Purple or Blue Debit card with Natwest Select A/C ?

Comments

• cap102x
    cap102x Posts: 14 Forumite
    stclair wrote: »
    There would be no harm in using both accounts providing you use them within the terms do not go over drawn etc.

I'm not sure of your circumstances however you could use one account for everyday spends and the other for bills if you would still like to keep the select silver benefits.

If you have a purple debit card on your select account you can request a contactless debit card. However they are only available at the moment if you have a purple debit card.

http://www.natwest.com/microsites/personal/contactless/index.html

Thanks for getting back so soon.

So there's no point in trying to upgrade the Select Account then? I'm slightly worried that attempting to upgrade it would convert it back to a basic acc. All I want is just one acc if you see what I mean. :D
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    cap102x wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back so soon.

So there's no point in trying to upgrade the Select Account then? I'm slightly worried that attempting to upgrade it would convert it back to a basic acc. All I want is just one acc if you see what I mean. :D

I would just keep the accounts as they are for now. It wont make any difference if you have two accounts open.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    My question is this: do I need to run both accs for a while? I want the mobile phone insurance that comes with the old select silver basic acc but I want to utilise the new select acc? Is it possible to upgrade the new select acc to silver and keep the credit scored status? Would the bank penalise me for having 2 silver accs?

2 silver accounts woul charge you 2 x £8 a month = £16 a month.

I would be inclined to keep the old silver just for the benefits and use your new account as your main account. Then you are really operating just one account and the only thing to remember is to transfer £8 a month in time for the fee.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • stclair
    silvercar wrote: »
    2 silver accounts woul charge you 2 x £8 a month = £16 a month.

I would be inclined to keep the old silver just for the benefits and use your new account as your main account. Then you are really operating just one account and the only thing to remember is to transfer £8 a month in time for the fee.

I get the impression they have two accounts
    • Select Silver £8.00
    • Select - Free
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    stclair wrote: »
    I would keep your Barclays debit card if it works on trains have you tried your blue RBS card on the train yet?

not as yet - my account is very new and I've just had my wages paid into Barclays. I might try putting some money into my RBS a/c and giving the card a go on the train.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • I applied for the advantage gold a week back recieved my card this morning and it was blue. in the liturature that comes with the card it says if you have a card that starts with 4751 27 or 4751 28 you will only be able to use the card with a retailer or supplier of services where they can authrorise the transaction, at the time of the transaction being made. ie you cant use it on aircraft / trains and petrol pumps ect. I rang them and they said that they had to see some account activity before issuing a differnt card (the purple one) about 3 months worth. I then rang there lending department and explianed i wanted the full access Visa Debt card because of the job i do, the manager passed me back to customer services which then issued the card for me...no questions and no credit check !! should come in the next 3-5 working days:j
  • stclair
    seanofix wrote: »
    I applied for the advantage gold a week back recieved my card this morning and it was blue. in the liturature that comes with the card it says if you have a card that starts with 4751 27 or 4751 28 you will only be able to use the card with a retailer or supplier of services where they can authrorise the transaction, at the time of the transaction being made. ie you cant use it on aircraft / trains and petrol pumps ect. I rang them and they said that they had to see some account activity before issuing a differnt card (the purple one) about 3 months worth. I then rang there lending department and explianed i wanted the full access Visa Debt card because of the job i do, the manager passed me back to customer services which then issued the card for me...no questions and no credit check !! should come in the next 3-5 working days:j

Let's see what's turns up as 99.999999 staff don't even know how to order a service card lol
  • MoneySaverLog
    MoneySaverLog Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    I asked for a contactless card on my NatWest account. It took them 3 attempts, kept getting the purple non contactless one, before they realised they had to specially order one using some form.
  • JDC14
    JDC14 Posts: 436 Forumite
    Just to add to all this again.

I'm going back to Natwest and when they sent out cards a few months ago, I received a Purple Debit Card (4751 30...)

If I upgrade my account; 'Current Plus', to 'Select Silver' how do I know I'm going to get the credit one?
  • MoneySaverLog
    MoneySaverLog Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    If it's purple then it's already offline. NatWest are the only bank I'm aware of that code their cards according to colour. Blue online and Purple offline.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure