Stolen Galaxy S3

Options

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    gadgeteer wrote: »
    I just thought....if you can see his contacts, can you remotely update his contact numbers so that he ends up calling you? You can get his number that way then :)

I wouldn't mess too much with them, because at least currently the phone still has all of the software running. If too many dodgy things happen like this then he is more likely to factory reset the phone, which at the moment is the last thing that you want.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • united66
    united66 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Exactly, I'm leaving it with the police now, they have all the relevant information and seem to have quickly latched on to who he is and where he lives! Victor - it's theft which ever way you look at it - he has the ability to hand it in to the police. I tried to flag him down and he drove past me. Sorry but its theft - its crime. I've proven that phone is mine and thats that. What can he say in his defence - seriously!? He didn't think he'd get caught and he has... (almost!)
    Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers - make sure your hands are clean. Bob Marley - Legend.

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    united66 wrote: »
    Exactly, I'm leaving it with the police now, they have all the relevant information and seem to have quickly latched on to who he is and where he lives! Victor - it's theft which ever way you look at it - he has the ability to hand it in to the police. I tried to flag him down and he drove past me. Sorry but its theft - its crime. I've proven that phone is mine and thats that. What can he say in his defence - seriously!? He didn't think he'd get caught and he has... (almost!)

I agree he stole it, but just wondered how it would be seen in the eyes of the law. Your actual financial loss has probably just been the insurance excess, if there was any.
    I may be wrong, and he deserves what's coming, but I would be surprised if the police do much more than just put the frighteners on him and recover your phone. If it goes to court, he'll probably get legal aid, and little more than a slapped wrist.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem is that "if" the phone was blocked when it went missing, then it wouldn't work in this country but would in India or Pakistan etc.

It's likely the phone has been passed to someone in that country now and won't return
    It's not just about the money
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Silk wrote: »
    The problem is that "if" the phone was blocked when it went missing, then it wouldn't work in this country but would in India or Pakistan etc.

It's likely the phone has been passed to someone in that country now and won't return

I think they're actually still at the wedding since the photos are gradually uploading as they are taken
  • kaych
    kaych Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't have any advice or comments on how to catch the thief, I just want to say this is amazing! the power of technology and apps these days cannot be undermined. it is also a lesson learnt that if you are to steal from someone then make sure you know what you are doing.
    OP, please keep us updated if or when you hear from the police. :)
  • united66
    Options
    Yes they are but from 3rd november. It is set-up to only upload when there is a wi-fi connection. Thats how I left it set up anyway. We will see what happens.
    Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers - make sure your hands are clean. Bob Marley - Legend.

• united66
    Options
    Besides - can't you just get any phone unblocked nowadays? thought it was easy

• bobster999
    Options
    Rusty! wrote: »
    While you're in possession of the phone, install the 'proper' Lookout now:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout

cheers. getting viruses from apps was one thing i was worried about
  • bobster999
    Options
    united66 wrote: »
    Update from Newcastle police who I have been in contact with over last day or so (who have been amazingly quick may I add, considering it is a non emergency as such!!).

Thanks Ryan,

I hope to have him in custody shortly as long as my points of contact get back to me with their results.

PC 979 Ronnie Thompson
    Neighbourhood Beat Management Suite
    Eldon Square
    Newcastle Upon Tyne

great stuff! i would just leave it at that and dont go to the taxi office yourself or anything as tempting as doing something may be
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure