PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Comments

• Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Beef Casserole.

Ingredients:

A lump of diced beef, casserole beef, in fact, any old cheap beef cut into largeish chunks. I use about a pound and a half for 4 adult meals, 2 childrens meals and a few pots of baby meals.

About 4/5/6 carrots (sliced)
    A swede (cubed)
    An onion (chopped)
    2x beef OXO cubes (dissolved in a pint and a half of water)
    Dash of Lea & Perrins
    About a tablespoon of plain flour
    A squirt of oil

Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed casserole pan and add the beef, heat until deep brown all over. Remove the beef from the pan and keep to one side.

Put the onions and carrots and swede in the same pan, stir around until they are coated in the beef juices, put the lid on the pan and turn the heat to medium. Sweat the onions and carrots for 3-4 minutes.

Add the flour and stir to coat the onions, carrots and swede (will look horrible and gloopy ;) ) Cook for one minute.

Add the meat back to the pan, pour over the oxo stock, add the dash of Lea & Perrins, stir and bring to the boil.

When boiled, stir, turn the heat right down, put the lid on and either cook on the hob or stick in the oven on a low/medium heat. Leave to cook for 2-3 hours. Keep checking that there's enough liquid, if it's looking a bit dry top up with boiling water. Stir occasionally.

Add dumplings half an hour before eating, serve with buttery mash :D

This is better when cooked, cooled and reheated the following day. :drool:

Freezes perfectly.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• sproggi
    sproggi Posts: 1,560
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    200g (7oz) bacon, roughly chopped
    20g (1oz) margarine
    100g (4oz) button mushrooms, finely sliced
    4-6 spring onions, finely sliced (leeks & onions work well too)
    5ml (1tsp) dried mixed herbs
    salt & pepper to taste
    100g (4oz) cheese, grated
    450g (1lb) puff pastry (you can use shortcrust)
    1 egg beaten to glaze

Combine bacon, marg, mushrooms, onion, herbs and seasoning and cook in microwave for 3 mins on full power.
    Drain off surplus liquid, stir in the cheese and then leave to one side to cool.

Roll out pastry and cut out 4 x 20.4cm (8") circles (use smaller cutter to make mini pasties), then brush edges with egg.

Spoon bacon mix onto the centre of each pastry circle and then fold pastry over to form a semi circle. Pinch the edges to seal and brush with egg.

Place pasties onto greased baking sheets and cook at 200 oC (400 oF, gas mark 6) for around 25 mins until golden.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    This may be on somewhere already so please delete as necessary

Just been hoking through cupboards for things to use up and make for dinner and made this: Tasted it and its lovely, cant wait for dinner time! All in all it took about 5 mins to prepare!

Chicken Mustard and Pasta

Tin Chicken in White sauce
    Pasta (as mush as you require, i used approx 6oz) - UNCOOKED
    2-3 teaspoons (depending on taste) Wholegrain mustard
    Boiling water
    Tin sweetcorn (optional)

Place contents of tin of chicken in casserole dish. Pour over drained tin of sweetcorn. Pour over uncooked pasta and mix together. Pour some boiling water over the top to make a thinner consistency.
    Place in oven (180 degrees) for approx 10 mins. Remove and stir in 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard and return to oven for further 10 mins (or until pasta is cooked).
    Serve with garlic bread and side salad
  • lex
    lex Posts: 266 Forumite
    Parmesan chicken bake

serves 4
    Ingredients
    4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
    4 tbsp plain flour
    4 tbsp olive oil
    225g Mozarella cheese - sliced
    4 tbsp grated parmesan
    2 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
    salt and pepper

Tomato sauce
    1tbsp olive oil
    1 onion - chopped
    1 stick celery (I leave this out)
    1 red pepper (seeded and diced)
    1 garlic clove - crushed
    400g can of tinned chopped tomatoes
    150ml/1/4 pint chicken stock
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    2 tsp caster sugar
    1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
    1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

First make sauce
    Heat oil and cook onion, celery, pepper and garlic over low heat until tender
    Add tomatoes with their juice, chicken stock, tomato puree, sugar, basil and parsley. Season and bring to boil. Simmer for 30 mins until thick

Divide each chicken breast into two fillets, place between cling film and flatten to around 5mm, with a rolling pin.

Season flour and toss chicken breasts in flour to coat, shake to remove excess

Preheat oven to 180. Heat oil in large frying pan and cook chicken quickly in batches for 3-4 mins until coloured. Keep each batch warm.

Layer chicken pieces with the cheeses and thick tomato sauce, finishing with a layer of parmesan and breadcrumbs on top. Bake uncovered for 20-30 mins or until golden brown.

I cook double the amount of sauce for this one and freeze half for next time.
    Competition wins -
    May 09 - Horrid Henry book box set, 8GB ipod touch, Jan 10 - Creme Egg keyring, 4 Ripley's Believe it or not museum tickets! Feb 10 - Annabel Karmel snacks, Disney laptop, tumble tots back pack, tumble tots DVD, basket of fruit,
    Mar 10 - Farm Frenzy 3 PC game, GHD styler carry case, May 10 - 44 inch chest DVD
  • lex
    Sticky lemon chicken

Cut chicken breasts into strips

Marinade for 15 mins in - 1-2tbsps olive oil, juice of half lemon, 1 chopped garlic clove, 3 tbsps runny honey, chopped fresh thyme leaves

Put in a roasting tin and cook at 190 degrees for 15 mins til cooked and golden (I find it doesn't take this long)

Serve with roasted new potatoes and strips of fresh mango

(The mango really works!)
    Competition wins -
    May 09 - Horrid Henry book box set, 8GB ipod touch, Jan 10 - Creme Egg keyring, 4 Ripley's Believe it or not museum tickets! Feb 10 - Annabel Karmel snacks, Disney laptop, tumble tots back pack, tumble tots DVD, basket of fruit,
    Mar 10 - Farm Frenzy 3 PC game, GHD styler carry case, May 10 - 44 inch chest DVD
  • lex
    Chops in sage and onion stuffing

Take pork chop
    Dip in beaten egg
    Dip in stuffing (I use Paxo sage and onion but have tried others too)
    Grill!

Keeps the pork chop nice and juicy!!
    Competition wins -
  • lex
    Chicken, sage and cheddar en croute

(I believe this is an Ainsley Harriott recipe)

Serves 4
    375g pack puff pastry
    4 small, boneless, skinless chicken fillets (each about 75g)
    1 tablespoon dijon mustard
    8 fresh sage leaves
    150g coarsley grated cheddar
    1 tbps milk
    salt and pepper

Method
    Heat oven to 200 degrees.
    Roll out pastry, so that you can cut 4 15x20cm rectangles
    Spread centre of each rectangle with mustard and place chicken on each
    Season then place 2 sage leaves on each fillet (I prefer to chop my sage)
    Scatter cheese over each fillet
    Dampen edges of pastry and fold pastry over to make a parcel, squeeze edges to secure
    Transfer to baking sheet, seam side down, brush with milk and bake (20-25 mins)

Have to say I love this recipe - so easy and so yummy!
    Competition wins -
  • lex
    Turkey meatballs in red pepper sauce

This one is an Annabel Karmel recipe, but it has become one of the favourites here. I always cook a full portion, and it does two adults and a three year old twice. It's a bit labour intensive, but the second serving is great, as it comes straight out the freezer!

Sauce
    1 and a half red peppers - chopped
    2 shallots (use half an onion if necessary)
    1 tsp of tomato puree
    3/4 pint veg stock
    3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
    oil to fry

Heat oil in a frying pan/wok. Add peppers and shallots and cook til softened. Stir in everything else, season to taste, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 mins. Blend til smooth.

Meatballs
    500g minced turkey
    1 onion - finely chopped
    1 small apple - peeled and grated
    3tbsp fresh breadcrumbs (I use more)
    1egg - lightly beaten
    2 tbsp chopped fresh sage or thyme
    flour for coating
    oil for frying
    salt and pepper

Mix together all ingredients for meatballs, seasoning to taste
    Make into around 24 walnut sized balls.
    Spread flour on plate and coat meatballs
    Heat oil in frying pan, add the balls and saute until golden

Transfer meatballs to a casserole dish, cover with sauce and cook in preheated oven for 20 mins or until meatballs are cooked through and well browned.

Serve with basmati rice and sprinkled with torn basil leaves
    Competition wins -
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    hi, someone asked me for the recipe for our chicken fried rice

here's the link for ken hom's egg fried rice

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/eggfriedrice_4835.shtml

the secret is to use completely cold boiled rice. either boil & cool in advance or buy the ready made micro packs

we marinade the chicken in whatever spices/ marinades are in the cupboards, and cook this before the making the egg fried rice. we also fry mushrooms and add them to the egg fried rice with the chicken and chopped spring onions.

we sometimes add raw onion and chillies.

basically this is a good dish to use up what you have in the fridge/ veg basket.
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Apple Bran Muffins
    Adapted from The GI Diet by Rick Gallop

Ingredients

45g/1 ½ oz All Bran
    225mls/8 fl oz skimmed milk
    100g/3 ½ oz whole wheat flour
    powdered sweetener – equiv of 75g/2 ½ oz sugar (or be radical and use real sugar!)
    2 tsp baking soda
    ¼ tsp salt
    1 tsp allspice
    ½ tsp cloves
    (I never have cloves, smells like the dentist’s! I substitute the allspice & cloves with about a tsp of nutmeg, which works fine)
    180 g/6oz oat bran
    80 g/2 ¾ oz raisins
    1 large apple, peeled and diced into small chunks
    1 egg lightly beaten
    2 tsp vegetable oil
    115 ml/4 fl oz unsweetened apple purée (available in jars, or make your own…or substitute with pure apple baby food)

Method
    1. Turn the oven on to 175ºC/350ºF/Gas mark 4
    2. Very lightly grease a 12 muffin tray
    3. Get three bowls
    4. In the largest bowl mix the All Bran with the skimmed milk and let soak
    5. In a separate bowl combine the flour, sweetener, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Then add the oat bran, raisins and cubed apple. Mix together well.
    6. In another bowl mix together the apple sauce, vegetable oil and the egg.
    7. Now add the contents of the second and third bowl to the bowl containing the dry ingredients
    8. Stir until all ingredients are wet, ie you can’t see any dry flour or oat bran etc
    9. Spoon into the muffin tray
    10. Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden

NB: I find that these don’t rise very much, possibly because there are lots of heavy ingredients.
    They are very filling so great for when you have the mid-morning or late afternoon munchies. I hear they are delicious split in two and spread with some sugar free jam. Even with the jam they are healthy food (if you ignore the artificial sweetener), so enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure