The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Options

Comments

• Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    We are so happy to be celebrating your debt-freeness with you cottage_retreatist.

Huge congratulations from everyone at MSE Towers!!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • cottage_retreatist
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    We are so happy to be celebrating your debt-freeness with you cottage_retreatist.

Huge congratulations from everyone at MSE Towers!!

thank you!!!! :beer::beer::beer::beer:

:money:
    Debts @ LBM (May 2013): £25,250.27 | Debt Free: May 2015 :j:j
  • black_taxi_2
    black_taxi_2 Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    This is my fav thread M.S.E

well done cottage _ retreatist
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • NewlyFrugalMumof3
    Options
    :jWooohoooo :j

I am now debt free and it's a great feeling.

LBM July 2012

£8,910

DFD 26 May 2015

'Be proud of small steps, they will get you where you want to be'

What Small Debt Free Wannabe thing have you done today thread - brilliantly supportive place

Now need to try and save £5k for savings fund and £6.5k for caravan, so we can caravan our family all over the beautiful west country.

Am really proud of myself and now will continue with the thrifty attitude and be much more thoughtful with our money.

:beer:
    Jan GC £267.47/280, Fuel:£40.60/£40; Cafes: £28.35!!/£20, NSD: ?/20
    Walk /10miles/week,
    LBM £14,000 :eek: 01/02/18. Loan: £14960.40/4 years

Emergency: / £1000, Vouchers: One4All £20, HairSalon £50, Caffe Nero £15.62, Pizza Express £90, Other Restaurant £60. DS1 owes camera/car ins.£800.
  • Tammy2
    Tammy2 Posts: 284 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! PPI Party Pooper
    edited 8 June 2015 at 7:05PM
    Options
    This morning I paid of the last two creditors on my DMP - so I'm bad debt free as of today! :) (Still have a mortgage).

Very happy, and never going there again! (Started at ~£10K)

Edit:

a. Early 2009
    b. ~£10K
    c. 08/06/15
    d. Use a free DMP company. Such as Step Change - they have more clout with the companies. But don't take your eye off the ball. Look out for interest charges resuming. Plus, if a debit is very near completion ring up the creditor and get their closing figure and clear if necessary. (I unwittingly ended up with defaults for nearly a year all for 50p!)
    e. All started pre MSE for me.
    f. All started pre MSE for me.
    To Do 2015
    Claim back PPI & packaged bank account fees
    Take (further) first steps in investing (S&S ISA)
    Start saving for the children
    Start a business
    + £2015 in 2015 from home / £5026.21
  • GingerFurball_2
    Options
    a. The date of your lightbulb moment

It would've been late 2012/early 2013.

b. Debts at their highest

£6,000, give or take a few quid, consisting of an overlimit credit card I was at serious risk of defaulting, a student account with a maxed out £2,000 overdraft and a current account that was regularly at or in excess of its overdraft limit. That won't seem much to some people who've had much harder journeys than me, but that represented a huge figure to someone who was just out of uni and struggling to get more than part time work, and still represents almost a third of my salary now. It's depressing thinking what I could do with £6,000. Never mind the interest I've paid on top of that!

c. Debt-Free Date

June 11th 2015.

d. Your one pearl of wisdom.

The biggest change I had was the revelation that my overdraft limit was not my zero balance, when my account was at £0 was my zero balance. That might sound trite and daft but it was a huge psychological change. It came around roughly at the same time I stopped smoking - suddenly I had far more disposable income and I noticed that instead of basically putting my debit card into an ATM or card machine in the week before payday and keeping my fingers crossed that my card wouldn't decline, instead my account wasn't even going overdrawn! And the change in mindset was massive, the old me would have just looked at that £500 as frivolous spending money. Now, I get nervous when my current account balance dips below £200!

e. Links to the MSE guides that helped you

Probably http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/pay-off-debts. Putting the theory into practice is the tricky bit!

f. Which forum threads helped you

Pay off all your debt by Christmas 2014 and the 2015 version. Once I was in a well paying job, it really helped me to focus and almost compete to pay off my debt as quickly as possible. In March last year I had the opportunity to consolidate my existing debt into a personal loan which cut the interest rate on my debts by over half and I posted a thread asking for advice. While a lot of people advised against it (advice I ignored!), I was grateful for the tales of caution that people posted.

g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it

Didn't commit to doing that.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • Ratison
    Ratison Posts: 263 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Yay, it's so lovely to post here!

The date of your lightbulb moment - I think around October / September 2014. A few things seemed to happen all at once (good and bad), and I just thought - I really shouldn't be in debt. Debts were £3700 at LBM - £2000 on a card and £1700 overdraft. Both were interest free, but would soon have had interest.

Debts at their highest - I think I had nearly £7000 on a credit card, and £1700 overdraft at one point, probably in 2012. So I'd steadily chipped away at the credit card pre-LBM, but the overdraft I just ignored. Like the poster above, I really saw that as my 'zero' figure. It didn't help that it was interest free, because it didn't feel like proper debt.

Debt-Free Date - 8th June 2015. I aimed for sooner, but decided to build up an emergency fund, making the most of the interest free period on the credit card. So I was probably debt neutral a lot sooner than that. I paid off the overdraft first, which was a huge psychological barrier.

Your one pearl of wisdom - Probably quite common on here, but get YNAB! Yes, it's not free, but it is worth every penny. Having to stop and think about what I'm spending and where the money is coming from was a massive mindset shift for me.

Which forum threads helped you? - Shout out to the DFW family on the "what DFW things will you do today?" It's such a lovely supportive community, and even if you feel like your list is boring, it doesn't matter, as no-one there will mind at all. I think it's especially helpful if your debt is 'secret' to have a like-minded group to speak to every day.

I'd also recommended getting involved in no spend day challenges, and others that may help. It makes the whole thing weirdly fun!
  • bassitt74
    bassitt74 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I' am very pleased to announce that I am at long last......

DEBT FREE:j

About two years ago. I was 39 at the time and wanted to plan a special big 4-oh for close friends and family. No problem there as I had been saving for it for a year, but in amongst my planning notes was another note I had made about 10 years ago with rough calculations for having purchased my first home and worked out then that it would take me until I was 40 to do it!! I then realised that I had gotten waaaay off track and actually into more debt in the meantime. The brown stuff just got real and it was time to get serious.

£5,000 originally, but with cowboy DMan companies adding their fees it spiralled out of control and within 6 months of 7 different debts being passed round to a new company each month it grew to £15,000. If the CAB put a stop on one company, they simply sold it on to another. Months of hell!

c. Debt-Free Date

April 28th 2015 and a fully clear credit record the day after. Had one DMan company left chasing me but I took great pleasure in writing to them to point out that what they were chasing me for was settled back in 2009 and was in fact now statute barred since then. :D

-Don't get into a panic, it won't solve anything (but you are allowed a really good cry, that helps release the stress).

-Do get into action. Start little and often, but START. Take it one day at a time and one issue at a time. Unless the need it more urgent.

-Its always better to self-restrict than have others impose those restrictions on you. Tighten your belt till you feel like you're wearing a corset then loosen it one notch. It's survivable and totally worth it when you get to the other end. Those who care about you will understand and those who don't were probably expensive.

-start getting into the habit of always asking for a receipt. Treat your finances like you would if you had an expenses account at work and had to account for all your spending. Print off your statement at the end of the month and tick the receipts against entries. You'll find loads of stuff you've missed as well as ways to make savings. You'll also see what you're really spending your money on and can decide if it should be budgeted for or cut.

Anything that will apply to your situation works. I'd start with the budget planner and copies of your bank, credit card and loan statements first. You can lie to your creditors but not to yourself once you see those figures. You can't tackle the mountain till you can see what it is exactly you're up against.

In the beginning it was the ones covering the debt chasers and how to understand what your rights were and what letters to write. Knowing I wasn't the only one in the same boat helped a lot.

g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW), a link to it

Didn't have one.
  • happycrafter_2
    Options
    I was off work with an injured back about 7-8 years a go and the phone rang constantly and we dreaded the postman delivering any letters and we stopped opening them as well. i was having a bad day painkillers were not working so i turned to the internet and found MSE which lead me to CCCS - stepchange. I phoned them cried down the phone (yep did that a few times more afterwards as well) and finally opened the letters gave the balances and that was the start of our debt free journey.

:o I think between us we had £60k :(

c. Debt-Free Date

8th May 2015

dont feel as if it cant be done, it can and there are lots of people who can help and even just listen to you. I would have odd moments of worry and i would phone stepchange and they would put my mind at rest or I would log on here and read other peoples stories.

budget planner, switching utilities

debt free thread, the food shopping threads, recipe threads, the challenge threads loads and loads more!

didnt have one
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure