PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Afternoon everyone, just popped in to update signature.

Broke into our budget yesterday and spent £38.47 in Mr T,
    Managed to get a few things reduced (which have now been put in the freezer) that will be used later in the month.

Mr T still has tesco pure milk 2x 2 litre for £2.60 if anyone interested,
    The hovis 3 for £3 still on offer.
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • msgnomey
    msgnomey Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Put me down for £250 for Feb please, trying to spend less that last month, but last month was loooong as I got paid early for Christmas so trying hard!!:j :j :j :j
    Go hopefully into each new day, enjoy something from every day no matter how small, you never know when it will be your last
  • elly2
    elly2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NSD here today :) was tempted to go to the shops for some sea salt as i dropped all mine yesterday (faulty grinder) but knew i wouldnt be able to just buy salt so gave it a miss, i have a huge lump of gammon cooking in the slow cooker which should have been for tea today but couldnt be bothered to cook anything to go with it so will have it tomorrow with pots and veg (any ideas on what else i can do with it , it's a really big joint) so the kids had beans on toast or scrambled egg on toast today.
  • nickynoo08
    nickynoo08 Posts: 1,860 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nickynoo - I keep looking at the website, and now having gotten over my fear of sell by dates (!) I am finding there's actually nothing much I would order as a lot of it is junk stuff and we just don't eat it :( Wish they would put more healthy things on![/quote]

I know what you mean. All of the stuff i have bought is all still in date with a way to go yet. I do wish they did more healthy stuff too, have say there's more healthy stuff than there was last time i looked - ryvita bars, rice, cous cous etc...
    £387.39/£196.46
    Pay my debt by End of Feb 2022
    49.28% paid!

£199.55/£500 savings by End of April 2022
    39.91% saved!

Make £2022 in 2022 - £20
  • Coolmum66
    Coolmum66 Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi All

Picked a few bits up today - spend so far £26.25. Having gone over budget last month I am DETERMINED to do better this month!

Planning on batch cooking lasagne and cakes over this weekend.

Take care all - especially if out in the snow

Coolmum. xx
    Debt at 2nd LBM (!) Jun 08 £8,435 - hm, let's not go there!!
    DFW Nerd - 721 / DFW Long Hauler 4 / DFD - ASAP!!
    Sealed pot challenge - member 336 - £200 target
  • Well just ventured to Mr t and spent £35 which means i ve enough stuff till payday 13th and have spent £125 of budget so am pleased. I got soo much reduced fruit and veg children just tuckking into 3 packs of 4p strawberries,and i also got 2p brocoli heads, 2p avacado pears, 2p cabbage and leek packs and 4p pear pack - how do i freeze veg? Do i blanch first and then freeze?? Strawberries (i got 8 packs at 4p each ) will be gone by the morning kids think its such a treat!!!

Also noticed value chocolate is back at 25p a bar - great for cooking

So am now fully stocked if we have a snowy weekend

Take care all
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    cw18 wrote: »
    Oh it does -- it's just his total lack of consideration over letting me know he's coming back that gets me riled !!

I think it must just be a boy thing. My DS2(28) often pops home for an extended visit -sometimes with his girlfriend in tow. If I'm lucky I might get a few days warning -or maybe just a 2 hour warning:eek: This of course does mean, I have to jig with the grocery budget a bit. I think they like to give us the 'surprise' element' because they know we love them so much. Just tell him he'll have to make do with whatever you have in -I'm sure he won't mind at all and if you're anything like me -you miss him the minute he walks back out of the door. Plus -he may even offer to help you out with your blitzicon7.gif I'm sure you will enjoy his time at home.

NSD for me today -3 in a row, because of lots of snow, so no going out. We finished up the HM Onion Soup with some crusty bread and I made Salmon Fishcakes.

Have a good evening everyone.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    inamess200 wrote: »
    how do i freeze veg?
    So far I've frozen
    onions and mushrooms - chop, tray freeze, bag
    carrots, brocolli, cauliflower - prep as normal (chop etc.), blanch, cool, tray freeze, bag

I have taken to dicing the carrots rather than slicing though. DS isn't keen on 'boiled' carrots (I steam from fresh), so by dicing them I just throw them in a pan with frozen peas and sweetcorn - and he eats them that way
    elizabunny wrote: »
    Plus -he may even offer to help you out with your blitzicon7.gif
    :rotfl: I'll be lucky to "see" him. He normally sleeps away half the day, then stays out until the 'wee small hours' with friends! And he's bringing his car home for the first time, so will be out showing it off to all his friends..... I can just imagine the response if I ask him to do a tip run in it for me :p
    Cheryl
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    cw18 wrote: »
    Oh it does -- it's just his total lack of consideration over letting me know he's coming back that gets me riled !!

Ah right, sorry, I really wasn't meaning anything by it. I can understand it must be frustrating if you only find out he is coming a week before he turns up.....
    My brother lives a long distance away, and I remember him phoning up one time, I just happened to be at my mums house visiting...he said, 'put the kettle on' and hung up, less than 2mins later knocked at the door with bags in hand, he had come to visit for a week or so:rolleyes:

Well I have updated sig for spends and NSD's and seems I have roughly £36pw for top ups of milk/fruit/veg etc So I should be on track this month for target. Just for reference on the milk front, we got the delivery late Monday and have already gone through about 9pts of milk!!!!!

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • Please put me down for £300 for Feb

My Jan challenge was £400 for month for everything for myself, OH and 2 DS. We managed £386.00 for the month including takeaways and all food and toileteries. I am really please with how I did as I dont normally do a budget. I will need to get better at this as my husband will shortly go on short time so every penny counts:confused:

Love this site it is such a super help

Just dont know how to update signature yet
    2013 will be the year I go from frump to fab. With help from my friends.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure