Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cliom
    • By Cliom 19th Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Cliom
    12k settlement offer, shall I take it?
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:28 AM
    12k settlement offer, shall I take it? 19th Jun 17 at 9:28 AM
    I was involved in a car accident a few years ago where the other driver accepts full responsibility. I broke my foot and it took months to heal and he never been right since. Before the accident I was probably at my fittest and now I'm 3 stone heavier and don't exercise at all which is my fault but steams from then.

Also the side of my face was hit and I now have a click when I eat or yawn they diagnosed it as temporomandibular... it's really annoying!

Anyway I got fed up with the whole insurance business and there was a gap of 2 years between continuing claiming I had children and life just got in the way...

I was offered £8,600 by the insurance company and then offered £12,300 when my solicitor went back to them. This is instead of going to court and I have to let them know asap. My solicitors are not great and I know just want it over and done with after the delays.

Should I take the offer or let it go to court?

Thanks
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 19th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    • 13,668 Posts
    • 14,123 Thanks
    zx81
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    Should I take the offer or let it go to court?
    Originally posted by Cliom
    You've already answered your own question.

I know just want it over and done with
    Originally posted by Cliom
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 19th Jun 17, 10:02 AM
    • 36,068 Posts
    • 151,687 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:02 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:02 AM
    Tell them you will accept £13,500.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 19th Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    What does your solicitor say?

If you want it over and done with, accept the offer.
    • Cliom
    • By Cliom 19th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cliom
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    They have a court date for 6 weeks time if I decide to go a head so I wouldn't have to wait long. I know that 12k is a huge amount of money but I expected to be offered more. I looked on the sites that price how much you are likely to receive and it was in the 20k region. Are they usually correct? I am nervous at the though of it going to court though.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 19th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:07 PM
    Those websites are very general. There isn't really a 'blanket' figure for compensation, it depends how much you've been affected by your injuries, and what mitigation you have done. How it impacts you, may be different to how the same injury impacts someone else.

If you want it over with - accept the £12K.
    If you want more, go to court. When you go to court you will have to stand up and tell the judge how the injury has impacted you etc. The judge may award more, or even less, than what is being offered.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

236Posts Today

1,611Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin