That was scary; now to tackle the remaining mortgage

Comments

• teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My back is not quite so sore tonght but have been taking it easy today. I have been perfecting the fine art of getting other folk to do things. Am not very good at it as usually do stuff myself but don't have a choice at the mo.

OH is away till tomo eve but sis is giving me a lift to physio which is in the next town. I had a really long day on Thurs which I think might have added to back probs. I was working in the morning then met my sis in Edinburgh and we did some festivally things and a LOT of walking. Seats in the venue were at a funny angle and not v comfy so that didn't help. Had a lovely day though and we both enjoyed it all and the sun shone - bonus :D.

Got quite a bit to sort this week - need to find better insurance as ours has gone up again - for better read cheaper. Also need to do the same for gas and leccy as our deal is running out - watch this space.

Also got quite a few forms to fill in to do with work so am going to be busy :eek:.

We've has cavity wall insulation fitted and the loft insulation brought up to standard depth so only the new boiler to come. Unfortunately that will cost and the insulation was free - not sure if I posted that we're not eleigible for scrappage? Also didn't get the local grant we applied for as they changed their grant making priorites after we applied -thanks. Soooooooo thats 3 grants we didn't get for this boiler :p:p:p:p.

So, busy week ahead - am off to bed now, have a good week all :D x
  • teapot2
    :j:j:j Hoorah and hooray we've got below £30,000 on the mortgage; only by £50 mind but it feels great to finally get into the next decade down. :j:j:j
  • teapot2
    We've had the new boiler fitted and all went well on the day - only took about 6 hours in the end. It was a really wet day and there was mud everywhere from them coming in and out so the steam mop we got for £20 courtesy of a tip off on the weekly MSE email came into its own :D.

Because the mortgage didn't come out on the weekend and we had the boiler money in there too, the joint account looked wonderfully healthy for about two days but sadly its back to its usual meagre self now the DDs have come out :rotfl:

I've been really busy doing work related admin stuff and I also got the house and contents insurance renewed for about half of what we were quoted for renewal. I've also swopped energy provider as our EON deal came to an end. The new deal is fixed until Jan 2014 and should be over £100 cheaper which is not bad as we've swopped a lot.

Think thats all for now but will post again as I think of things. Hope everyone is doing ok. Teapot x
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Woohoo on getting under £30k!! :j How does it feel to be a 20-something?! ;) I'm still a 40-something ~ having a couple of months off OPing & it's killing me not being able to pay anything!! :rotfl:

Well done on sorting your house insurance as well ~ I was too lazy to do it & I'm kicking myself now!! :o
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • teapot2
    :hello:Yoohoo sticks head round door and waves. :naughty: Been very norty and lost my MSE diary mojo! Haven't been overspending or anything like that just not been overpaying much but have my eye on a decent OP for next month. I kept thinking 'I'll put that in my diary' when something happened but then I didn't so unless you are psychic you missed all that :rotfl:.

Been having a lot of probs with my back and hurt my achilles tendon as well - no idea how. This makes me hobble and my back worse so some days have felt and looked about 90:eek:. I'm so slow I kid you not one day I was overtaken by someone using a walking frame :rotfl:Physio says it takes ages for achilles to heal [no pun intended]. Had lots of physio appts but she's been great and offered me half hours so its not tooooooo expensive. All strapped up at the moment and I'm doing exercises.

Not much work this week so that gives it a chance to heal as walking on cobbles and hard pavements really hurts it.

OH away overnight so been chilling and watching rubbish tv instead of sorting out papers for my tax return :o.

In other news I've lost 2 stones in old money or will have when another 1lb falls off :j. Am amazed but have found an eating plan that works for me. I can't do deprivation diets or calorie counting as I end up sabotaging myself. Am contemplating joiining the gym but that might be going a bit far :rotfl:.

Blooming freezing here so heating on. Keep switching it off but it gets too cold. Have a good week all :)
  • teapot2
    pink_poppy wrote: »
    Woohoo on getting under £30k!! :j How does it feel to be a 20-something?! ;) I'm still a 40-something ~ having a couple of months off OPing & it's killing me not being able to pay anything!! :rotfl:

Well done on sorting your house insurance as well ~ I was too lazy to do it & I'm kicking myself now!! :o

Hi Poppy, are you back to being able to OP yet? Am looking forward to making a proper OP again. Didn't sort out the house insurance the year before as I didn't leave enough time to do it so was determined this year not to do that again.

Hope all is well with you otherwise?
  • teapot2
    Well EON finally put the money they 'owed' us into our account so that was a £103 towards an OP. Also noticed another £30 had gone in which turned out to be cashback from taking out insurance with the Hali which we weren't expecting but woohoow :j. Also got £30 from the gas and leccy switch through a comparison site so that helped too. Mortgage now at £28380 so getting there. We are waiting to hear from the Halifax about how much we can OP due to the 10% thing so there should be more to come once we hear :D.

Had a cold and sore throat this week so been feeling a bit grot but definitely on the mend now. Am going to the physio again on Monday - my achilles is much better than it was but still painful at times.

Did OH's hair with his clippers so that saved a bit of cash and also pruned his eyebrows!! Made stovies too - first of the winter. Its quite a sunny but cold day, got a washing out and might do a bit of tidying up in the garden later. We had the MOT done a couple of weeks ago and it passed - hooray, just needed a couple of tyres.

Having a LSD today - managed that by getting OH to post my 2 Amazon sales :rotfl:. Am having a chippy tea as a treat for finally managing to lose 2 stones, quite proud of myself.

Had a spendy week last week, went to Ike@ with my sis and got some chair pads, nice big cooking pot, some new bedding and a rug as we have laminate floors everywhere. Have been saving so paid for everything in cash rather than putting it on a card. Also went shopping last w/e, nephew and fiance have bought their first house so we got them a toaster and sandwich toaster as a house warming. Also got another rug and a few kitchen bits. Those were mostlly paid for with Mr T vouchers so that was good :T.

Need to start thinking about Chrissy pressies next and get a list - have a few ideas but should get cracking.

Hope everyone has a good weekend xx.
  • teapot2
    Whoop whoop :j was checking the joint account and was v surprised to see it was enhanced by a £500 deposit :D:D. This was a grant from a local windfarm company towards our new boiler. This will really help because as I said a number of posts back we weren't eligible for boiler scrappage despite having a really old boiler also just missed out on another grant as OH doesn't get enough benefits! We applied for the windfarm grant before but were told we couldn't get it as they'd changed the criteria but then the vol org that organises it locally told us the scheme was open again and we could reapply. Sooo we did while not holding our breath. That £500 will go towards OPing mortgage once we hear from Hali about how much we can OP without triggering an ERC.

Got our mortgage statement today and its a year until our fixed rate runs out so looking forward to that as hopefully monthly payments might come down and we should have hammered the total even more by then too :beer:.

Well didn't get to the physio as had to take cat to vet - he was in a fight, I let him out one very dark night and couldn't see there was a black cat sitting there and they immediately had a caterwauling scrap. Our cat has a lovely tail which is always upright like a wee flag but over the weekend it was completely deflated so I knew he wasn't right :( poor boy. The only vet appt I could get clashed with my physio appt so I had to cancel that. The vet shaved a bit of his tail fur so she could see and sure enough he had a nasty bite which had gone all !!!!! [no pun intended - is that how its spelled??]. Hes on antibiotics and is a lot better - his tail is flying the flag again. So, my back and heel are really sore still but got another appt for Monday evening.

Don't know where the week has gone really, got quite a busy weekend and friends coming for a meal tomorrow so went to Mr A to stock up. Had a voucher off plus one for £5 off £40 - shopping came to £39. 79 so had to quickly get a Caramac bar to make it up. OH has scoffed that as am not eating sweets, I've lost a bit more weight so now over 2 stone gone so am chuffed with that. Have a good weekend everyone.
  • teapot2
    Have managed 2 NSDs over the weekend so pleased with that tho' OH did get some loo rolls at the co-op when he was out as they are on offer at the mo.

Cooked a roasted veg ratatouille for last night as we had friends round - it was delish, really nice flavour so will make that again sometime. Also did a baked lemon cheesecake which was from my diet book. OH who is a major meat eater had to have some mini pork pies after that lot - can't take him anywhere :rotfl:

Still waiting to hear from the Hali about OP amount so hope they reply this week coming. Managed to hang some washing out but it didn't completely dry, still better than having it draped round the house.

Going to physio tomorrow eve - will have to get a train from the big city and the last bus home so long day. Cat is nearly finished his antibiotics and his tail is proudly aloft again and healed up so he's nearly back to his usual self.

Think thats all for now - have a good week everyone x
  • teapot2
    OH is working away until Monday so aiming for a NSW though I might order some Xmas stuff over the internet. Other than that just chilling out and catching up a bit with things. Done an invoice for some of November's work so will post that on Monday. I cooked some ratatouille again and had some for tea, a friend gave us some beetroot from her lottie so I roasted that too - yum, one of my fave veg.

I changed all the bed llinen and did 2 machine loads, hung some out on the line but I think it was as wet when I brought it in as it was when I put it out :eek: - it was sunny but I think it was quite weak so no heat to dry anything.

I went to the physio on Mon and had my foot strapped up again which seems to help but I cant keep the strapping on too long. She is going to refer me for a steroid injection to my heel but I think there will be a long waiting list.

Tomorrow's forecast is for heavy rain which is a shame as its Christmas lights switch on in our local town and theres a craft market as well. I would have gone if the weather was better - will wait and see as the forecast is sometimes wrong.

Am thinking I might get up tomorrow and feed the cat then take a cuppa back to bed. I'm not a fan of breakfast in bed but can manage a mug of tea - no toast though :p:p.

STILL waiting to hear from the Hali - its nearly a month since we wrote to them, they aren't usually quite this slow to reply. Bah humbug :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure