Who Does/Does Not Accept Amex?

Comments

• Somerled
    Somerled Posts: 348 Forumite
    As a small trader it was quite easy to have them add Amex cards to our streamline terminal - thought it would benefit international customers esp. Americans. In this day and age receiving any type of payment I thought would be a must
    Veteran Bargain Hunter -
    Best ever bargain: Rugby shirts (seconds) @ 20p
  • lamb7994
    lamb7994 Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    All Boots Stores and online does accept American Express.

James
  • I am a small retailer with a baclaycard merchant services machine I pay 28p per debit card transaction but credit card transactions cost a whopping 3% in general thats £3 in every hundred pound the machine takes so a pc system average £500 costs me £15 just to sell it so if I was to use an Amex card it would cost me 4.9% thats an extra £9.50 on top of the £15.00.

From a straw poll the customers think the machine and using it is free unfortunatly it is not, on top of the charges there is £15 per month rental on the machine. I personally do not know how the cc companies can get away with charging you extortionet amount to borrow the money then have the audacity to charge me for making them more money by increasing your balance !!!!!!!!
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Reported as spam
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • mintymoneysaver
    mintymoneysaver Posts: 3,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I've just applied for an amex card through quidco for the £30 cashback and nectar points but obviously I'm going to have to keep another card too from reading all this!
  • pigeonpie
    pigeonpie Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    a resounding NO from Ryanair
  • meryvn
    meryvn Posts: 6 Forumite
    Boots do accept AMEX, or the certainly did in Aberdeen yesterday.
  • From a moneysaving point of view, I'm quite happy for shops I use to not accept AMEX, that way they don't bump up their prices to cover the transaction charges. The company I work for (high-end catering & food retail) doesn't accept AMEX on the grounds that as it doesn't want to absorb the cost itself, it would have to pass it on to the customers, making no-one happy.

Presumably other retailers must see it the same way.

m x
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I got fed up with either being refused or asked politely not to use it which I found embarrassing especially if it was a local retailer that I knew.
    In the end I cancelled my card.
    I much prefer having one bill to manager rather than several.
  • Anyone having problems using AMEX with Pin and Chip on Iceland?

I can never use my AMEX (which has pin and chip) at Iceland. They still accept it but tey need to swipe it through and I need to sign everytime.

Anyone else having this problem?

Paulocd
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family