How do you find HSBC's customer service / website/app for personal banking?

Options
im thinking of switching from my Natwest select account to a HSBC Advance account as i will get £200 CB + 5% savings account which beats my current natwest cash ISA which is something like 1% (but tax free) but i only have £10k in there so dont know if there will be much difference

i read their mobile app was poor, but how do you find there online platforms (website and mobile app) and their customer service?

is it bad enough to warrant the £200 incentive for switching?

also i have a cash-isa with natwest which i will also transfer to speed up transaction times between ISA and current account, as with natwest it transfers immediately between them

thanks

Comments

• MarkFromCornwall
    Options
    I hate their online banking website. I just find it visually confusing. It looks like the programmer wanted to show off all the clever stuff he or she could do, instead of just making things obvious and simple for the user.
  • walwyn1978
    Options
    I hate their online banking website. I just find it visually confusing. It looks like the programmer wanted to show off all the clever stuff he or she could do, instead of just making things obvious and simple for the user.

That. The app is okay in my experience for basic stuff like checking balances, moving money between different HSBC accounts and paying bills that you've already paid because and thus there's a record, (using an IPhone so other OS users may have different opinions) but the limitations of the app are annoying: you can't do 'new' instructions with it so if I want to (say) pay the chimney sweep I have to use the phone or rubbish website to do it before I can use the app in future. You can't cancel or suspend DD's or SO's on it as far as I've been able to work out. Finally for me although it's easy to use the app does crash every few months, usually when an update is due.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Me too. I don't like the online banking website but I'll put up with it for the switching bribe and the regular saver.

I wouldn't want to use it as my main/only account.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't use the app so cannot comment, but I find the website unpleasant to use. And my experience of their customer services staff is not positive.

However, you need to ask two different questions:-
    a) Should I do a switch to HSBC to take advantage of the £200 incentive
    b) Should I switch my main current account and ISA to HSBC

The answer to a) is yes, go for it.

The answer to b) is more complicated and you'll get different answers from each person you ask. Personally I wouldn't use HSBC for my main current account, and I would only move my ISA if HSBC paid a higher interest rate than any equivalent provider. Any advantage you get from same-bank speed of transfer is likely to be lost in poorer interest rates - unless HSBC happen to offer the best rate you can get.

Are you transferring money into your ISA, or is it transfers out (withdrawals) that you want to do quickly?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • chris112
    chris112 Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    I don't use the app so cannot comment, but I find the website unpleasant to use. And my experience of their customer services staff is not positive.

However, you need to ask two different questions:-
    a) Should I do a switch to HSBC to take advantage of the £200 incentive
    b) Should I switch my main current account and ISA to HSBC

The answer to a) is yes, go for it.

The answer to b) is more complicated and you'll get different answers from each person you ask. Personally I wouldn't use HSBC for my main current account, and I would only move my ISA if HSBC paid a higher interest rate than any equivalent provider. Any advantage you get from same-bank speed of transfer is likely to be lost in poorer interest rates - unless HSBC happen to offer the best rate you can get.

Are you transferring money into your ISA, or is it transfers out (withdrawals) that you want to do quickly?

In order to receive the £200 incentive, i must switch my current account to HSBC (including 2+ DD + paying in £1750 p/month)

see here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts
  • JSmith99_2
    Options
    The latest incarnation of the website is a great improvement but that still leaves them way behind, say the Halifax. Downloading statements is horrible as they only offer pdf files and getting those into a spreadsheet is painful.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    chris112 wrote: »
    In order to receive the £200 incentive, i must switch my current account to HSBC (including 2+ DD + paying in £1750 p/month)
    But you don't have to switch your main current account - just a current account which has two DD's or SO's (so two standing orders are easier) and then once the HSBC account is opened you need to pay in £1750, but there is nothing in the T&C's that says you can't take the money straight back out again.

If you search this board for "HSBC Advance" you will get all the information you need about how to go about this.

You also need to be aware that the Advance account is the one the most people seem to get turned down for, sometimes for no obvious reason.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Advance account assumes you have a certain level of income.

HSBC customer service in my local branch is very good.

I'm one of those people who prefer telephone banking to online. Just be aware that they do not have UK based call centres. A few times I have not been able to understand what I am being told, so I say that it is a really bad line / interference on the line so I cut off and start again!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Thrawyn
    Options
    How is Natwest?
    My main current account is with HSBC and I was thinking of switching it to Natwest for the £125 and 2% cashback on bills. I haven't been a fan on HSBC since it's not really anything special in my opinion.
    (I don't earn enough to get the reward account that provides the 5% savings)
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thrawyn wrote: »
    How is Natwest?
    My main current account is with HSBC and I was thinking of switching it to Natwest for the £125 and 2% cashback on bills. I haven't been a fan on HSBC since it's not really anything special in my opinion.
    (I don't earn enough to get the reward account that provides the 5% savings)

You may wish to trawl through this long thread on the trials and tribulations of applying for the NatWest switch!!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5772997

You might be better opening a donor account and switching that for the bonus!
    To answer your questions perhaps start a specific NatWest thread dealing with performance etc? ;)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure