PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Comments

• KTFrugal
    KTFrugal Posts: 74 Forumite
    A slow cooker IS great for us veggies. V. handy for cooking pulses - soak them all day, then rinse and chuck them in the cooker with enough water to cover and a bay leaf/sage if you like. Cook all night on low, then you have loads of beans to add to that evening's meal. Or you can divvy them up and freeze the portions.

It's also great for soup, spaghetti sauce ( eg tomato and red lentil bolognese), veggie curry, steamed puddings, rice pudding (but I use it as a bain marie for this, otherwise you'll still be cleaning the darned thing this time next Tuesday).

No meat, no problem.
  • Good Thinking..........
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No matter how fast I am at serving up and then eating whatever I've made in the slow cooker and then (as suggested for food hygiene reasons) emptying it to allow the food to cool faster in another container - I always get that dried on rim around the pot where the side was wet from the meal but the level has lowered.

The old scrape it off with a credit card trick works wonders here when it's time to clean up :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Just wanted to say... this thread has convinced me to go out and buy a slow cooker today.

Was pricing them up in the supermarket while doing my weekly shop today. Found a lad who liked accepting coupons so after dumping the shopping in the car I dived back into the supermarket to buy the slow cooker. Managed to get a morphy richards £29 one for... 41p. :eek: Have now spent this evening reading through the threads and looking in my cupboards ready to cook something really tasty and homemade for tomorrow.

Family eagily await tomorrow's tea....
  • SlayerKat
    SlayerKat Posts: 52
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I gave up with the AWT one and I'm glad I did coz I took a look at it in Argos and its HUUUGE!! Too big for our tiny kitchen. So I went with the cheap as chips one £11.00 cookworks http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=130101&clickfrom=name and it works fine! So sometimes cheaper is better.
    "If the Apocalypse comes; Beep me!"
  • penrith
    penrith Posts: 116 Forumite
    Got a brand spankingly new slow cooker (MR 6.5)! Am still experimenting so go easy on me - I'm a novice!

Am wanting to cook a whole chicken to then let it go cold to have with a salad.

If i cook the whole chicken in the slow cooker, what's the best way to do it? I wondered about sticking it in the slow cooker on the low setting for about 6-8 hours in about 1-2 inches of water. Does that sound about right to you? Anything else you'd recommend? (i'm assuming i don't need to immerse if in water to cook it)
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hiya penrith.

Mmmmm - my fave way of doing chicken.

I just plonk mine in the slow cooker, with 1-2 inches of water. I stuff the chicken with a lemon sliced in two, or a bulb of garlic, season the top and put the lid on. Nothing extravagant and the chicken just falls off the bone and is gently flavoured with lemon or garlic (or whatever else you fancy flavouring with.) I find all day on low in the MR 6.5 is ample time.

Once done, remove chicken from stock (don't use those meat lifters, it'll fall to pieces, use fish slices or large slotted spoons) then you can remove any fat and make lovely gravy with all/some of the juice. I find there's always lots of juice so freeze the amount I don't want to use another day.
  • penrith
    brilliant! thanks ticklemouse. Am heading to the kitchen to prepare the chicken as we speak......
  • penrith
    Had it for tea tonight. mmm yummy!
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Not tried this myself but I've heard that some people:

* prop the whole chicken up on scrunched on balls of foil so it doesn't sit in the water

*cook the chicken in the SC 'dry' i.e. wihtout any added water/cooking fluid.
    -
    blue-kat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family