Who is responsible for Council tax

I was renting a property and then bought a house.

I paid rent for my entire 2 month notice period, but the landlord was going through a difficult time (separation from her husband) and requested that as the property was anyway empty would I have any objection if we did the checkout 2 weeks earlier so that she can move back in. Having been on good terms with the landlord, I agreed to still pay the rent for my entire notice period but having the checkout and handing over the keys to her 2 weeks before the end of tenancy.

What I'm not clear is do I pay the council tax for the last two weeks when the landlord was in possession of the property or given I was still paying the rent for that time, I am responsible for the council tax?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You paid rent for the whole month, yet let the LL have the property back 2 weeks before the end of the tenancy?

As you handed the keys back at the LL's request, the tenancy effectively ended at that date and the CT responsibility became hers as she had the right to occupy.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You should write and tell the council of the date on which you leave.

Your landlord should then take over responsibility from that date.
  • astreix
    astreix Posts: 237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks to those who have replied.

I had informed the council when I moved home and they gave a final bill which was in line with the date I handed over the keys.
    However the landlord disputed that saying the tenancy agreement was for 2 more weeks and so I should be paying the council tax.

I've written back to the council and provided them with a copy of the checkout report and receipt which shows key were handed over to the landlord 2 weeks before end of tenancy.

Let's see what the council decides.
  • bebewoo
    bebewoo Posts: 622 Forumite
    That'll teach you to do someone a favour...........
    But yes, as those above have said the day you move out is the day you stop paying council tax.
    Did she give you back the two weeks rent?
  • astreix
    astreix Posts: 237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In case it helps someone in future - the final outcome was that the council eventually agreed that I shouldn't be paying the council tax from the day I handed the key.

I had the checkout report, which included a confirmation that keys were handed over to the Landlord 2 weeks in advance.
  • binerds81
    binerds81 Posts: 112 Forumite
    Glad you got the council to sort it out, it was the correct result.

If your landlord wished you to exit the property earlier than the notice period you would have been entitled to receive a refund of the 2 weeks rent, but you kindly said it was ok - bit disappointing then to have let them keep 2 weeks money out of goodwill to then have them dispute their own living costs for that time.

Next she'll be putting a claim for the £80 she spent at Asda saying that as you were in your notice period you should also feed anyone living there!! :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure