PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread

Options

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mhagster wrote: »
    sorry if this has already been asked and answered. I don't have time at the moment to scroll through all the pages.

Se if you click "search this thread" at the top, it saves you from having to read the whole thing :)

There is a whole thread too if that helps - freezing sprouts , so you can see some different opinions
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    I have some leftover baby sprouts which need to go into the freezer - do I need to blanche them first?
  • zippychick
    Options
    Differing opinions on that Catt. If you see my post above yours there is a link to a frezing sprouts thread

• Kildare
    Kildare Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know how long beef mince keeps in the freezer. I split a raw pack into portions and froze it about a month ago and I thought 1 month might be its limit?
    Also, not sure what happened but I froze some Sainsburys fresh beef burgers about 3 weeks ago. When I defrosted them a couple of days ago they had gone all brown and dried out. I froze them in the original packaging and defrosted in the fridge. Any ideas as to what might have gone wrong??
  • zippychick
    Options
    Kildare, i would say your mince would be absolutely fine! i would certainly use it (I will see if I can find food standard agency info)

Burgers - dunno. Could it have been freezer burn? As far as I know that happens when there is air in the packaging - but that's purely guess work, not from experience.

• Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    Kildare wrote: »
    .......Also, not sure what happened but I froze some Sainsburys fresh beef burgers about 3 weeks ago. When I defrosted them a couple of days ago they had gone all brown and dried out. I froze them in the original packaging and defrosted in the fridge. Any ideas as to what might have gone wrong??

If it's freezer burn, it doesn't necessarily mean that they're totally inedible. It might just be that they are not quite as good as they could be.

Try cooking them and check them :).
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Kildare - in cases where meat has been affected by freezer burn, the product can be a little dried out so you may get a better result if you reconstitute them by serving them in a different way, i.e. breaking up the meat, frying with some onions and veg and serving in a tasty gravy, or as a cottage pie type meal. That way you re-infuse the meat with some moisture and get a more satisfactory result. Freezer burnt stuff is still edible but looks very unappetising, so it's best disguised, then nobody is the wiser.
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »
    Differing opinions on that Catt. If you see my post above yours there is a link to a frezing sprouts thread

Thanks & sorry - I really should open my eyes!
  • ppolly
    ppolly Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Sausage rolls -I have sausagemeat defrosting at the moment. Can I make the sausage rolls, cook them and then freeze them? If so how do I best defrost them for eating?

Mince pies -can I cook mince pies and freeze those too? How do I best defrost them? - I'm trying, rather ignorantly to prepare in advance! (they are all for Boxing Day)
    thanks
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have scotch eggs in the freezer at the moment (the small bitesized ones). I bought them for xmas eve together with cocktail sausages and sausage rolls. BOth said suitable for freezing.

My question is: when i defrost them can i just serve them cold or do i need to re-heat?....i'm never sure on this as it never says this on the packets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure