Access to back issues of digital magazine subsciptions

Options
I have been subscribing to 3 French magazines for years but if I don't renew, I apparently lose all the back issues I have paid for! I am not renewing because I am moving to France! Surely if I have paid for the digital editions, it should be mine forever?? If it was the print version, would they demand them back when I didn't renew!! Does anyone know the law on this please?

Does anyone know of a separate app compatible with Kindle that would allow me to save them all so I can always see them?

Still in discussions with the magazine subscriber so I will keep you posted. Thank you. x

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Do they not offer the option to download them to your device before your subscription ends? If so, they normally have instructions on how to do that on their website. Who is the publisher?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been subscribing to 3 French magazines for years but if I don't renew, I apparently lose all the back issues I have paid for! I am not renewing because I am moving to France! Surely if I have paid for the digital editions, it should be mine forever?? If it was the print version, would they demand them back when I didn't renew!! Does anyone know the law on this please?

Does anyone know of a separate app compatible with Kindle that would allow me to save them all so I can always see them?

Still in discussions with the magazine subscriber so I will keep you posted. Thank you. x

Is your subscription with a UK based company or a France based company?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Surely if I have paid for the digital editions, it should be mine forever?
    I think you'll find you've simply paid for access to back issues of digital editions only while you remain a subscriber.

If they are so important to you, why don't you download or print them?
    I am not renewing because I am moving to France!
    Why would this stop you subscribing?
  • Storm_in_a_D_Cup
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Is your subscription with a UK based company or a France based company?
    UK based I believe. They are called Archant.
  • Storm_in_a_D_Cup
    Storm_in_a_D_Cup Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 11 June 2017 at 4:35PM
    Options
    I think you'll find you've simply paid for access to back issues of digital editions only while you remain a subscriber.

Because I no longer need to learn about the French property market and how to open an account etc when I have already done it. There are copies I wish to save though for future reference. I will be living the dream, I don't need to read about it anymore! ;-) There is no way to download them from the app and if I had wanted reams of printed paper I would have bought the magazine not the online version. ;-/
  • Storm_in_a_D_Cup
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Do they not offer the option to download them to your device before your subscription ends? If so, they normally have instructions on how to do that on their website. Who is the publisher?

Nope, publisher is Archant and this was their reply.

"Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately you only get access to view editions online during the active subscription period. If you account has expired, the access stops and won’t start again until you re-subscribe."
  • Storm_in_a_D_Cup
    Options

I have only been ever to access the ones from when my subscription started not before, so I should be able to continue to see them if I no longer subscribe surely??
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Going to Archant's website, then clicking on a random magazine takes you to subscriptionsave.co.uk which seems to be part of Archant.

In their FAQs it talks about downloading magazines to your computer or mobile device so you can access them when you are not online. If you can actually download them this way, despite what their CS may say, that could be your answer.

Apologies if you have already tried this.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 June 2017 at 8:47PM
    Options
    "Unfortunately you only get access to view editions online during the active subscription period. If you account has expired, the access stops and won’t start again until you re-subscribe."

So there you have your answer already.

Unless you want to print copies or somehow download prior to your subscription ending, you will lose access to the back issues as this is part of your subscription.
    Surely if I have paid for the digital editions, it should be mine forever?
    Obviously not "yours forever" at all.
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    So there you have your answer already.

Unless you want to print copies or somehow download prior to your subscription ending, you will lose access to the back issues as this is part of your subscription.

Obviously not "yours forever" at all.

Another consumer being wrong in the consumer rights part of the forum!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure