Tales from the city

Comments

• hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    January sounds like a great goal for getting rid of that card. :)

We bought Christmas gifts for BIL/SIL but I'm stumped on what to get teenaged niece/nephews. Cash probably. :rotfl:
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Glad the move went well :D what a pain about the new card but January seems like a good timescale to pay off the old one. Well done on starting Christmas shopping, if possible I like to have mine all done by start of December so that I can then relax and enjoy the festive season :beer:
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10549.64/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1409.88/£1500 (94% saved).
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    January sounds like a great goal for getting rid of that card. :)

We bought Christmas gifts for BIL/SIL but I'm stumped on what to get teenaged niece/nephews. Cash probably. :rotfl:

I think cash is a great pressie for teenagers. What they want can change so quickly from one week to the next so I like to give cash too, that way they can please themselves. Good plan, I'd say. :D
    misstara wrote: »
    Glad the move went well :D what a pain about the new card but January seems like a good timescale to pay off the old one. Well done on starting Christmas shopping, if possible I like to have mine all done by start of December so that I can then relax and enjoy the festive season :beer:

Yes the card situation is a bit annoying but I'll manage. And at least I have a plan, even if it does keep changing.

I'm so looking forward to my first Christmas in me and OH's new home. Can't wait! Relaxing and enjoying the season is not something I get to do very often, it's more like rushing around at the last minute spending on credit cards and getting stressed out. This year will be different. :D

Happy money saving everyone. :)
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The ppi cash finally arrived in my account. :j:j:j

Just in time to pay the final bills from my old flat. :mad::mad::mad:

Oh well, at least I'm able to pay the bills, it could be worse. I'm still waiting on my deposit, they have 10 days to get it to me before I start complaining.

Payday on Friday, it can't come quick enough.

Happy debt busting everyone. :)
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Yay for the PPI stuff! DH has sent off a letter to his bank to see about it - he doesn't think they mis-sold it as he understood its purpose but I'm hoping they skipped something on their checklist of things they should have asked/told him.
  • Great that you managed a move without any debt increase. You'll now be on the fast track to clearing it all.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Brilliant news that you can cover your final bills without worry - I know the money would be nicer in your pocket though...
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for the support everyone. :D

hiddenshadow...I totally agree its worth a try, I hope your OH gets something back, missold or not. :)

INOD...I think this is the first time in my life I have ever moved without accruing debt so I'm well pleased with that...turns out planning and preparing actually works, who knew? :D Not sure I'm fast tracking but I am trying, really hard.

crazy_cat_lady...I really wanted that cash to pay towards my CCs but I'm still guilty of spending any extra cash at least 3x over in my head, by the time it arrives and gets paid towards something I end up feeling a bit flat for all the things I couldn't do with it, which is a bit silly, I really am glad to have those bills paid so they're not hanging over me.

So, I took my winter boots to be soled and heeled yesterday, turns out they are completely trashed and beyond repair. :( I had budgeted £30 to get them fixed so went looking for a new pair. I can get a cheap pair for about £20, it may be a false economy but hopefully they'll last the winter and that'll do. So £10 up on the budget. :beer:

I have budgeted £50 for my dentist visit but have just checked and think it'll be less, around £42. Maybe I should make overpayments with these wee extra amounts that appear when I come in under budget?

I have another 2 Christmas presents in mind to pick up this weekend, and I'm putting away cash for another 3 this month, perishable so need to be bought nearer the time. That leaves 2 joint presents to organise, Christmas hampers with local stuff in, lots of lovely things to eat and drink around here, I'm hoping that putting it together myself will save some cash. That will come out of next month's budget then only OH's to organise and I'm done. :T

I'm disappointed to see that the best bank account transfer deals are ending soon. I know I'm not in a position to switch, but I was hoping to use these deals at some point. I went past a certain bank the other day and saw an ad saying '5% plus 5% plus 5%' and was amazed that I knew the very account it was talking about. Maybe I'd like a job in personal finance, think anyone would hire me with all this debt??

Anyway, I'm going to try and post every day as I'm not feeling very motivated at the moment and need to try and give myself a boost. It's all so slow, this debt paying. I think a focus on the daily decisions that help me would be a good thing.

Happy debt busting day everyone. :)
  • ani*fan
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 October 2015 at 5:59AM
    Just updated my signature, a few hundred quid knocked off so that's good. :j

I'm hoping that when I get my deposit refunded from my old flat that I'll actually be able to pay it off a CC and not pay a bill with it. Fingers crossed.
  • ani*fan wrote: »
    I have budgeted £50 for my dentist visit but have just checked and think it'll be less, around £42. Maybe I should make overpayments with these wee extra amounts that appear when I come in under budget?

That's what I do, but I get a lot of motivation from seeing the debt go down constantly (even by small amounts). With such a large amount to pay off, I think I'd lose motivation/interest if I couldn't consistently put something towards it.
    I'm disappointed to see that the best bank account transfer deals are ending soon. I know I'm not in a position to switch, but I was hoping to use these deals at some point. I went past a certain bank the other day and saw an ad saying '5% plus 5% plus 5%' and was amazed that I knew the very account it was talking about. Maybe I'd like a job in personal finance, think anyone would hire me with all this debt??

From reading blogs/articles from people in finance having/managing debt is actually an asset as you know how to budget/handle money (once you're paying it off and not accruing it!). :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure