PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hobby/craft suggestions

Hello
I wasn't sure where to post this, so hopefully here is ok.
I hope you don't mind me asking, but I have no clue about crafting or sewing etc.
I have a family member who is starting to have problems with her memory (long story) and seems to be struggling to find things to occupy herself as her current situation is quite confining (another long story). Her doctor has recommended among other things hobbies to challenge the grey cells and provide a pleasant passtime etc.

She has always been fond of sewing and has done a number of projects in the past, buying material oddments from charity shops and making them into tea towels, handkerchiefs etc. This has got a bit boring so she has stopped this.

I'm wondering if someone could kindly recommend something she might like that I could send her (she lives abroad). Something akin to her previous type of thing she has enjoyed but perhaps different to stimulate her interest again and to give her something pleasurable to do that will employ the grey cells at the same time. Perhaps something that might make suitable small gifts for others? I would imagine it should not be terribly complicated, but something I can buy online as a kit (so nothing additonal needs buying).

I had wondered about an embroidery kit or something but I have no idea what would suit (e.g. be a project but be simple enough not to frustrate but be interesting enough and a nice outcome).

I know it is a difficult question but would appreciate any suggestions I might look into.

Thank you

Comments

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    How about cross-stitch? These can be bought online as kits or you might even be able to find some in charity shops. They come in different levels of difficulty, from beginner upwards; they're light so postage abroad would be minimal; they can be used as gifts e.g. greetings cards, book-markers, framed as pictures etc.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    What a lovely thought :)

I would suggest a cross stitch kit, when I was pregnant with my eldest, during the last few weeks, I had to lay up a fair bit and bought a cross stitch set which had the pattern was printed, and all the needles etc were enclosed, as a first timer, it was very relaxing.

Edit : Yorkslass - SNAP ;)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Knitting can be good because you can create patterns/shapes in the things being knitted, for variation - or you can make small exciting items - or you can just knit squares for charities or build your own blanket over time (I figure 10 years the speed I knit at).

But - knitting's got a benefit that other needle-based crafts doesn't - you don't have to look at what you're doing if you don't want to. Growing up my mum knitted all our clothes - and she could knit away while watching telly, or having a conversation ...

You can also knit anywhere, nothing "small and fiddly" to transport/drop/find.

It's very versatile really .... easy to knit at the Doctors, or on the way somewhere ... or just because you can knit anywhere. No special lighting needed either, nor good eyesight. You can knit in the dark if it's just a scarf!
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Loom knitting is also a good idea, and there are plenty of free patterns and easy instructions on the web and videos on youtube.
    Have a look on somewhere like Amazon for loom knitting kits.
  • YorksLass
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    What a lovely thought :)

I would suggest a cross stitch kit, when I was pregnant with my eldest, during the last few weeks, I had to lay up a fair bit and bought a cross stitch set which had the pattern was printed, and all the needles etc were enclosed, as a first timer, it was very relaxing.

Edit : Yorkslass - SNAP ;)

Obviously we're thinking on the same lines! :rotfl: I have a couple of cross-stitch Xmas tree decs that I did many years ago and they still get used every year. From memory, I think the kits cost about 50p each including the printed canvas, silks and frames; I bet they'd cost more than that now!
    But - knitting's got a benefit that other needle-based crafts doesn't - you don't have to look at what you're doing if you don't want to. Growing up my mum knitted all our clothes - and she could knit away while watching telly, or having a conversation ...

You can knit in the dark if it's just a scarf!

DH doesn't "get" how I can knit and watch TV at the same time. But I don't let on it's only with fairly simple patterns. ;)

A couple of other suggestions: Crochet? Or art therapy colouring books (colouring-in for grown ups :) ); these could be made into greetings cards, framed etc as gifts and you can get them in most supermarkets, even £ shops I think?
  • Grouchy
    Grouchy Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you for all the suggestions.

I think the knitting and the loom knitting is perhaps too ambitious at present, also she has never been into knitting, also it would be rather bulky to supply etc.

I think the cross stitch idea sounds a good one as she is familiar with sewing and if I recollect properly has done the Home Sweet Home type sampler many years ago. So it will not be a new thing to learn completely. Her self confidence has been terribly knocked by the memory loss so I think something simple yet satisfying is probably the best.

I have looked at the cross stitch possibilities and tried to get to grips with the lingo involved and have come up with these as possibilities, what do you experts think as to straightforwardness with a bit of application?

https://www.amazon.com/Bucilla-Counted-Bookmark-45709-Inspired/dp/B0094E0B7U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492616019&sr=8-2&keywords=cross+stitch+kit+bookmark - but this has some bad reviews indicating complicatedness, so unsure of this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Value-Cross-Stitch-Beginners/dp/B01EULDKXS/ref=sr_1_25?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1492616573&sr=1-25&keywords=cross+stitch+kit+cat - she likes cats, and this one says it has a pre-printed fabric, so a good choice?

Many of the things I looked at seemed quite complicated or dense if you see what I mean.

I'd appreciate any pointers as to possible suitability. I'm looking on A .com as it is the easy way to send them to her in the US.

Thanks again.
  • YorksLass
    Grouchy – Of the two that you’ve given links for, I think the second one (the cute cat) would be the better of the two for your family member but, as you mention memory loss, I’m wondering if even this might be a little complicated for her? I’d be tempted to go for something simpler (such as the sampler-type you say she may have done in the past) as a starter just to see how she gets on with it.

These are the things I’d be looking for in a kit (preferably a stamped one):

Fabric:
    Aida is best for beginners as it has regular woven blocks and obvious holes. 14-count is the most commonly used.

Threads:
    Stranded cotton with DMC, Anchor and Madeira are the three main brands. They’re all smooth, easy to work with and colourfast.
    Are the threads ready sorted or are they all in one big bunch? If the latter, they will need to be separated into the different colours before using (and I know from experience this can be a really fiddly job :( ).
    Too many colours can be tiring on the eyes (e.g. several shades of blue that are very similar but hard to tell apart).

Needles:
    A tapestry needle that has a blunt tip and larger eye than a regular sewing needle. For 14-count Aida it’s usually a size 24.

Stitches:
    Does the design use only whole stitches (these are much easier), with maybe just a little back-stitch? Fractional stitches, half stitches and French knots are more suited to experienced stitchers.

Design:
    Is it stamped onto the fabric (preferably in the same colours as the threads)? This is much easier to follow than a chart and having to count blocks in the fabric.

Does the kit include a hoop that can be used to hold the fabric in the stitching process (it helps to keep the fabric at the correct tension and thereby makes the stitching easier)? If so, it can also be used for framing and hanging the finished item.

Hope this helps. :)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I endorse every word that YorksLass has said.

I do a lot of cross stitch, and for me to bother, the subject matter has to interest me, so persevering with finding something relatively simple depicting cats (as that is something your relative likes) would likely pay dividends.:o

I'm afraid my walls are adorned with Celtic imagery, Native American imagery, wolves and dragons.... but that's another story... :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Grouchy
    Grouchy Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks Yorkslass and LameWolf that is very helpful. Thanks YorksLass for going to so much trouble, but it is very much appreciated. I now know a little better what to look for. I think you are right in thinking both of the ones I originally linked to are perhaps a bit complicated. The easier the better to begin with I think to build confidence, even too easy would be better than thinking it intimidating. So thanks for that insight. Yes I think the subject is important too LameWolf, though simple cat ones are hard to find, but she loves flowers also.

Having looked through your guide on what things mean, I have come up with some other options, hopefully more suitable. What do you think of the following?

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Value-Cross-Stitch-Beginners/dp/B01ERF1M2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492626608&sr=8-1&keywords=cross+stitch+kit+beginner+flower - The seems to meet a lot of the criteria YorksLass mentioned, though not all, but if suitable, there are other similar ones I could look at to include. Still too complicated?

These are even simpler, though lack the printed fabric

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cross-stitch-Bookmark-Floral-Design/dp/B00YN58A7I/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1492627094&sr=8-6&keywords=cross+stitch+flower+kit+bookmark

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flowers-count-cross-stitch-bookmark/dp/B00V0GLM4G/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1492627450&sr=8-15&keywords=cross+stitch+flower+kit+bookmark - this says suitable for children, so I would order this sent to me to ensure it doesn't indicate for children on the packaging (could offend, if you see what I mean).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vervaco-Cross-Stitch-Cushion-Multi-Colour/dp/B0063G0CB2/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1492627699&sr=8-32&keywords=cross+stitch+flower+kit+cat - a bit of a wildcard I just happened to see ....

It is all trying to find the right balance and I appreciate all your input.

Can you give an opinion on the above ones?

Again thanks kindly.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    YorksLass wrote: »
    Or art therapy colouring books (colouring-in for grown ups :) )
    I was thinking the same. They've come down in price now: I saw them in Poundland, and Lidl for 99p this afternoon.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure