Faulty watch help, please.

sparkiemalarkie
sparkiemalarkie Posts: 892 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 9 October 2016 at 11:05PM in Consumer rights
Hi, I bought my son a watch from Lord Timepieces as a 21st Birthday present.

On the first evening he wore it, the metal strap broke off from the body of the watch.
I contacted the company and returned the watch for a replacement.

The replacement arrived and it turned out to be a used watch with a smashed back! Clearly there had been some mistake.
The company sent out a 3rd watch which arrived on Friday... and that one doesn't work!

My son paid to have both the first and the third watch straps made smaller by a local Jeweller and I paid £5+ to return the first broken watch.
Already we are £25+ down with no working watch.

Can anyone suggest a suitable solution to this problem please?

sparkie

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi, I bought my son a watch from Lord Timepieces as a 21st Birthday present.

On the first evening he wore it, the metal strap broke off from the body of the watch.
    I contacted the company and returned the watch for a replacement.

The replacement arrived and it turned out to be a used watch with a smashed back! Clearly there had been some mistake.
    The company sent out a 3rd watch which arrived on Friday... and that one doesn't work!

My son paid to have both the first and the third watch straps made smaller by a local Jeweller and I paid £5+ to return the first broken watch.
    Already we are £25+ down with no working watch.

Can anyone suggest a suitable solution to this problem please?

sparkie
    Send it back for a full refund.

You've given no dates, but can we assume the purchase was made less than a year ago?

The Consumer Rights Act allows the seller one attempt at a repair. They have missed this target so a refund should be forthcoming.
    Without dates it is not possible to say whether that refund should be a full or partial refund.

How did you pay for this purchase?
  • My son paid to have both the first and the third watch straps made smaller by a local Jeweller and I paid £5+ to return the first broken watch.
    Is it possible that the adjustment on the original watch strap could have caused it to break where it did?
    If a metal link was removed and the spring pin was incorrectly fitted, it may have weakened the pin and caused it to fail.
  • sparkiemalarkie
    sparkiemalarkie Posts: 892 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 October 2016 at 10:10AM
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Send it back for a full refund.

You've given no dates, but can we assume the purchase was made less than a year ago?

The Consumer Rights Act allows the seller one attempt at a repair. They have missed this target so a refund should be forthcoming.
    Without dates it is not possible to say whether that refund should be a full or partial refund.

How did you pay for this purchase?

The first watch was bought /ordered 9th August for a gift presented on 22nd August.

The strap adjustment was taken from near the clasp/ buckle , the strap broke off the body of the watch.

Even with a full refund we are £25+ out of pocket. Is there any way of addressing this ?

Paid with Paypal

sparkie
  • If the 3rd watch arrived only this Friday, and didn't work, why go to the bother of adjusting the strap on it?

Personally, I wouldn't wear a watch with a metal bracelet - they're a bu99er to get to fit properly.
  • If the 3rd watch arrived only this Friday, and didn't work, why go to the bother of adjusting the strap on it?

Personally, I wouldn't wear a watch with a metal bracelet - they're a bu99er to get to fit properly.

Naturally, my son wasn't aware that it didn't work before getting it adjusted. He trusted that it had been checked before being dispatched.
    I trusted that it would be in working condition......
    When you buy something you expect it to be fit for purpose.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    So much did you pay for this watch??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker

They're a piece of cake if the person doing the adjusting knows what they're doing. The biggest mistake most make is taking equal amounts out from both sides - with most clasps doing that makes them sit wrong (usually too far towards the 12)

OP, depending on the watch (not many current ones have "properly" integral bracelets) the original fault is likely to have been a simple 50p spring bar. It could quite easily have been either strained or removed and then not refitted properly during the sizing. Sadly, that doesn't help you much at the point you're at.

Assuming it's a quartz watch it's worth getting somewhere TRUSTWORTHY to check it's not just the battery. done right the seller won't even know it's been opened if it does need to go back again.

The cell is usually fitted by the movement maker, the movement goes into stock until it's bought by the watch company, who fit it and put the watch into stock until it's bought by the retailer, then it sits in stock until you get it. It's quite easy to use up the life of a battery by that time!
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2016 at 6:45PM
    Is it me? I cannot find a UK (or any) address on their website. I cannot see a VAT number (assuming they are a decent sized company) or any company info.

I mean, really?
    In the very unlikely occurrence that you are unsatisfied with your Lord Timepiece there are damages, or you just inherited £50,000 and want a Rolex instead; we offer a 30-day unconditional money back guarantee.
    If your timepiece was damaged in the shipping process please send us a few pictures of the damages within 3 days of receiving to hello@lordtimepieces.com – we will be in touch and arrange another to be shipped.

Before returning items to us, please read and follow the instructions below. Please make sure that you understand our return policy and ensure that all criteria are met before physically sending any items back to us.

Color? No, colour.
    3. Color Errors: If the color of the item received is not what was ordered, you are eligible for a full refund. (This does not apply if the color difference is caused by your display monitor.)

Oh.
    1. Quality Issues:

We will be responsible for an exchange or refund if there are any product quality problems within 30 days of the Customers receiving the item. Customers may need to send the product back to us, and after confirming that the product has not been damaged on purpose, we will exchange the product or offer a refund.

2. Non Quality Issues:

For all products, if a customer returns a product, within 7 days after receiving it, for non quality reasons, we will offer a refund of 85% of the original product price. (15% is for the shipping fee which cannot be returned)

OP, have a read of their twitter.

Send the watch back and ask for a full refund.

To add, you don't have any redress with Paypal now other than a chargeback - IF - you can persuade your card provider to allow one.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    And to add to the above post:
    SECTION 18 - GOVERNING LAW

These Terms of Service and any separate agreements whereby we provide you Services shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of 71 Westbourne Road Huddersfield GB HD1 4LG.

I'm not familiar with the laws of 71 Westbourne Road :rotfl:
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Is this yet another Chinese scam site?

Why would anyone buy from a website with no contact details on other than an email

Sorry doesn't help you OP but what did make you buy from them
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport