem reasonable for a non-UT/OIEC investor. An no platform (inactivity) charge if you trade at least once per quarter, otherwise £10+VAT per quarter.

The OH could easily make use of the RI feature so as to ensure the inactivity fee is not triggered.

EDIT: Tusk.... it is probably worth commenting that others on these boards quite like HALIFAX and IWEB (regarding charges etc), may be worth you having a look.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • tusk
    tusk Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    @ cloud dog
    checked out Selftrade they don't carry one of my ETF's thank god! have you read the reviews on Review Center and Trustpilot one star and a lot of angry people. Also had reply's from A.J.Bell, SVS, Barclays, HL,and X-O. I have also visited the iG web site didn't fancy that. X-O have been very helpful and get back to you within an hour or two so at the moment I'm going with them basic web site but that is all I need. ii got back to me about the ETF's they either don't carry or won't allow in their ISA asked me for a list and would get back by return, still waiting. O yes and i Web I already have an ISA with them.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't know X-O, but they are run by Jarvis, who I have dealt with and they are OK. The people on the helpline are generally helpful (surprise!) and although the site is basic, if they deal in what you want it works fine.
  • cloud_dog
    Options
    I have my dealing/ISA accounts with X-O. They are, as people have mentioned basic but perfectly adequate.

The only additional consideration in using X-O is that they do have an account closure fee (£50 I believe) which a number of other brokers do not levy.

As mentioned others have previously given positive comments on iWeb. £25 account opening fee and only £5 per trade. iWeb use the Halifax platform and I Halifax only charge £12.50 per year for an ISA account, and they do offer a regular investment option (whereas iWeb do not).

EDIT: Just noticed that you say you already have an account with iWeb; why wouldn't you just transfer your TD Direct to iWeb?

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I find they are paying dividends a bit quicker now, things have speeded up from the dirty/clean shambles.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I find they are paying dividends a bit quicker now, things have speeded up from the dirty/clean shambles.

Just out of interest how quick is a 'bit quicker'

For example CSD will credit accessible dividends on the due date well before midday without fail, except where the dividend is received as a foreign denominated cheque which they have to settle before administering internally.

They're the best at 'doing dividends' in my experience.

TD credit the dividends to the account on the due date but the money itself is not usually accessible for another day in my experience.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • tusk
    Options
    Hi,
    @ cloud dog
    Just noticed that you say you already have an account with iWeb; why wouldn't you just transfer your TD Direct to iWeb?
    Compensation limits, I don't want too much concentration. As far as the exit charges are concerned A.J.Bell was my second or third choice and I understand they will pay transfer fees, so I'll keep them up my sleeve for if I don't get on with X-O, although I don't see a problem. I actually like a basic account hence the iWeb account, I can always do research elsewhere.
    Thanks for the help
  • cloud_dog
    Options
    My investigations are slightly clouded by the thought of moving the OH SIPP also (away from HL), so I am looking at the fee's / costs holistically across dealing, ISA, and SIPP, although I am not wedded to the idea that the SIPP must live with the other accounts.

I had started to look at X-O for the OH TD Direct account and utilising their SIPP also. If you hold a dealing account with X-O they will refund the annual SIPP fee (£120???). And, as I am comfortable holding shares / ETFs / ITs it was a serious consideration.

Only downside I have encountered with X-O SIPP is that they have changed their SIPP charging structure a number of times in a short period so that has put me off.

In a similar vein as yourself re iWeb, I may choose to place the OH dealing account with someone other than X-O (words 'eggs' 'basket').

• tusk
    Options
    Finally received a reply from ii may have to rethink transfer in light of the fact all current TD investments will be incorporated into ii accounts.I am afraid we cannot confirm if these holdings will be available on our platform when TD Direct Investing and Interactive Investor finally merge, however do believe that as they are available at present via TD Direct that this should not be an issue. We plan to merge all accounts and expand our platform, to cover what TD Direct covers at the moment, some time later this year, however cannot clarify as to when this will actually take place. Please understand that it is still very early days into this deal, and we do not have a lot of information to provide on the tradability of the platform or the pricing structure, for example. I have included a link below to our FAQ page, which should provide you further information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure