PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Transferring deposit to solicitor

Options

Comments

• LuckyG
    LuckyG Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    You can do Chaps online, Well at least you can with my bank

I'll have a read around that, thank you
  • LuckyG
    Options
    jimbog wrote: »
    You could always send a token amount (say £1) first and then ring the solicitors to see if they have received it before sending £39999

That's a good idea also, thanks.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    As explained in post #19 - the risk is that email may have come from a scammer, and not your solicitor.

There are examples where scammers have apparently hacked into solicitors' email accounts to get names and email addresses of their clients - and then the scammers sent emails to the clients with payment instructions, with the scammer's sort code and account number.

Edit to add...

I imagine that solicitors systems can be a very lucrative target for hackers. If you can trick just one client into paying into the 'wrong' account, you might make £50k or more.

But surely the same scammers could also send the same details via post? A letter head is very easy to falsify. If the solicitors systems are so easily hacked then there will be a lot more information available to any scammers. The only way around it would be everyone having to go into branch and have it printed in front of them on letter headed paper but even then a rogue employee would have access to that and could still carry out the same scam.

I'm not saying that what you are saying is false, I do believe you and have heard of the scams but it's not emails themselves that are the weak link in the scam it would be overall security.

Although saying that through my job I could easily list over a hundred local businesses that I would never deal with on a personal level from seeing how poor their security is and how they don't see IT security as important. Even when I've explained things to them and found them solutions incredibly cheaply but they still refuse as little as £10 a year to have even basic protection. Worst one being a financial advisor who I have to clean up his system from viruses at least once a year and that computer has his entire client base and all of their details on it :eek:
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    But surely the same scammers could also send the same details via post?

Yes - that's exactly what I said in post#19.

As I also said in post#19, you can follow up with a phone call to the solicitors (on a number you trust), to confirm the details.

FWIW, if an employee of the solicitor is a fraudster and gives you fake details on behalf of the solicitor, that is likely to be the solicitor's problem not yours. The solicitor will have been defrauded by their employee.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    LuckyG wrote: »
    Yes, I'm going to go into Nationwide and do it in one go via CHAPS.

you can do chaps online with nationwide that's my bank
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    you can do chaps online with nationwide that's my bank

For £40K+ ? Many online accounts have a maximum/day for money transfers.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    LuckyG wrote: »
    I spoke to my solicitor, she gave me the details over the phone. It was clear and I read them back to her.

Will I need to actually go to my solicitors office to get them?

No, but if the details are wrong then you have no proof it was their error not yours. That's why it's generally best to get them in writing.

House buyers and their solicitors are prime targets for scammers so most savvy solicitors won't give out, or accept, bank details by e-mail, or will require them to be verified directly.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • LuckyG
    Options
    It's all done, I phoned my solicitor again regarding her sending me the bank details by post. She informed me that she had sent me the bank details when I received my welcome pack containing the terms and conditions.

I eventually found it in amongst all my paperwork and my deposit is now fully paid.
    It's a weird feeling to be poor again but nice that we're another step closer to getting the keys.

I went into Nationwide to do it as I need a new card reader, however it ended up being done via my online account anyway using a card reader in branch.
    It was only a £20 charge too which was less than I thought.

Thanks for the advice :)
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    For £40K+ ? Many online accounts have a maximum/day for money transfers.

Your thinking of normal bacs transfer

"CHAPS Limit

Providing there are sufficient cleared funds available to cover your transaction and fees, there is no minimum or maximum transfer limit"
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 July 2017 at 3:33PM
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    My solicitor sent the details in an email, I don't quite get why security would be an issue when they are only providing an account number and sort code. .
    There have been a number of cases where fraudsters have intercepted emails (don't ask me how but it can be done) nd then altered the account details.

Buyer then transfers money to the fraudsters account, they move it on and vanish.See

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/mortgages/11605010/Fraudsters-hacked-emails-to-my-solicitor-and-stole-340000-from-my-property-sale.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/another-homebuyer-loses-67k-solicitors-fail-warn-email-fraud/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure