PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Iron-on hemming tape for shortening curtains?

Comments

• bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Has anyone ever used this:

http://www.shop4curtains.me.uk/100mts-iron-on-hemming-tapewonderwebno-sewing-35-p.asp

or anything like it? Any comments?

Yes, I have used it in the past. Need to make sure it doesn't wrinkle when you iron it on.

My experience has been it doesn't look quite as neat as sewing, but that depends on your sewing skills. If it was my DD doing the sewing no more nails would be better.LOL.

I also found it didn't stay that well for washing, although with curtains you are hardly going to be washing them three times a week are you?. Like a lot of things it depends on what you want, is it as good as sewing..no. Is it fast, a load less effort and do a reasonable job, yes.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've used similar for trouser hems... but agree its not as neat as sewing especially if you don't get the material completely flat before ironing..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • I have used iron on tape before (though not sure what brand it was). It worked well but like the previous poster mentions it is not good for anything that gets washed multiple times. But, it defintely will work for curtains that are only washed 3-4 times per year and is way cheaper than buying premade curtain panels!
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've used regular iron-on hemming tape you use for clothes, for curtains - take your time, measure it carefully, and pin in the same way as you would do for sewing to keep it in place till you get there; make sure you've got a nice, flat smooth base underneath on the ironing board, and for me the results were great. Far neater than if I'd sewn it (I don't have a machine, and hand sewing seems to be more noticeable, no matter how hard you try), and although it took me about an hour, that was far less time than sewing would have taken me. I wish I'd done it years ago, for all the curtains in the house!
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Can anyone recommend a double sided (non-iron) tape I can use for hemming curtains please?
  • ouraggie
    ouraggie Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I always shorten curtains from the top end. Just unpick the header tape, cut off the amount by which they are too long, then reattach the header tape! Simples.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    ouraggie wrote: »
    I always shorten curtains from the top end. Just unpick the header tape, cut off the amount by which they are too long, then reattach the header tape! Simples.

But that would involve sewing which is what I'm trying to avoid doing by using the hemming tape :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure