CCJ taking money from wages but we received no letters at all

Hi,
I'm new to this and basically, my OH just found out that our old landlord had taken a CCJ out against him and won. We have not received any letters calls etc...nothing to say this was going to happen. I don't know what to do???? We owed them a months rent of £750, they asked us to sign a hand written paper saying we would pay which we did. As we were moving to another city and as yet didn't have a permanent home sorted (couch surfing till we found a place) we gave them my parents address, they didn't write to us there either , they also have our emails and phone numbsrs, but didnt get in contact that way either. We didnt give them our new address not to run away but simply as we had pre arranged payment at a later (up to a year), date. We had had arrears with them previously and paid them off before we left- they insisted on cash not payments into their accs or company accs for some reason i cant recall now, we did this but didnt take recipts, how stupid of us. Also as the house was a student property before they were renting it to us at a loss or so they say, and my OH offered to teach their child twice a week for 1hr a time -to top up the rent- they ageeed and we kept that off the books- it was worth £60\week £240\month, so although we' lost' money we got a home. We didn't have much in the way of choice as we have dogs and were finding it difficult to find accommodation elsewhere. So we took what we could. To be honest we were stupid. And we should have seen this coming. Dodgy landlords come in many guises. OH just found out a couple of hours ago from his boss, who is obviously annoyed as he has to fill this in tmrw. We have no clue has to how much is being asked for-if it is indeed the one month we owe or are they trying to get more out of us-especially as we had those previous arrers we paid for in cash. Neither of us knows what to do if we can at all do anything. Any advice would be helpful. Can they do this to us? No letter no warning nothing and then just go to an employer? We didn't get a chance at all to even try to pay. I should add we are also paying off other debts, from non legal lenders... And really need to get back onto the iva payments. I'm so lost. Any advice would be good, also if you think we should just leave it be and pay up please say so.
Thank you in advance of replying.

Comments

• terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    It is possible that the summons was sent to you at the last known address. You can apply to the court for the judgement to be set aside provided you did not receive the summons and you have a reasonable defence. There is a fee payable by you for the application.

You have admitted the debt in writing which may harm any defence. In your post you also admit the debt. The fact that you did not obtain receipts for earlier rent payments is not really relevant.

Have you any written proof of the agreement for the private tuition? Even evidence of your registration for self employment and accounts for HMRC would be useful.

As regards the other debts and iva, it might be helpful to obtain further work at £30 per hour doing private tuition to bring these debts down quicker.

As a first move, contacting the court involved for details of the actual judgement is probably sensible.
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    terryw wrote: »
    As a first move, contacting the court involved for details of the actual judgement is probably sensible.

This is good advise, if you apply for a set aside, it will cost you a fee of £155.00, so you need to factor that into your calculations, you can make an offer of payment to the landlord also, but you should ask the relevant court for all the details of the judgement first, they may also be able to advise your next step.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I salute the two who answered you. My eyes were aching within a minute and I just gave up

Please, it would be much easier to read if you used some paragraphs
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport