World Book Day Costume Ideas

Options
OMG it's world book day and the kids have to dress up for a prize at school.

They don't necessarily have to win it's the costume that is the problem - what to do?

My boys have no idea what their favorite book is.

I thought it would be easier thinking of a costume we could actually manage and then match it to a good book. Oh no it's just not happening.

So far I thought pirate could be easy or Gorilla onesie, or just onesie but no it's still not happening.

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Assuming you are not expected to spend a lot (it's primary school, right?) - use carboard to make a pointy hat, paint it, paint and/or stick stars all over it; cut neck and armholes in a black dustbin bag. Now go look for a book about a wizard.
  • lindsaygalaxy
    Options
    Last year daughter went as the granny from the David Walliams book. This year she is going as Mary Poppins. I tried to convince the youngest to go as Olaf as he has the onesie but no such luck - he wants to go as Harry Potter. Other good ones last year was the ticket from Charlie and the Chocolate factory, The Hungry Caterpillar and Wally from Where's Wally/
    £2 Savers club £0/£150
    1p a day £/
  • thecoffeehouse204
    Options
    I was searching for inspiration the other day and came across this page that had loads of ideas.

http://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/gallery/2015/feb/16/what-to-wear-on-world-book-day-2015
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Have you any dressing up clothes? Use one ,any and there will be a book about it I' m sure.my lad went as a pirate he could have been Blackbeard Jack Sparrow Captain Pugwash my point is children like to dress up you pick the theme or in this case book later.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • Kaye1
    Kaye1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    Mine went as a mouse- grey leggings, grey top, drawn on whiskers and felt ears glued to a head band. I know this may not be 'boy friendly,' but you could do the same for a rat/cat perhaps?
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do they have any animal onesies? That would be my failsafe!
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just popping it here as it might help someone - Aldi had World Book Day dressing up costumes in the other week (still had some this weekend just gone at my mum's local) - things like Red Riding Hood and doctors and the like - much cheaper than in the other supermarkets. Oh yeah and mermaids - quite how I forgot the fact that my eldest insisted on dressing up as one, with builder's goggles from her toy toolbox for swimming goggles for the entire weekend is beyond me!

Where's Wally is always an easy one - striped jumper, jeans, rucksack, bobble hat, glasses drawn on with eyeliner or whatever - that used to be one of my standby ones when I was teaching and had to think of something for it.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • bloggymum
    Options
    When my son was in primary he went as tin man from the Wizard of Oz....we got the dryer hosing from B&Q for his arms and a funnel for his head, cardboard box body, sprayed everything silver and got silver snazaroo face paint. We had so much fun making it, but then again I'm a crafty geek! Other years when we haven't been so organised we have thrown stuff together or just used whatever they had in the dressing up box!
    I've got a little black book with my poems in...
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco and Smyths toys have some wonderful dress up costumes but they are all age 7 and under.

I am hoping my boys will go as Thing1 and Thing2 from The Cat in the Hat because I have bought two red pyjamas onesies in 100% Cotton.

Boys always need pyjamas and it will then double/triple up as something red worn for Red Nose Day.

I have also Googled World Book Day in images which gave me the ideas.

Hope this helps someone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport