PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Afternoon my lovelies :D
    Not much going on here at present having a laaazy day as its been a busy week.
    Has anyone got a nice pasta recipe that includes mushrooms and not a lot else???
    DS3 loves shrooms and wants to try pasta but as you know doesn't eat a lot else so any ideas would be great thanks muchly.

Need to get 'the beast' out tomorrow to do some dehydrating,building up a nice little store now of assorted goodies.

Baking a cake later using dried nectarines I did earlier in the year.I'm not a lover of stone fruit fresh but I'll eat it dried,especially if it's in cake :D
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    D&DD wrote: »
    Afternoon my lovelies :D
    Not much going on here at present having a laaazy day as its been a busy week.
    Has anyone got a nice pasta recipe that includes mushrooms and not a lot else???
    DS3 loves shrooms and wants to try pasta but as you know doesn't eat a lot else so any ideas would be great thanks muchly.
    Why not just just fry the 'shrooms in butter or olive oil and add flour and milk to make a sauce? If not veggie you could add a few bits of chopped bacon for interest plus/or some cooked peas. I think canneloni would go well with this.
  • skintsaver_2
    skintsaver_2 Posts: 543
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    well ive only just discovered this thread after me and OH have been talking about what would we do if something major happened. I look forward to learning from you all :)
    :TIf your happy and you know it clap your hands :T
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :) Hello and welcome, skintsaver.

BB, fingers crossed for your op and hoping you'll soon be firing on all cylinders again.

I've been having a weekend of mixed chores and reading, have my nose in James Kunstler's The Long Emergency, which is one of the best books about what will happen as we head past Peak Oil. It's edge-of-the-seat reading, even though it's a concept I'm well-familiar with through blogs like thearchdruidreport and 22billionenergyslaves among other readings both on and offline.

It's frightening to understand that our present population levels, both in this country and all over the world, are only sustained by oil. And that when the oil runs low so will our food supply, and all the other things we rely on.

I have pals who've studied environmental science at uni who assure me that every organism expands to the limit of its food supply and environment, until it is restrained by those limits and suffers massive die-back due to disease and starvation. And that this will include ourselves, and that there's nothing which can be done about it. I really wish that elephant in the room could be faced and considered before unimaginable suffering ensues.:(

Bedsit Bob, I read about that poor lady and her husband who ate the mushrooms and feel so sad for their family. Some of them are on this website http://www.mushroomdiary.co.uk/tag/uk-poisonous-mushrooms/

It's generally recommended that you don't harvest mushrooms in the wild unless you've had a course, carry a good ID book and are really really sure what you're doing. Several poisonous mushrooms are very close in appearance, at some of their stages, to the commonest edible ones.

There are other things which don't look like anthing else, such as the giant meadow puffball when fully-grown (white ball up to football sized), or the bracket fungi (think of little shelves sticking horizontally out of trees- one is called Chicken of the Woods) and there's large one whose name escapes me, which looks like a brain and grows under pines. They're OK to eat and you're not going to mistake them for anything else.

One of my lottie pals has been known to climb thru a fence and harvest common field mushrooms from the edge of a field. I've eaten them and am still around, but I would be very wary of fungi in general as even the hospital won't be able to save you if you ingest some of them.

Oh, and to add to the fun, they're popular with critters like woodlice, earwigs and slugs, so watch out for them, eh?

A trip to the chazzer turned up a pair of lightweight hiking boots in my size for only a few quid. I have ponced around the shop in them and examined them minutely inside and out and cannot see a fault. Will pnce around town in them before trusting them on a longer walk, but am very pleased thus far.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Pineapple I used to be a DOE raptor keeper along with my son, and we took in hawks and owls + any odd birds the neighbours handed in. The problem with hand rearing is that they lose their fear of man and they can't feed themselves. So when they get hungry they head for the nearest human - and that human panics like hell because they're "being attacked" by a crow/owl/whatever. But I raised baby owls and pigeons and a starling, enjoyed it a lot.
  • D&DD make garlic mushrooms and stir them into cooked pasta, it's yummy!!!!!
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    They're OK to eat and you're not going to mistake them for anything else.

Another one, you're not going to mistake for anything else, is the Beefsteak Mushroom.

Resembling a giant tongue, it's very easy to recognise.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Thanks peeps he loves garlic so will try frying in butter and garlic and adding as is first then progress to the sauce next.
    I have found a mushroom ravioli recipe in one of my books too but too much of a faff when the bodies are all home will try it during the week when I can concentrate!!

Pottering in the garden today clearing away the debris from the winds,my new pear was sent for a burton even though it was sheltered behind the greenhouse! Luckily no damage though.

Right being nagged for sitting lol catch you later have a great day all XX
  • Hillbilly1
    Hillbilly1 Posts: 620
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi all,

Lovely to read all your advice as usual. Welcome newbies. We're still in early stages here...

But have bought a wind up solar powered radio from @mazon. Its the Duronic one and is about £15. Its AMAZING!

Tiny, light weight, charges even on dull days. I'm ready for prepping but also enjoying the radio in the garden every day! Excellent reception too.

Prepping for the worst, but enjoying it too!
    NOT a NEWBIE!

Was Greenmoneysaver. . .
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,658
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I had the most extraordinary vivid dream last night, which actually made me think a bit about my preps in a different way.

DH and I had gone out leaving the DDs at home when there was an announcement that they had found a huge unexploded wartime bomb on a building site. We realised that this was right next to our house. The police told us that everyone would have been evacuated but knowing from when I have forgotten my keys that DD2 often doesn't hear the doorbell (bit suspicious about that meself, probably just CBA to come downstairs) we were worried.

So we tried phoning them on their mobiles but got the "You have reached the Tesco Mobile voicemail service" which means that their phones weren't charged - they both have smartphones which need charging constantly. The police said that we were on our own as far as getting to the evacuation centre was concerned and for a reason that was obvious in my dream (as it is) we could only get there if we hired a car but we didn't have our driving licences with us.

I was half waking up by this point and I remember thinking that I ought to put a very cheap basic mobile in the BOB with a bit of credit on a PAYG card and also some charging leads for mobiles. I think most phones these days use micro USB and one lead would charge any phone so that if we had to bug out we could phone to let people know we were safe.

I then woke up and was really surprised that it had been a dream because it had all seemed so sensible - usually when I have vivid dreams part of me knows they are only dreams. I think I might actually get a spare phone charging lead and keep it handy to grab in an emergency
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure